Friday, November 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Friday, November 25, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

Knew the play/movie from the clue instantly. Seen the movie. Knew the role. Knew the opening line. Could picture him exactly. Just couldn't come up with his name in the allotted time. Total senior moment.

And if you're here, Liz, sorry it didn't work out for you. I guess one champ in the family will have to do.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I'm not a fan of musicals, have never seen or wanted to see Cabaret, but it was an instaget FJ.

Congratulations to Justin, if you're lurking here! Liz, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you today.
mfc248
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mfc248 »

alietr wrote:And if you're here, Liz, sorry it didn't work out for you. I guess one champ in the family will have to do.
The name didn't immediately register, but I was definitely rooting for Liz once I put the elements of her intro together - I thought "three wins to catch the Sausvilles, and four to pass them." And I loved that upon first obtaining control, her first choice was a middle-row clue.

I made no connection between Alex's opening and the FJ clue, nor have I seen Cabaret - thus "Master of Ceremonies" led me no further than Bob Hope, despite wondering what EGOT awards he might have been nominated for. I had heard of Joel Grey before, but only knew him for one TV guest role - that of the demon Adam in the series finale of Dallas.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I take it Liz is married to some former champ? Who is he?

I agree she could easily have won with a better draw. Still, she didn't do badly and was fun to watch.

I have heard of the show and vaguely of Grey but no way was I getting this one.

I did not like that last DD bet. First of all, he had already won two games and $40,002. So risking this game to protect second place is foolish. And while the $3,000 bet does break the lock, it does not break the crush. So he would then have to get FJ right. A bet of $9,000 means he can stand pat on FJ and win on a miss by the leader. As an added bonus, he has a lock on second place even if the leader gets FJ right.

On a side note, Justin made a bad move in not hunting for the DD in the office door category. He got the second row clue and then moved up to the top, giving Andrew a better shot at getting it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Freaking Brits and their double definition of pudding. Keep forgetting Haggis counts as one over there. (Here, it's just illegal. :lol: )

Wrote down John Gielgud, was actually thinking of Paul Scofield, couldn't have come up with Joel Grey to save my life.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Among the extreme few to instaget FJ here...the Master of Ceremonies autobiography title immediately led me to the synonymous 'Emcee', and I knew that role won Joel Grey a Best Performance By A Featured (Supporting) Actor In A Musical Tony in 1967. Until tonight, I actually didn't know about Grey's 'bonus' Oscar win for the same role.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I'm in the midst of watching "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (for the first time) on Netflix, and just saw an episode guest-starring Joel Grey the other day.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:Justin knew his GAME 7 PITCHERS well, so it was very refreshing to see a player handle that kind of material so successfully. Not that anything in there was hard, but it still required baseball knowledge that can sometimes be lacking on J! in the 21st c.
I considered the Astros for a second, but then I remembered they were in the NL then. :)
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Justin is a friend of mine who is very, very knowledgeable about baseball and an enthusiastic Royals fan. I have no doubt he had a hard time believing his luck when that category popped up.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:I take it Liz is married to some former champ? Who is he?
According to this article Ben Ingram is her boyfriend:
http://www.goupstate.com/news/20161123/ ... rdy-friday
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,600
42 R/3 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: snort, haggis, canoodle/candle

No chance on FJ! I know that Joel Grey is Jennifer's dad and an actor, but that's about it.

That Of Mice and Men DD ticks me off. By mentioning that the title came from the poem "To A Mouse," it's so obvious as to be negbait. OMAM was my first guess, but I figured that there was no way they would have a $1600 DD clue that was nearly a candidate for Stupid Answers.
opusthepenguin wrote:Proudest get from the fourth podium: canoodle/candle.
Ditto.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Canoodle was a NHOI, so I was 4/5 in the OO.
Don't feel too bad. This guy didn't know what it meant either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJbo6QcdEdI
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Poor first round DD bet by Justin; especially against a solid 2-day champion like Andrew, that's an obvious all-in.

Of course, Andrew then returned the favor with his first timid, awful DD wager in the DJ round. If I were to crunch the numbers, it likely reduced his winning chances, versus an all-in bet, by 10% or more. And on a category he displayed strong knowledge in, too. (Hindsight bias aside)

His second DD wager was equally bad, if not worse. Looking through the topic, there are some arguing it was okay.

There is a big difference in terms of win expectancy between being crushed by 1st place and being down a tiny amount to 1st place while simultaneously locking out 3rd, in the event he got it correct.

And I really hope that a 2-day champion isn't trying to maximize his chances of getting second place, as someone suggested.

Also, surprised that they didn't require Phillip II. I initially thought that was what Andrew was debating about.

LT of snort, Of Mice and Men, Phillip II.

Didn't get FJ and very impressed that Andrew did. Considering it's a relatively strong category and I had never even heard of Joel Grey, I will say it was a tough clue.
BigDaddyMatty wrote:That Of Mice and Men DD ticks me off. By mentioning that the title came from the poem "To A Mouse," it's so obvious as to be negbait. OMAM was my first guess, but I figured that there was no way they would have a $1600 DD clue that was nearly a candidate for Stupid Answers.
They also gave you the year, 1937. Since I know that The Grapes of Wrath was 1939 (not too hard to remember!), I knew what they were referring to.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

First - did anyone in the Phila. area actually see any of this game? When I checked at 7 p.m. expecting Jeopardy, college football was on :(

That FJ was quite interesting. I wouldn't have guessed Joel Gray but after seeing the correct response, it made perfect sense. Oh and thanks, MarkBarrett, for posting that Oscar and Tony winner for same role list. Some really cool performances there.

Hi StephenH - sorry you had not heard of Mr. Gray. He's done a lot. On tv, he's appeared as a guest star on Law and Order: Criminal Intent and of course on Dallas. Those are just two that I can name off the top of my head.

And I'll have to bite on musicals. I do like some of them and enjoy theater - but I am more toward Category 13; I think Cabaret would be too dark and not one I'd really enjoy seeing. Sorry Elijah Bailey, but I can't agree that it's a "best" musical. I would nominate The Music Man - cool music and such a knowing, wise book. Second fave - Hello Dolly!

And I really hope Jeopardy actually airs on Mon.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

jwatcher16 wrote:And I'll have to bite on musicals. I do like some of them and enjoy theater - but I am more toward Category 13; I think Cabaret would be too dark and not one I'd really enjoy seeing. Sorry Elijah Bailey, but I can't agree that it's a "best" musical. I would nominate The Music Man - cool music and such a knowing, wise book. Second fave - Hello Dolly!
I actually don't disagree about Cabaret not being the 'best musical'...of the Tony nominated musicals in 1967, I really, REALLY wish The Apple Tree had won instead of Cabaret. TAT has been quite underrated since its original run, and was/is considerably more fun than Cabaret (at least IMO anyway).

Interesting fact about The Apple Tree while I'm at it: It is currently the fiftieth anniversary of its original run (October 18th, 1966 through November 25th, 1967).
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:That Of Mice and Men DD ticks me off. By mentioning that the title came from the poem "To A Mouse," it's so obvious as to be negbait. OMAM was my first guess, but I figured that there was no way they would have a $1600 DD clue that was nearly a candidate for Stupid Answers.
Did you end up saying something else? I agree it seems oddly obvious, but I couldn't imagine what else to say. Grapes of Wrath? That's from the Bible via Julia Ward Howe. East of Eden? Directly from the Bible. Tortilla Flat? Cannery Row? Going out on a limb and ruling both those out. The Pearl? Also a Bible ref. The Red Pony? Maybe Burns wrote that animal into a poem about a mouse? Nah.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

On the phagocytes clue, I said macrophages. Judges?
TenPoundHammer wrote:Belt is slang for liquor?
I didn't get it either. Then, on an episode of "The Simpsons" I was watching immediately after Jeopardy, Mr. Burns used the term. Baader-Meinhof is in full effect.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have always heard of belt as the act of taking a drink.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

alietr wrote:Knew the play/movie from the clue instantly. Seen the movie. Knew the role. Knew the opening line. Could picture him exactly. Just couldn't come up with his name in the allotted time. Total senior moment.
Mostly this..haven't seen the movie/play. Can't even qualify for senior moment...but definitely feels like one as I couldn't pull too many today. Watching it the first thing in the morning thanks to a penguin. I'll blame it on that...

I think the Baseball category was the turning point -- I think the champ swept it, didn't he? Knew 4, went 1/5
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Maven wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:And I'll have to bite on musicals. I do like some of them and enjoy theater - but I am more toward Category 13; I think Cabaret would be too dark and not one I'd really enjoy seeing. Sorry Elijah Bailey, but I can't agree that it's a "best" musical. I would nominate The Music Man - cool music and such a knowing, wise book. Second fave - Hello Dolly!
I actually don't disagree about Cabaret not being the 'best musical'...of the Tony nominated musicals in 1967, I really, REALLY wish The Apple Tree had won instead of Cabaret. TAT has been quite underrated since its original run, and was/is considerably more fun than Cabaret (at least IMO anyway).

Interesting fact about The Apple Tree while I'm at it: It is currently the fiftieth anniversary of its original run (October 18th, 1966 through November 25th, 1967).
Well, yes, Cabaret does have Nazis, but I highly recommend it. Even in the world of musicals, it's not nearly as dark you may think.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

"Maximizing $ won" is a different concept from "maximizing winning %age in a single game".

There are times where those are at odds.

I feel that this is one of those times.

I would posit that we all agree that Andrew is going to require one large bet and one small bet in order to have the best chances of winning. We are simply quibbling over which order those bets come in.

My hypothesis is that while the larger bet now obviously maximizes Andrew's chances of winning this specific game (I'm not stupid and I know the percentages), the smaller bet now (yes, counter-intuitively) increases his overall expected value (due to the eventual need to double up in Final versus the small bet required in Final if he made the large Daily Double bet). And finally, I would also say that the extra money won going small-large outweighs the loss of win-equity going large-small.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan