Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Monday, November 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by aggiebud »

JoshuaRQI wrote:
Side note: I thought Buddy made a pretty good wager in this game, though I'm not sure everyone would agree. If I'm Buddy, I figure there's a decent chance Roger goes for a new record and bets big in FJ. I am pretty sure Tom is going to try to double up. So I can hope for a triple stumper and be right in there, or if I'm lucky I get it right and am sitting very pretty for day two, and my opponents miss it. If I bet it all and win, I'm still very far behind. All in all, I thought there was plenty of rationale for his wager.
I could not have expressed it better myself.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

markrunsvold wrote:Alex thought the record was still KenJen's and was asking the producers' table for confirmation during the break. Pretty amusing when he learned the truth.
This also happened in one of Joon's games earlier this season.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I was YELLING at Alex that the record was $77,000....

This is a two day affair and I say there was no way that Roger was going to go for breaking his own record in his FJ bet, that would be risking eventual victory for a statistical novelty.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote:
mam418 wrote:But the Anne Bronte clue had so many hints - I think sometimes the writers underestimate the ToC competitors.
Seriously. A ToC player worth his or her salt should get Anne solely off Agnes Grey (a title I believe is only cited so that each Brontë sister has a novel to her name). Giving the Bell pseudonym? Well, okay, if you want to reward those whose memories need jogging for either knowing the logic behind the Brontë pseudonyms or for paying enough attention to the clue to notice the initials. But naming the book, giving the pseudonym, and explicitly saying to check out the initials is just insulting (like the extra hints in the Laffer and Pavlov clues on Thursday).

P.S. Guess where in that clue I had a correct response ready! Also, I gave Suriname as a correct response in my ToC, but it wasn't as beneficial.

I agree with other posters that Craig's two DD clues were woefully easy. For the record, the other Anne Bronte novel that gets referenced is the The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which was a clue in the SJ round during the game I participated in. I have to say that clue (whose answer I knew but was beat to the buzzer over) was more difficult than the Anne Bronte clue in today's game.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:I agree with other posters that Craig's two DD clues were woefully easy. For the record, the other Anne Bronte novel that gets referenced is the The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which was a clue in the SJ round during the game I participated in. I have to say that clue (whose answer I knew but was beat to the buzzer over) was more difficult than the Anne Bronte clue in today's game.
Sorry I overlooked the other A.B. novel. But I'd say a clue that mentions a book title and says "name the youngest Brontë" commits the same underestimation of the contestants that this DD did.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Bamaman wrote:Here was my logic on FJ. I knew Francis since Perkins was the first female cabinet member and that she was Labor Secretary. So I figured it would have the most since it had a head start. I hadn't noticed or even thought about it, but six of the last seven have been female.
My reasoning exactly. Plus a former SoL is the wife of the Senate Minority Leader (Mitch McConnell) from my state of residence, Kentucky, and the current SoL is also a woman.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

All I can think is: I am so looking forward to the next big invitational, just for the possibility of watching Roger Craig play David Madden. Maybe with Larissa Kelly at the third podium. Just imagine.

Rex
TashaOtter
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TashaOtter »

Biggest DD ever?
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:I agree with other posters that Craig's two DD clues were woefully easy. For the record, the other Anne Bronte novel that gets referenced is the The Tenant of Wildfell Hall which was a clue in the SJ round during the game I participated in. I have to say that clue (whose answer I knew but was beat to the buzzer over) was more difficult than the Anne Bronte clue in today's game.
Sorry I overlooked the other A.B. novel. But I'd say a clue that mentions a book title and says "name the youngest Brontë" commits the same underestimation of the contestants that this DD did.

Yes, the previous was a gimme as well, but it was SJ in a regular game. However one compares these things, the clue in today's game was more of a gimme than the previous one.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

And Esquire magazine's take on this amazing game:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature ... dy-6561205

(and yes, these also have insights provided by the players to the author that haven't appeared on board yet)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote:

Yes, the previous was a gimme as well, but it was SJ in a regular game. However one compares these things, the clue in today's game was more of a gimme than the previous one.
I'm going to go ahead and call the clue that gives a title and 60% of the author's name easier than the one that gives a title and 20% of it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Wow.

We are not worthy to be watching.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I will credit myself with a septuple stumper on the 'silk' clue in Petra as none of the contestants nor the four champions I was with got it. Of course, it was a guess based on 'expensive fabric', but heck, I'll take it. I also was yelling "Two and a Half Men" at the screen, but this time to no avail. I guess it's just Joon who operates on my wavelength.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

markrunsvold wrote:
BigDaddyJ wrote:Wow. Not much else to say that hasn't been said already. I went into the game rooting for Roger (as a fellow computer scientist), but by the end I was feeling a little bad for Tom and Buddy who were desperately trying to ring in while Roger was running away with the game. Alex was a little slow on the uptake in realizing that Roger was teasing him about the one-day record.
Alex thought the record was still KenJen's and was asking the producers' table for confirmation during the break. Pretty amusing when he learned the truth.
What we really need is a sajermetrician to do play by play, and maybe a color commentator to whisper about the action to us as it happens.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote: I'm going to go ahead and call the clue that gives a title and 60% of the author's name easier than the one that gives a title and 20% of it.

Okay, here we go, what the heck. Today's clue gave a readily recognized work (per your previous post about Agnes Grey) and the initials A.B. The previous clue gave you that it was a Bronte, but you still had to know who was the youngest and also recognize the arguably lesser known work. So I guess on the previous clue you had at least a 1/3 chance of getting the right answer (assuming you knew the names of the three Bronte's). Today's clue probably had more than a 1/3 chance given the initials and the more readily recognized work.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I'm going to go ahead and call the clue that gives a title and 60% of the author's name easier than the one that gives a title and 20% of it.

Okay, here we go, what the heck. Today's clue gave a readily recognized work (per your previous post about Agnes Grey) and the initials A.B. The previous clue gave you that it was a Bronte, but you still had to know who was the youngest and also recognize the arguably lesser known work. So I guess on the previous clue you had at least a 1/3 chance of getting the right answer (assuming you knew the names of the three Bronte's). Today's clue probably had more than a 1/3 chance given the initials and the more readily recognized work.
I find myself getting fractious here (I only blame myself), so I'll just agree to disagree.
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

dhkendall wrote:Roger definitely lived up to expectations, and his play was a good advertisement for his study method as well! Just like another computer guy who got rich after his Jeopardy! appearances, you can get rich by selling your study system, Roger!
Can I put my order in now? (I'm serious!)
dhkendall wrote:Judges: "C" The Doctor $600: Given was "cramps", I said "Charlie horse". I figured I was too specific, and already negged myself, but was I too hasty?
I said the same thing and initially negged myself. Upon further investigation, I think there may be a case for it. The clue referenced tennis player Rafael Nadal who suffered severe and sudden cramping in his leg during a press conference at the 2011 U.S. open. Wikipedia says that a Charley horse is a colloquial term referring specifically to a cramp in the leg. I'd say it fits all of the information provided in the clue, and it starts with C as required by the category, so I'm thinking we can count it. If someone has a counterargument, I'd be glad to hear it.
code65536
Contributor

Post by code65536 »

Rex Kramer wrote:the possibility of watching Roger Craig play David Madden. Maybe with Larissa Kelly at the third podium.
Mmmmm...
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

I think we can call this episode The Night of the Hunter.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

BigDaddyJ wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Roger definitely lived up to expectations, and his play was a good advertisement for his study method as well! Just like another computer guy who got rich after his Jeopardy! appearances, you can get rich by selling your study system, Roger!
Can I put my order in now? (I'm serious!)
dhkendall wrote:Judges: "C" The Doctor $600: Given was "cramps", I said "Charlie horse". I figured I was too specific, and already negged myself, but was I too hasty?
I said the same thing and initially negged myself. Upon further investigation, I think there may be a case for it. The clue referenced tennis player Rafael Nadal who suffered severe and sudden cramping in his leg during a press conference at the 2011 U.S. open. Wikipedia says that a Charley horse is a colloquial term referring specifically to a cramp in the leg. I'd say it fits all of the information provided in the clue, and it starts with C as required by the category, so I'm thinking we can count it. If someone has a counterargument, I'd be glad to hear it.

Add me to the "Charley Horse" camp