Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
gnuppet wrote:Hi, there. Middle podium today here. Will post more after.
Welcome! Ok, everyone, remember to make our guest feel welcome! Some of them will wish to have a word with you about your FJ wager, Dan. It... er... could have used a little work. There were a few nightmare scenarios where it would have cost you a game you should have won. Fortunately, none of those occurred. You lost cleanly and you made Justin work for his win. That's not as satisfying as a win, of course. But you played well and looked like a contender. Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this whirlwind experience.
I don't think you have your scores right, Opus.

Justin had Dan in a crush position (10,000 / 15,200 = 65.78%).

Dan was absolutely correct to go (mostly) all-in.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
gnuppet wrote:Hi, there. Middle podium today here. Will post more after.
Welcome! Ok, everyone, remember to make our guest feel welcome! Some of them will wish to have a word with you about your FJ wager, Dan. It... er... could have used a little work. There were a few nightmare scenarios where it would have cost you a game you should have won. Fortunately, none of those occurred. You lost cleanly and you made Justin work for his win. That's not as satisfying as a win, of course. But you played well and looked like a contender. Thanks for stopping by. I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts on this whirlwind experience.
I don't think you have your scores right, Opus.

Justin had Dan in a crush position (10,000 / 15,200 = 65.78%).

Dan was absolutely correct to go (mostly) all-in.
You're right. Sorry about that, Dan. I suppose this is the other reason to be polite in one's criticism. Makes it easier to say oops. Of course, for boardies who are never (willing to admit that they are) wrong, the situation is different.

Here were the scores going into FJ

Justin: $15,200 - wagered $4,801
Dan: $10,000 - wagered $9,999
Jennifer: $5,600 - wagered $1,800

As you say, Dan (pretty much) had to get FJ right to win. (I can't believe I forgot that. I even commented from the couch on his unfortunate miss on the last question. It took away his chance to win on a miss.) There was really only one nightmare scenario in which Dan's bet would have cost him the game--the scenario where Justin over-wagered. This was possible but not likely. I wouldn't criticize a contestant for hedging against the possibility by betting $1,201. But I also have no criticism for Dan's decision.

The real problem bet was Jennifer's. She would have needed a DRASTIC overwager by Justin to have any chance. She NEEDED to go all-in or close to it. Then she could have won on a sole get.
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:IronNeck might need to become IronStomach this week.
Why is that? All three DD bets were good, especially the two all-ins. The only bad FJ bet was from 3rd place, who needed to bet everything to give herself a chance to win. (In the case of 2nd and 1st both getting it wrong)

One thing that surprised me in this game was the lack of a reversal on "Tom Sawyer"; the book is called The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

FJ was tricky. Luckily, I knew the exact year 1984 was published, so I went with that as a guess 10-15 seconds in. I was surprised to be correct. LT of pandemonium, John Ford, and Disney.

Nice win by the champion against a solid challenger in Dan, and if today is an indication, he might be figuring out how to wager properly.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: I was hoping Justin got it wrong, to make it clear that Jennifer should've bet it all. Oh well. Wouldn't want to teach the folks at home proper wagering or anything.
opusthepengqin wrote:The real problem bet was Jennifer's. She would have needed a DRASTIC overwager by Justin to have any chance. She NEEDED to go all-in or close to it. Then she could have won on a sole get.
Jennifer did not NEED to go all-in to win. She beats Justin on a singleton with a $4800 wager. If Dan counters that with a $9199 wager, he can salvage 2nd place on a TS.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Category 13 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: I was hoping Justin got it wrong, to make it clear that Jennifer should've bet it all. Oh well. Wouldn't want to teach the folks at home proper wagering or anything.
opusthepengqin wrote:The real problem bet was Jennifer's. She would have needed a DRASTIC overwager by Justin to have any chance. She NEEDED to go all-in or close to it. Then she could have won on a sole get.
Jennifer did not NEED to go all-in to win. She beats Justin on a singleton with a $4800 wager. If Dan counters that with a $9199 wager, he can salvage 2nd place on a TS.
Since she needs 1st and 2nd to get it wrong anyways, why not bet as much money as you can?
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

IronNeck wrote:

One thing that surprised me in this game was the lack of a reversal on "Tom Sawyer"; the book is called The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
That's certainly true, but they ALWAYS accept "Huckleberry Finn" for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, so it'd be pretty darned inconsistent and require a massive amount of chutzpah, even for the J! PTB, to not accept "Tom Sawyer" alone.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

IronNeck wrote:
Category 13 wrote:
Since she needs 1st and 2nd to get it wrong anyways, why not bet as much money as you can?
True, the extra $800 would be nice but on the down side, she would loose $1000 if Dan overwagers (which he did) and they both get it wrong.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That Goldwater clue startled me as I was looking down doing my scoresheet stuff to mark a correct response off the clue's wording when the unexpected voice came on from the video portion.

1960s COMPUTING $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.) Developed by MIT, the guidance computer for this NASA program that got the first men to the moon and back again had only 72 kilobytes of memory

And this was from the 11/28 episode of Timeless which dealt with the Apollo 11 mission: Image

Hmmm, which one to believe?

OSCAR-WINNING SHORTS $800: "Seal Island" & "Bear Country" were 2 Oscar winners from this studio's True-Life Aventure series

What's that I hear? DISNEY!

1984 was the only thing I wrote for the FJ! clue as 1949 took me right there since I used to incorrectly think the publication year was 1948 as some kind of number reversal thing. I very rarely have my Kindle turned on for Wi-Fi, so not that I have anything improper on there, but Amazon would have more trouble doing a remote deletion on my device.

Dan: Welcome and you had a good showing in one your try on the show. It's tough to overcome losing 4000 on a DD coupled with missing the FJ! clue while the champ and other challenger solve it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: 1960s COMPUTING $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew gives the clue from the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California.) Developed by MIT, the guidance computer for this NASA program that got the first men to the moon and back again had only 72 kilobytes of memory

And this was from the 11/28 episode of Timeless which dealt with the Apollo 11 mission: Image

Hmmm, which one to believe?
The guidance computer and the mainframe are different? (Hint: the guidance computer WAS ON THE LEM)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: I very rarely have my Kindle turned on for Wi-Fi, so not that I have anything improper on there, but Amazon would have more trouble doing a remote deletion on my device.
Same here. I check out 99% of my Kindle books from the library and I learned early on that they'll be removed from the device at the loan expiration date if you've got the wi-fi turned on. Leave if it off and you can take your time reading.

So I've got to assume Amazon did this specifcally with "1984" in 2009 just to test the capability, right?
aicarrie1

Post by aicarrie1 »

I only wish the $200 clue for winning would have been revealed. I have a strong hunch it would have been about the Cubs winning the World Series.
gnuppet

Post by gnuppet »

Hi, all. Dan here. a few thoughts. I'm fairly sure my wager is correct for final. I did a bit of working on these problems before the taping. I dont have to wager everything, i could have just wagered just enough to catch him if he bets nothing, but i have to get it right to win and so I may as well go for the full value. please correct me if im wrong.

So the final confused me a little bit. I get it now and I think it was a pretty easy one in retrospect. Not only have I read the book (I have definitely never read Black Beauty but was somehow able to pull that one out), I randomly had a tshirt of the book and it was my favorite shirt for a while. I don't know what happened to it, I guess I lost it. perhaps I had it and brought it with me on my trip I would have got it right. Also I knew the previous game's clue of the Netherlands because I had read a biography of Peter the Great. It didn't do me much good though sitting in the audience. I think monday's clue was objectively harder than tuesday's though and I'm dissapointed I missed it and also that i was selected for the wrong game :lol:

Just some bum luck on the daily doubles. I knew both of the ones he got. I immediately got the brown university ----> rhode island connection on the his first one and turncoat came to me instantly. I would think that only 10-20% of contestants would have ever got log cabin. Even that may be generous. oh well, that's just how the game goes.

Also, I was fairly sure on Tartarus and John Ford but I didnt trust myself enough to ring in. I still regret that because I was way more sure of those than I was of some of the other guesses I made.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: I very rarely have my Kindle turned on for Wi-Fi, so not that I have anything improper on there, but Amazon would have more trouble doing a remote deletion on my device.
Same here. I check out 99% of my Kindle books from the library and I learned early on that they'll be removed from the device at the loan expiration date if you've got the wi-fi turned on. Leave if it off and you can take your time reading.

So I've got to assume Amazon did this specifcally with "1984" in 2009 just to test the capability, right?
Nope. They were ebooks sold by a 3rd party vendor who didn't have the rights to sell them, so Amazon unilaterally wiped them off customers' Kindles.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,000
46 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Rhode Island (DD), Log Cabin (Republicans) (DD), Pandemonium, Disney
Fishercat wrote:Lost my own coin flip between 1984 and Fahrenheit 451. Both fit the question well but F451 was four years off. Oh well
Same here. I shoulda known better, given how recently Fahrenheit 451 was a correct FJ! response, but I was sure that Nineteen Eighty-Four was so named as a play on the then-current year of 1948. It never occurred to me that a novel might be written one year and published the next. I also lost the mouse/touchscreen and Afghanistan/Pakistan 50/50/90s, so I guess it wasn't my lucky night.

Dan reminded me quite a bit of our own ihavejeoprosy in his facial expressions.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: The guidance computer and the mainframe are different? (Hint: the guidance computer WAS ON THE LEM)
Ah, thanks. No wonder I only got 1 right in 1960s COMPUTING. I should have gone for the coincidence of twice in two nights coming across something about the state of the art computer capacity in 1969.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:

Nope. They were ebooks sold by a 3rd party vendor who didn't have the rights to sell them, so Amazon unilaterally wiped them off customers' Kindles.
This was much written about at the time, with outrage, and Amazon apologized. I'm surprised more boardies don't remember it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:

OK, that makes sense. I thought it was strange that they would just wipe one specific title like that.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Just going off the clue, I had assumed they were pirated somehow, so of course Amazon would nuke them when they detected them. But erasing what people had paid for, just because they unknowingly bought from an unauthorized seller? Yikes. Even with the refund I'd still be pissed. I had to have read about it at the time, but it fell into an actual hole in my memory.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:
That's why I said "or close to it." She needed to get her score above what Justin's would be if Justin made the shutout bet and missed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

xxaaaxx wrote:Just going off the clue, I had assumed they were pirated somehow, so of course Amazon would nuke them when they detected them. But erasing what people had paid for, just because they unknowingly bought from an unauthorized seller? Yikes. Even with the refund I'd still be pissed. I had to have read about it at the time, but it fell into an actual hole in my memory.
And then Apple sort of did the Bizarro version of this when they gave everyone that U2 album, whether they wanted it or not! :)