Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), October 6, 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), October 6, 2016

Post by OrangeSAM »

I'll be the pedant who points out that "Hradcany Castle" is redundant. "Hrad" means "castle".
OCSam
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

Amusingly, despite getting 35 for real, my lowest of the week, I'm relatively happy with the score (mostly because of a lack of freezes and dumb misses), and have the following observations;

-I thought it was an excellent batch of questions. Lots of variety and all approximately the right difficulty level. Nothing terribly tricky aside from maybe the Jason Bourne question.

-I might have improved a lot from when I started watching Jeopardy a year ago, but a trio of 37/42/35 correct, with the 42 definitely being an outlier, simply shows my level isn't high enough to be on the show and do well. And that my trivia level is decidedly inferior to many posters here.

-Tremendous respect to those who got 45+ correct today. Hope you all get on the show and put together a nice series of wins. Unless said show is a year or more into the future and I'm on it. :)
satori
Contributor

Post by satori »

forzagiersy wrote:There were a couple toughies on that one, plus I had brain-fade on a few late ones (variable and contradiction). Still think I got in the high 30s/low 40s.
Yeah, brain-fade is a thing. Lacked the mental energy to come up with a few gimmes, including John Brown & "oxymoron," a word I frequently use. Started very strongly, faded to a 36.
Thinking globally, acting locally, snacking frequently.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Got 47 playing from Twitter. I always mix up Chekhov and Kafka for some reason, and never heard of 21 pilots and didn't know John Brown.

This is my best score ever - and the 45 I got on Tue/Wed used to be my highest score. I may be lucky or getting better at this, but it seems possible that the tests are a little easier than previous years. I wonder if that is a conscious choice?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got a 42 on this one, after a 34 on Tuesday (my real one) and a 42 on Wednesday.

It looks like I'll be sunbathing on the side for another year. Best of luck to everyone for getting an audition and the call!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bomtr, Todd and Bill: well done! Next year in Culver City, guys!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I found this by far the easiest of the 3 tests I'd taken this week. After a likely 45 on Tuesday (if geneaology is counted) and 41 playing off sherder's video on Wednesday's, I got 48 playing this one off J!'s video; and there were very few that I had to guess on. My misses:

"The Weeknd" for "21 pilots"; and

I regrettably changed Alaska to Minnesota for the state with the motto "north to the future" (thinking of the former Minnesota North Stars NHL team). So I could have gotten 49, but this still ties my best score ever on one of these.

I wouldn't have gotten MacArthur on the "genius grants" one if that hadn't appeared on one of the late match days of Season 70 of LL. :)
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

42 here for fun with some obvious DOH! late nite brain cramps incl: Africa, Alaska, Mies van Der Rohe, and gave Caged Bird for Color Purple, sigh. Is why not to take the late nite quiz, lol.
I went MEGO... in spite of which, IMHO this was the easier of the 3 which fits a pattern for the last few years of Cali time zone gimme clues... tell me it's not rigged!? :lol:
Spoiler
My Eyes Glazed Over
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

IronNeck wrote:Haha, I got 35/50. Would "misnomer" have worked for "oxymoron" on the last clue? (I counted it wrong at present)
A misnomer is wrong, not contradictory.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:
Mark, I'm wondering if there will be room in the poll where one can select what test they found the hardest (or, if you wish, the easiest)? Or maybe I should create a separate one of my own? (Tomorrow night at the earliest, no time now.)
I think it's better to have a separate poll to cover more choices and I'll work on it now.

46 for me with the four misses predictable with wrong continent, the music group, the NYT guy and the math term.

So, 46-41-46 for the three tests.
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

45 taking it for real.
Eggers came to me about 30 seconds too late.
I had never heard of Mies and I only found 1 hit among the J! questions.
A comparable number of Pavlovs to the last 2 days, yet the tough ones got me this time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

41 taking it just for fun.

I got Macarthur but totally second guessed myself when I read John D. tricksy tricksy

Agree that the Central test was evil, but think I did well enough to pass, which for me still means not hearing a damn thing. the algorithm hates me and/or my zip code. perhaps I should establish a residence in Kalamazoo
Tracyhmcd
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Tracyhmcd »

Knew the answer to #49 but went to type in the text box and must've accidentally pressed Enter :(
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

43/50 (not 4, 8, 13, 25, 26, 39 or 44)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote:perhaps I should establish a residence in Kalamazoo
You won't lack for good beer if you do that.
billiej

Post by billiej »

38 this time so slightly better, but it felt much easier than the other 2 nights.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Just to be consistent, 41 for a 3rd straight night, unless "Walden Pond" gets accepted for 27. Doubtful on that though.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

41 here. Most conspicuous stupid misses were "Leaves of Grass" (I initially typed that then erased and switched to "I Sing the Body Electric"), "John Oliver" (could not remember his last name), and "Africa" (I put down N. America). The score is fairly average for me; a few years ago I did a 46 but have never gotten an audition. But hope springs eternal ;)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cthulhu wrote:41 here. Most conspicuous stupid misses were "Leaves of Grass" (I initially typed that then erased and switched to "I Sing the Body Electric"), "John Oliver" (could not remember his last name), and "Africa" (I put down N. America). The score is fairly average for me; a few years ago I did a 46 but have never gotten an audition. But hope springs eternal ;)
Maybe TPTB fell that the tentacles or batwings may be offputting? :mrgreen:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

45 this time, after a 43 Wednesday and a 44 Tuesday. Viva la consistency!

Misses:
15. World War I (should have known it wasn't that given the "U.S. war" TOM)
20. no guess
26. Maroon 5
31. Mises rather than Mies
42. Budapest
Sprinkles are for winners.