Friday, December 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7415, 2016-12-02

Tim Aten game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio
Ryan O'Shea, an engineer from Hermosa Beach, California
Asim Modi, an attorney from San Francisco, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $10,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, guys. Yesterday was kind of a strange game, wasn't it? Tough material. Our champion, Asim, spent half the game in the red, but came through in the end to win it. So he's the defending champ today against Ryan and Tim. I'll wish all three of you good luck and direct your attention to the board, where we will now reveal these categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PACHEBEL CANON IN D (4/5)
THE MOVIE/TV STAR (4/5)
BREAK-UPS (5/5)
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE NOUNS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
REQUIRED READING (5/5)
"Y"s UP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Ryan: 10 R, 1 W
Asim: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ryan: $3,000
Tim: $2,600
Asim: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Tim Aten is the first player we introduced on the program today. There's a bit of information about him right here that I think is wrong. It says you have an excessive fondness for ice cream.

Tim: Uh, yeah. It's kind of pathological. The last night some of my friends were in Seattle, Thea and Josh, we couldn't decide which of our three favorite ice cream places to go to, so we just went to all three of them back to back to back.

Alex: I got news for you. It is impossible to have an excessive fondness for ice cream.

Tim: If you say so.

Alex: Can't do. No.

Alex: Ryan O'Shea, engineer from Hermosa Beach, California. You and I have a geographical connection.

Ryan: Yeah, I grew up in Palmer, Alaska. Not a lot of people know about it who don't live in Alaska. But you've been there, because we have a muskox farm, which I hear is your favorite animal.

Alex: Favorite animal. I'm a sponsor of the herd at Palmer. A lot of people are not familiar with muskoxen, and they are marvelous beasts, and I highly recommend a visit to that farm.

Ryan: It's a great place.

Alex: You get up close and personal with the animals.

Alex: Asim Modi is our champion. He's an attorney from San Francisco who got hooked on cricket. Now, when did that happen and where?

Asim: So during my junior year of college, I was sitting in a bar in London. And I--one of my friends just convinced me to go to the fourth day of a test match between England and New Zealand at Lord's, which is, I guess, the iconic cricket ground.

Alex: Yes.

Asim: And, uh, I was just blown away by the whole experience. Like just being able to--I mean, the players are on the sidelines. You can just chit-chat with them. You can bring whatever you want. There's no, like, people checking your bag or anything. You can just go relax. They give you a Sunday paper. You just sit, relax, read and--

Alex: Have tea?

Asim: There were--oh, tea, the whole--

Alex: And ice cream?

Asim: The whole nine yards. It was amazing. And I've been hooked since.

Alex: Okay, good for you. Let's get back into this.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Asim had $2,000, Ryan had $2,600, and Tim was at $3,200. Tim wagered $1,600.

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE NOUNS $800: It's a cloud of grasshoppers & a plague of these relatives

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MOVIE/TV STAR $1000: "9 to 5", "Grace and Frankie"-- both women, please
(Asim: Who is Tomlin?)
(Alex: Both women, please.)
(Asim: Uh, Lily Tomlin, and, uh--)
(Alex: No, sorry.)

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE NOUNS $1000: Termites & penguins both get collective with this collective name

THE PACHEBEL CANON IN D $1000: The Canon shows expert use of this technique in which composers use multiple melodies together

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $6,200
Ryan: $5,200
Asim: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 2, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE TACO BELL CANON IN "D" (5/5)
PERFECT! (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BROADWAY (3/5)
NATIONAL HISTORIC SITES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HEALTH & MEDICINE (3/5)
A RIVER RUNS TO IT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 9 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Ryan: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Asim: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Asim had $2,200, Ryan had $7,600, and Tim was at $12,600. Tim wagered $2,600.

PERFECT! $1200: This adjective for perfection is meant to evoke a newly struck coin

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Asim had $2,200, Ryan had $14,800, and Tim was at $18,000. Ryan wagered $3,000.

NATIONAL HISTORIC SITES $1200: The unusual windows seen here are at the Maryland site named for this woman

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PERFECT! $2000: If you have no equal, you're this, also the name of those sugar pellets used in cake decoration

HEALTH & MEDICINE $2000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an animation of a vein on the monitor.) Healthy blood has plenty of red blood cells to carry oxygen to body tissues; if the number of cells is reduced, causing weakness and fatigue, it may an indication of this condition, from the Greek for "want of blood"

HEALTH & MEDICINE $800: From the Greek for "half skull", it may progress through 4 stages: prodrome, aura, headache & postdrome

NATIONAL HISTORIC SITES $2000: This site 90 miles east of Fresno was a WWII internment camp for Japanese Americans

BROADWAY $800: This current biographical musical ends with a rousing rendition of "I Feel The Earth Move"
(Asim: What is Hamilton?)
(Ryan: What is The Miracle Worker?)

BROADWAY $2000: This alliterative middle play in Neil Simon's trilogy comes between "Brighton Beach Memoirs" & "Broadway Bound"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $18,000
Ryan: $17,000
Asim: $4,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN MYTHOLOGY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Tim: Wager $16,001 to cover Ryan. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $7,601.
Ryan: Your score is within 4/5ths of Tim's, so wager between $2,001 (venusian) and $8,599 (martian), beating Tim's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Asim's part.
Asim: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Ryan, but if Ryan decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A purported image of this subject of legend was published in the Daily Mail newspaper on April 21, 1934

FINAL SCORES
Asim: $4,200 + $4,199 = $8,399 (What is the Loch Ness Monster) (3rd place)
Ryan: $17,000 + $1,515 = $18,515 (What is the Loch Ness Monster?) (2nd place)
Tim: $18,000 + $17,000 = $35,000 (What is the Loch Ness monster?) (New champion: $35,000)
(Alex: "Purported" in the clue because 60 years later, the photograph was revealed to be a hoax.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $15,800, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Ryan: $15,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Asim: $4,200, 13 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $35,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Ryan: 21/59 = .356
Tim: 19/60 = .317
Asim: 14/58 = .241
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"Y"s UP $200: It's the word usually seen on the sign here

ANIMAL COLLECTIVE NOUNS $400: Just as you can have a this "of roses", you can also have one of oysters
(Ryan: What is a bouquet?)

THE PACHEBEL CANON IN D $200: The Pachebel Canon is often played at this type of event & is heard in movies about its planner & crashers
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

PERFECT! $800: When grading the clarity of a diamond, the best is FL, meaning this; I.F. means internally this
(Asim: What is flawed?)

A RIVER RUNS TO IT $1600: The Indus, to this sea
(Asim: What is the Bay of Bengal?)

A RIVER RUNS TO IT $800: The Po, to this arm of the Mediterranean
(Ryan: What is the Aegean?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
locusts
Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin
colony
counterpoint
mint
Clara Barton
nonpareil
anemia
a migraine
Manzanar
Beautiful: The Carole King Musical
Biloxi Blues
the Loch Ness monster
yield
a bed
a wedding
flawless
the Arabian Sea
the Adriatic
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN MYTHOLOGY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A purported image of this subject of legend was published in the Daily Mail newspaper on April 21, 1934

Asim Modi: 4200+4199=8399
Ryan O’Shea: 17000+1515=18515
Tim Aten: 18000+17000=35000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Loch Ness Monster

Daily Doubles
Tim: 3200+1600
Tim: 12600+2600
Ryan: 14800+3000

Coryats
Asim: 4200
Ryan: 15200
Tim: 15800

Combined: 35,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Why did Asim get negged so quickly on the 9 to 5 clue? He still had lights showing and hadn't given any wrong info.

The only other possible response was Bigfoot, but as long as you have the slightest clue where the Daily Mail is at, this is unmissable.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

I wonder if Tim has ever been mistaken for a young Bill Gates.

Surprised to see "anemia" a TS for 3 strong contestants.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Tim wins with a score of tree-fiddy (x10,000) on the Loch Ness Monster clue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3BGs1uxfg

N.B., the video has swearing.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Well, all those damn ads for the Carole King musical were finally good for something.

I don't think they could've described anemia any better than that, and it was still a TS. Also surprised none of them got Manzanar.

FJ wasn't instaget, but Daily Mail made it pretty obvious.

Those DD wagers were _________. Feel free to fill in the blank.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Canon (2), Movie/TV (1), Breakup (5), Animal (3), Reading (2), "Y" (5)
Taco (4), Perfect (3), Broadway (2), National (3), Health (2), River (4)

Lach Trash: migraine

Instaget FJ.
clprez

Post by clprez »

econgator wrote:Why did Asim get negged so quickly on the 9 to 5 clue? He still had lights showing and hadn't given any wrong info.

The only other possible response was Bigfoot, but as long as you have the slightest clue where the Daily Mail is at, this is unmissable.
He first stated Tomlin, and then Alex restated that there were two of them, and I think that when Asim then said Lily Tomlin that Alex was expecting to hear Jane Fonda and just negged him. It's only speculation, though.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Why did Asim get negged so quickly on the 9 to 5 clue? He still had lights showing and hadn't given any wrong info.
It seemed like he was about to add someone else and Alex shut him down.
Which means you-know-who missed it. I spent part of the time wondering what was so special about the year but then noticed the part about the Daily Mail and was home free.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote: The only other possible response was Bigfoot, but as long as you have the slightest clue where the Daily Mail is at, this is unmissable.
Which means you-know-who missed it. I spent part of the time wondering what was so special about the year but then noticed the part about the Daily Mail and was home free.
I wouldn't be able to tell you where the Daily Mail is in less than three guesses, but I reasoned out the Loch Ness Monster after about 10 seconds.
xxaaaxx wrote:Well, all those damn ads for the Carole King musical were finally good for something.
I NHO the name of the musical/book they were going for but I knew it had to be about Carole King.

LT: Anemia, Migraine
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would definitely pay to see a musical version of The Miracle Worker with Helen Keller singing "I Feel the Earth Move".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, all those damn ads for the Carole King musical were finally good for something.
+1
Locally, it's the ads for The Lion King that I now see nightly. No matter the musical playing in town (or coming soon) the ads get a lot of air time. Beautiful was one that was not cheated in promo time and it was either LL or Tuesday Trivia that it came in handy for as well.

I'm glad I did not know a couple in the Pachelbel category so that I did not have to look back at colony (penguins & termites) costing me a perfecto for the round.

Ryan played for second place. Mission accomplished. Tim played like someone who expected to win (or was at least confident he'd do well) and the game seemed like just another walk in the park. He must have some other kind of trivia competitions on his resume.

I did not miss the FJ! clue, but I did take my best stab at blowing it. Daily Mail got me overseas and I wrote Jack the Ripper. He's real, so that can't be right. Legend? I thought about changing to Robin Hood. Legend! Oh! Duh! I felt like an idiot as I locked in the correct response. In all it was done in under 10 seconds, but of course about 8 seconds should have been shaved off the solve time.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm glad I did not know a couple in the Pachelbel category so that I did not have to look back at colony (penguins & termites) costing me a perfecto for the round.
I ran Pachelbel but did not know colony. I don't know how I can face the... group back home.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Probably too niche for a poll question, but who else knew the Pachelbel piece before it was a cliche? Who else had a vinyl copy from the Musical Heritage Society--the record that also had pieces by Johann Friedrich Fasch with Maurice André playing the trumpet parts?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

clprez wrote:
He first stated Tomlin, and then Alex restated that there were two of them, and I think that when Asim then said Lily Tomlin that Alex was expecting to hear Jane Fonda and just negged him. It's only speculation, though.
I was left trying to figure out why Dolly Parton was excluded from the two they were looking for. What was the category/clue?
davey

Post by davey »

clprez wrote:

Alex should not have prompted him when "both women, please" was in the clue - a pause is all right, but not the prompting. At the top of a category if there's some ambiguity about what's required, sure...I don't think he was going to get it anyway, at least not before his light went out...
No clue is unmissable. I know Daily Mail was the TOM, but I'm quite sure British papers could run American photographs in the 1930s as easy as Scottish ones...That's my excuse for Bigfoot, anyway. Loch Ness did not enter my head. The only other response that occurred to me was "fairies," because of the famous fairy photographs. They were about 20 years before, but at least they were in England. I realized that fit the clue even less well than Bigfoot, though...
Last edited by davey on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote:
clprez wrote:
I was left trying to figure out why Dolly Parton was excluded from the two they were looking for. What was the category/clue?
Parton is not in "Grace and Frankie" - the Netflix series the other two star in.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I don't think they could've described anemia any better than that, and it was still a TS. Also surprised none of them got Manzanar.

FJ wasn't instaget, but Daily Mail made it pretty obvious.

Those DD wagers were _________. Feel free to fill in the blank.
First, I knew they were looking for the Carole King musical but could not pull out the title in time.

Anemia. Yeah, I got that. (The response, not the disease.) I don't recall the precise game situation but at some point risk aversion sets in.

Manzanar was brought out of deep memory this last weekend when the LA Times had an article which mentioned the Tule Lake internment camp in extreme northern California. Yes, it's 90 miles east of Fresno as the crow flies, but driving there, no. Google Maps takes you south to Bakersfield and then north again for a trip of a couple hundred miles.

FJ! was an instaget too.
Those DD wagers were
__________.
(Adjective)
Several possibilities here. I normally don't analyze Daily Double wagers.
OCSam
Jurimetrician
Contributor

Post by Jurimetrician »

MarkBarrett wrote:Tim played like someone who expected to win (or was at least confident he'd do well) and the game seemed like just another walk in the park. He must have some other kind of trivia competitions on his resume.
I can't speak to trivia, but he's a former professional Magic: The Gathering competitor (think Ross Merriam from Pranjal Vachaspati's run). From a young age he's been accustomed to playing games for thousands of dollars; Jeopardy! was just a different game from his usual.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Tim_Aten is a bit out of date but a reasonable introduction to the man.