FJs for the 10/24/16 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/24/16 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:53 pm

In Greek myth she was a half-serpent & mother of the Sphinx; in zoology it's a weird mammal that lays eggs
45%
The Centre for European Reform is one of the sources credited with coining this new 6-letter portmanteau word
95%
On her passing in 1913, Booker T. Washington called her heroic, "not unlike some of the heroic figures…in the Bible"
77%
This song released on July 11, 1969 to coincide with the Apollo 11 mission was used in the BBC’s coverage of the moon landing
48%
These 2 title characters who have the same pair of initials both die by stabbing
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
17%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
WORD ORIGINS $2000: The name of this Greek goddess of vengeance is now used to mean an unbeatable rival
58%
FRENCH CONNECTIONS $2000: Baptiste du Cerceau & Pierre des Illes designed this, the oldest existing bridge across the Seine
54%
GARDEN PARTY $400: A symbol of friendship between the U.S. & Canada, the International Peace Garden is on the border of N.D. & this province
66%
My incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue was Platypus.
34%
I had Brexit at the top of my precall list off the Tuesday FJ! category.
7%
Susan B. Anthony was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
6%
Sojourner Truth was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
6%
For the Friday FJ! clue I had Julius Caesar but not Juliet.
13%
For the Friday FJ! clue I had Juliet but not Julius Caesar.
6%

Total votes: 127

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/24/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANIMALS

10/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In Greek myth she was a half-serpent & mother of the Sphinx; in zoology it's a weird mammal that lays eggs

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS IN THE NEWS 2016

10/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Centre for European Reform is one of the sources credited with coining this new 6-letter portmanteau word

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOTABLE WOMEN

10/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On her passing in 1913, Booker T. Washington called her heroic, "not unlike some of the heroic figures…in the Bible"

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH POP MUSIC

10/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This song released on July 11, 1969 to coincide with the Apollo 11 mission was used in the BBC’s coverage of the moon landing

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SHAKESPEARE

10/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 title characters who have the same pair of initials both die by stabbing

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
echidna
Brexit
Harriet Tubman
"Space Oddity"
Julius Caesar & Juliet Capulet
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 1-2-2-2-0 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a triple stumper.

WORD ORIGINS $2000: The name of this Greek goddess of vengeance is now used to mean an unbeatable rival

FRENCH CONNECTIONS $2000: Baptiste du Cerceau & Pierre des Illes designed this, the oldest existing bridge across the Seine

GARDEN PARTY $400: A symbol of friendship between the U.S. & Canada, the International Peace Garden is on the border of N.D. & this province

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Nemesis
Pont Neuf
Manitoba
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/24/16 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Precalled Brexit
davey

Post by davey »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :(
Too slow on echidna - I said Medusa - too dense on Tubman, too confused by J.C. Feel lucky that I remembered the name of the Bowie song, though I worried that it might be a subtitle...
For some reason I said Pont de Neuf...
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Meh. Negged on S.B. Anthony, lone post in that hole atm. Looks like 'Juliet' by herself would be considered sufficient so I'm taking credit for it. Who knows?
Did well on the other topic clues, 'Manitoba' definitely required visual map recall skill! 'Nemesis' in the wheelhouse with Nike of Samothrace and Dysnomia, Eris et alii. :P
8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

I think this is the earliest in a season I've gotten a 5/5 week. Go me.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

No answer Monday; Echidna wasn't coming to me, and I was sure enough Medusa and Platypus weren't right to not say either.
Anthony Wednesday. I had no idea Tubman lived so long.
Was not at all happy with "Space Oddity," but the only other song I could think of was "Blue Moon" and that didn't feel right either.
Had Juliet first.

Manitoba was a lucky guess. If I actually remembered how the border provinces go, I'd probably have said Saskatchewan, and been wrong.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Thu - Brain Damage
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :(

Platypus, only Julius, no guesses on the missed ones.

Over/under on how long before someone breaks the 100% on Brexit?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Juliet Capulet was instaget, but Julius Caesar tripped me up because, although he's the title character, he dies early in the play and isn't the main character. But I still feel bad about it; my only FJ miss this week. The rest of the week - including echidna - were instagets.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Worst week in a long time.

Thought they were looking for an order of mammals Monday, not a specific animal, but would not have come up with the right answer anyway. guessed Chimera.
Assumed Tubman was dead long before 1913 and guessed Sojourner Truth.
Thursday, thought of " Major Tom"', but could not remember the actual title of the song. Also, didn't think the lyrics were right for the occasion, ended up guessing Starman.
Got Julius Caesar immediately, but kept trying to think of another JC in the title of a play. Did not occur to me that the second name might not be in the title.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Over/under on how long before someone breaks the 100% on Brexit?
I am not too proud to admit that I am the first person who has voted in the poll without being able to check off the box for Brexit. In fact, it wasn't even on my radar. I had heard the word before but I didn't know what it meant, and I would have guessed that I had heard it before 2016.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :?: :(

I couldn't remember the French and said "New Bridge" -- I don't know how that would have gone on the show, so I didn't check the box.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Really annoying to have an obviously wrong answer stuck in my head, with the right answer on the tip of my tongue. Oh well.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Right now our poll indicates the opposite of what Alex said on-air, that if you didn't get the male Shakespeare character first, you had no hope.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got Pont Neuf, but I only now realized it means "new bridge." I always figured it was "bridge nine." I guess I never realized the word "neuf" can mean either nine or new. So much for three years of high school French!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote:Right now our poll indicates the opposite of what Alex said on-air, that if you didn't get the male Shakespeare character first, you had no hope.
I don't see how you can draw that conclusion from the poll questions as written, unless you and I have differing ideas of what the opposite of Alex's statement would be.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Mark, it's been my perception that the FJs have been easier this season. Of course, the particular clues may just have been in my wheelhouse. Judging by these polls is this season any different for boardies in terms of difficulty?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Right now our poll indicates the opposite of what Alex said on-air, that if you didn't get the male Shakespeare character first, you had no hope.
I don't see how you can draw that conclusion from the poll questions as written, unless you and I have differing ideas of what the opposite of Alex's statement would be.
Many more of us got Julius Caesar without completing the clue than got Juliet without completing the clue, indicating that what Alex said was not necessarily correct...
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Robert K S wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Many more of us got Julius Caesar without completing the clue than got Juliet without completing the clue, indicating that what Alex said was not necessarily correct...
It's a pretty small sample, but I think one could only conclude that more people got Julius Caesar first - which seemed a more likely scenario.

I think Alex's point was that by getting Caesar (or by assuming that Caesar was correct), you at least narrowed the other person down to someone else with the initials JC. If you tried running through all of the many other Shakespeare characters, you might take a while to come up with Juliet - and I still think it's because one doesn't typically think of Juliet as a stabbing victim. In fact, you don't see many fictional characters - Shakespeare or otherwise - offing themselves by means of a dagger.