Congratulations!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Congratulations!

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:I am also not a lawyer, but I did see every checkbox and I read carefully everything that was presented to me. They never indicated that I was signing up for any newsletter, and they never said anything about my accepting correspondence from them beyond what was required for the purposes of the test. That much I am certain of.

Brian
My suspicion is that they simply should have replaced "You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the Jeopardy! newsletter..." with "You are receiving this email because you registered and took the online test last week". Or, leaving out that passage entirely since the above already confirmed that you took the test. It's true, everyone should have already gotten a confirmation email after taking the test, so this email is both redundant and potentially misleading, but I don't know if it is truly unsolicited. If you signed up to take the test, then took the test, it seems reasonable that they should be able to email you to confirm that your test was successfully submitted, no? Silly to do it twice, but what are big corporations known for if not if not inefficiency?

Should you receive further emails indicating that you are indeed subscribed to the newsletter, then I'll happily retract this, but for now I'm willing to consider that they sent this email to the group they intended (those that took the test) but mistakenly included a disclaimer applying to a different set of users (those that subscribe to the newsletter).
I'll try to remember next time I receive the newsletter to post it here (or in a PM) to see if Brian received same as Jeff's reasoning sounds logical.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Not to continue flogging the dead horse, but one email confirming I am registered to take the test, one or more email(s) reminding me that I have registered and when the test will take place, along with another confirming that they have received my test results is plenty sufficient.

This email was not only redundant (and unnecessary, as I didn't pass), but very misleading.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:I am also not a lawyer, but I did see every checkbox and I read carefully everything that was presented to me. They never indicated that I was signing up for any newsletter, and they never said anything about my accepting correspondence from them beyond what was required for the purposes of the test. That much I am certain of.

Brian
My suspicion is that they simply should have replaced "You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the Jeopardy! newsletter..." with "You are receiving this email because you registered and took the online test last week". Or, leaving out that passage entirely since the above already confirmed that you took the test. It's true, everyone should have already gotten a confirmation email after taking the test, so this email is both redundant and potentially misleading, but I don't know if it is truly unsolicited. If you signed up to take the test, then took the test, it seems reasonable that they should be able to email you to confirm that your test was successfully submitted, no? Silly to do it twice, but what are big corporations known for if not if not inefficiency?

Should you receive further emails indicating that you are indeed subscribed to the newsletter, then I'll happily retract this, but for now I'm willing to consider that they sent this email to the group they intended (those that took the test) but mistakenly included a disclaimer applying to a different set of users (those that subscribe to the newsletter).
I'll try to remember next time I receive the newsletter to post it here (or in a PM) to see if Brian received same as Jeff's reasoning sounds logical.
From the original successful test completion email I got, subject: "We've Got Your Test. Here's What Happens Next." is also the following in the fine print
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the JEOPARDY! newsletter, your source for information on upcoming events, promotions, sweepstakes, and more from JEOPARDY.com with the address...
So...boilerplate.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:Not to continue flogging the dead horse, but one email confirming I am registered to take the test, one or more email(s) reminding me that I have registered and when the test will take place, along with another confirming that they have received my test results is plenty sufficient.

This email was not only redundant (and unnecessary, as I didn't pass), but very misleading.

Brian
Yeah but...I already said in my last post that their email was redundant and misleading. Doesn't this make yours redundant as well?

As for unnecessary because you didn't pass, it seems clear that that these emails are being sent out to everyone who took the test with no regard as to whether they passed or not, so what exactly is your issue with that part? I get that it feels like they're rubbing salt into the wound, but it seems pretty needless to let it get to you.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that had that split second of excitement. I already received a confirmation email a few hours after taking the test, so to get another email a week later, especially with that subject line, did make the heart skip a beat! Oh Jeopardy, why do you have to play me like that? :P
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

What does the congratulations email look like that tells you that you actually passed the test?
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

harrumph wrote:What does the congratulations email look like that tells you that you actually passed the test?
Related, but here's the first part of an e-mail I got inviting me to an audition:

Subject line: Jeopardy! Contestant Audition in Boston on October 7 at 11:30am

Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Boston area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Wednesday, October 7

Time: 11:30 AM

Where: Boston, MA

You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. To RSVP, reply to this email and provide the following:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

AleBelly wrote:
harrumph wrote:What does the congratulations email look like that tells you that you actually passed the test?
Related, but here's the first part of an e-mail I got inviting me to an audition:

Subject line: Jeopardy! Contestant Audition in Boston on October 7 at 11:30am

Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Boston area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Wednesday, October 7

Time: 11:30 AM

Where: Boston, MA

You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. To RSVP, reply to this email and provide the following:
And, as far as I know, they don't send an email to let you know you passed the test. The best you get is something like the above email that AleBelly got to invite you to an audition (my copy of The Email looked the same too (save the date and location)), which are sent to test passers (obviously), but not all test passers.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I'm glad that they sent this note, but think that the phrasing could have been better (as pointed out by others above). I was actually expecting it because they told us to expect it. However, I was surprised by the delay in receiving it. I took the test on the 5th and the email arrived on the 10th. Shouldn't that be an automated process so that I receive it within an hour or so of the end of the test?

After earlier tests, I would always have a lingering doubt above whether my taking the test wasn't even being recorded because of some random glitch. This notification email at least allayed that fear.
clprez

Post by clprez »

slam wrote:I'm glad that they sent this note, but think that the phrasing could have been better (as pointed out by others above). I was actually expecting it because they told us to expect it. However, I was surprised by the delay in receiving it. I took the test on the 5th and the email arrived on the 10th. Shouldn't that be an automated process so that I receive it within an hour or so of the end of the test?

After earlier tests, I would always have a lingering doubt above whether my taking the test wasn't even being recorded because of some random glitch. This notification email at least allayed that fear.
In addition to the "Congratulations" email, I also received an email not too long after I took the test.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

clprez wrote:
slam wrote:I'm glad that they sent this note, but think that the phrasing could have been better (as pointed out by others above). I was actually expecting it because they told us to expect it. However, I was surprised by the delay in receiving it. I took the test on the 5th and the email arrived on the 10th. Shouldn't that be an automated process so that I receive it within an hour or so of the end of the test?

In addition to the "Congratulations" email, I also received an email not too long after I took the test.
Ditto.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Yes, you should have gotten an email the night of the test, maybe it went to spam folder or maybe they have glitches and they don't get to everyone. However, with the new site design, you can actually check under your profile and see if your test is recorded. Login to your MyJeopardy profile, then click on your name to get to your Dashboard, there is a tab for Online Tests where you can see what you've signed up for and what tests are completed. Right now for me, it is showing the recent Adult Test on 10/4, the Sports Jeopardy! Test on 9/7, and the previous Adult Test on 1/27.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

jeff6286 wrote:Yes, you should have gotten an email the night of the test, maybe it went to spam folder or maybe they have glitches and they don't get to everyone. However, with the new site design, you can actually check under your profile and see if your test is recorded. Login to your MyJeopardy profile, then click on your name to get to your Dashboard, there is a tab for Online Tests where you can see what you've signed up for and what tests are completed. Right now for me, it is showing the recent Adult Test on 10/4, the Sports Jeopardy! Test on 9/7, and the previous Adult Test on 1/27.
Thanks. It's showing that I took a test on 10/5/16 and 1/26/16.