Thursday, December 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7419, 2016-12-08

Tim Aten game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Anton Deljaj, a residential manager from Bronx, New York
Stephanie Snyder, a program manager from Silver Spring, Maryland
Tim Aten, an editor from Vermilion, Ohio (whose 4-day cash winnings total $71,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I think one word that would be a good one to use to describe our current champion, Tim, is solid. Yesterday, managed to turn his game into a runaway. What's gonna happen today, though, with Stephanie and Anton here to challenge? They look serious. Let's go to work, players. Here we go. Now let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HENRIK IBSEN OR HENRY GIBSON (3/4) (Alex: They're not the same person? Oh.)
THAT'S COLD, MAN (3/5)
WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? (1/5)
ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S VISIT THE SOUTH (4/5)
SWEET "T" (5/5) (Alex: And have some...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 8 R, 0 W
Stephanie: 7 R, 1 W
Anton: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Stephanie: $3,400
Tim: $1,000
Anton: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Anton Deljaj is now from the Bronx in New York, but he was born in a place that very few people in our society have visited. And that is?

Anton: Correct. I was born on a farm in Montenegro, which is part of the former Yugoslavia at that time, to an Albanian family. And I came here very young, but one of the few things that's stayed with me still to this day is my grandmother would go out and milk the cows each day. And then she'd come and pinch my cheeks immediately after without washing her hands. And I still can't drink milk.

[Laughter]

Alex: That's a lousy excuse for not drinking milk.

Alex: Stephanie Snyder, program manager from Maryland who has played the tuba...

Stephanie: I have.

Alex: ...under the Eiffel Tower.

Stephanie: That's right, a wild and crazy spring break. No, with my high school marching band. The directors were brave enough to take about 200 teenagers to Paris, and we got to play under the Eiffel Tower for all of the tourists who were there. It was really nice.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Tim Aten from Vermilion, Ohio, a young man who has been obsessed with music charts his whole life. What are we talking about? What kind of music charts?

Tim: For whatever reason, I started watching MTV at a very young age, like 5 or 6. And for whatever reason, their Top 20 countdowns really captivated me. I liked the progression from 20 down to 1. And then I liked watching their year-end Top 100 charts, too. And when they stopped making those, I started making my own instead, and I still do it.

Alex: Are you too young to have been a fan of Casey Kasem and his--

Tim: A little bit.

Alex: I'm not.

[Laughter]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Anton found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Tim had $1,600, Stephanie had $3,400, and Anton was at $2,200. Anton wagered $800.

ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $1000: This small gland in the brain is named for its resemblance to a conifer's cone

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? $600: "Try",

WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? $800: "Rich Girl",

WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? $1000: "Rich Girl",

WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? $400: "Brilliant Disguise",

LET'S VISIT THE SOUTH $1000: From 1943 to 1974 this Nashville auditorium was the home of the Grand Ole Opry

THAT'S COLD, MAN $800: It's slang for an isolation cell in prison; Alaska was "Seward's"
(Anton: What is folly?)

THAT'S COLD, MAN $1000: To coagulate or curdle, it also means to change from a fluid state to a solid one by cooling
(Stephanie: What is freeze?)

HENRIK IBSEN OR HENRY GIBSON $600: Henrik Ibsen got a-Hedda the game with this play about a bored, cynical woman

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Tim: $3,600
Stephanie: $2,600
Anton: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 8, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BIG SCREEN COPS (5/5)
PHILOSOPHY (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HISTORIC AMERICANS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POTENT QUOTABLES (2/5)
BRIDGE-POURRI (3/5)
THROWING THE "BOOK" AT YOU (5/5) (Alex: And those four letters are gonna come up in each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tim: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Anton: 8 R, 2 W
Stephanie: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Tim had $4,400, Stephanie had $4,200, and Anton was at $3,000. Tim wagered $1,000.

HISTORIC AMERICANS $1200: Harry Truman appointed her a delegate to the U.N., where she chaired the Human Rights Commission from 1946 to 1951

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Tim had $14,600, Stephanie had $3,000, and Anton was at $9,000. Tim wagered $1,600.

PHILOSOPHY $1200: A Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry written by Thaddeus Metz, or a movie co-written by John Cleese
(Alex: Tim?)
(Tim: [Shakes head])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTENT QUOTABLES $400: William Lampton described this state as "where the corn is full of kernels and the colonels full of corn"
(Anton: What is Nebraska?)
(Stephanie: What is Iowa?)
(Alex: "Colonels", corn.)

POTENT QUOTABLES $1200: In "Treasure Island", the captain claims he is "a plain man"; this drink "and bacon and eggs is what I want"

POTENT QUOTABLES $2000: Mickey Spillane wrote that this private eye drinks "beer because I can't spell cognac"
(Stephanie: Who is Dick Tracy?)
(Anton: Who is Sam Spade?)

HISTORIC AMERICANS $1600: In an 1896 speech William Jennings Bryan said, "You shall not crucify mankind upon" this

BRIDGE-POURRI $1200: In the first sentence of a 1927 novel, this "finest bridge in all Peru" fatally collapses

BRIDGE-POURRI $2000: Think about who won the battle of Austerlitz & you'll know the 19th century Austerlitz Bridge crosses this river
(Alex: Napoleon won the battle, and the bridge crosses [*].)

PHILOSOPHY $1600: Edvard Munch's picture of this German philosopher is "Human, All Too Human", to quote his 1878 title

PHILOSOPHY $2000: This adjective means "required"; in philosophy it describes a statement true in any possible case, like 2+2=4

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Tim: $13,000
Anton: $9,000
Stephanie: $3,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRINTING

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Tim: Wager $5,001 to cover Anton, but no more than $6,999 so as not to fall behind Stephanie's doubled score.
Anton: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,000 (martian), and you'll win the game if Tim wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Stephanie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 3 major Western typefaces are Gothic, Roman & this one first used in an entire book in 1501 for a work by Virgil

FINAL SCORES
Stephanie: $3,000 - $2,400 = $600 (What is Helvetica?) (3rd place)
Anton: $9,000 - $2,999 = $6,001 (What is Times New Roman) (2nd place)
Tim: $13,000 - $5,001 = $7,999 (What is Ionian?) (71301-day champion: $7,999)
(Alex: [To Tim] Named for Italy. Introduced in Venice. [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $18,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Tim: $14,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Anton: $9,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Stephanie: $3,000, 10 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $27,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Tim: 18/60 = .300
Anton: 14/59 = .237
Stephanie: 10/58 = .172
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SWEET "T" $400: They're the two similarly-named candies seen here

WHOSE BILLBOARD HIT? $200: "Love Yourself",
(Alex: Okay, we got one out of five. All right. All right.)
[Applause]

LET'S VISIT THE SOUTH $400: Here are some of the 650 native Texas plant species at the Austin Wildflower Center named for this First Lady

ANATOMICAL ETYMOLOGY $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew demonstrates on himself.) A large muscle that covers the shoulder joint is what determines your shoulder's shape & definition; its resemblance to a certain Greek letter gives it this name

HENRIK IBSEN OR HENRY GIBSON $800: When this marriage-centered Owen Wilson & Vince Vaughn film needed a priest, Henry Gibson was in as Father O'Neil
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BRIDGE-POURRI $800: Some of the world's most beautiful bridges are this type, like Tokyo's Rainbow Bridge, seen here

HISTORIC AMERICANS $2000: Here's a sculpture of Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Susan B. Anthony & this woman, a Quaker & a suffragette

CORRECT RESPONSES
the pineal gland
P!nk
Hall & Oates
Gwen Stefani
Bruce Springsteen
Ryman Auditorium
icebox
congeal
Hedda Gabler
Eleanor Roosevelt
The Meaning of Life
Kentucky
rum
Mike Hammer
a cross of gold
the Bridge of San Luis Rey
the Seine
Nietzsche
necessary
italics
taffy & toffee
Justin Bieber
(Lady Bird) Johnson
a deltoid
Wedding Crashers
suspension
(Lucretia) Mott
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRINTING

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 3 major Western typefaces are Gothic, Roman & this one first used in an entire book in 1501 for a work by Virgil

Tim Aten: 13000-5001=7999 (5x = $79,299)
Stephanie Snyder: 3000-2400=600
Anton Deljaj: 9000-2999=6001

Correct response:
Spoiler
italic (Tim – Ionian) (Stephanie – Helvetica) (Anton – Times New Roman)

Daily Doubles
Anton: 2200+800
Tim: 4400+1000
Tim: 14600-1600

Coryats
Tim: 14800
Stephanie: 3000
Anton: 9200

Combined: 27,000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

for crying out loud
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Tim already won a game because he knew how to wager from second. Now he wins another because the second place contestant didn't.

Why are they calling italic a typeface? I thought it was a font.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

What an embarrassing week this has been. Anton loses with a weird FJ guess (still better than writing nothing - barely) and because he thought it likely that Tim would bet zero? Why bother showing up if you're not interested in winning??
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

opusthepenguin wrote:Tim already won a game because he knew how to wager from second. Now he wins another because the second place contestant didn't.
I almost wish it was the standard suicide wager. He took the time to calculate staying ahead of 3rd if he got it wrong, and ignored Tim. He packed a whole forest of 4-leaf clovers.

Italics is a typeface? Not just actual typefaces slanted slightly? OK then. No biggie, I didn't really want to go 5/5 this week anyway.

Is it mean that I was rooting for them to skunk that entire Billboard category? Followed by Tim's interview about his love of music charts...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No matter the amount won or the path to get there winning 5 games on J! is an impressive accomplishment. Of course I do reserve five slots for my Bronze grouping in the TOC. Congrats to Tim for getting to play in two Friday games.

Lots of trash again for another 4th podium special. I did not have time to jot it all, but did note:

San Luis Rey, Pink, H&O, Ryman, Hedda Gabler, rum, Mike Hammer and cross of gold

A miss for me on the FJ! clue as the best I had to have something was Aeneid. Sure, tell me Italy after time is up, Alex.

At some point it had to hit Anton that he gave away his chance to win. Five seconds after Tim won? On the way out of the studio? Dinner that night? Falling asleep?

If Tim misses he will have what? 7999. Stay above that. Especially with Stephanie out of the picture. It cost Anton at the minimum $7,000 real American dollars.

Tim has done the jail cell, milk can, and straight jacket escapes. I'm sure he has the Chinese water torture in his repertoire as well.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Aeneid....Aeneid....Aeneid.... No idea.

I was very pleased to get the The Meaning of Life DD, though I almost blurted out "A fish called Wanda!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:Why are they calling italic a typeface? I thought it was a font.
Right? If you told me it was italics, I would have said, "Nope, that's not it."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I took a quick look to see where Tim's 5-day total falls in the double value era:

Paul Nelson 54,900
Mark Brown 68,094
Bob Mesko 68,599
Rani Peffer 68,701
Kristin Morgan 69,098
Lisa Klink 70,150
Matt Kohlstedt 77,803
Ben Tritle 78,600
Tim Aten 79,299

Did I miss anyone?
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote:I took a quick look to see where Tim's 5-day total falls in the double value era:

Paul Nelson 54,900
Mark Brown 68,094
Bob Mesko 68,599
Rani Peffer 68,701
Kristin Morgan 69,098
Lisa Klink 70,150
Matt Kohlstedt 77,803
Ben Tritle 78,600
Tim Aten 79,299

Did I miss anyone?

Code: Select all

Christopher Short - $68,399
       Dave Leach - $78,054
     Drew Horwood - $79,197
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK. I have come this far. Now, I have one thing that needs to happen for me to have a chance to win this game. Oh, look! If that one thing happens, I'm guaranteed to win this game! Wow!

So, let's make sure that I don't win even if it happens.

Incidentally, that is the first I have ever heard of italics being a typeface. I was pretty sure I was correct when the first reveal matched my guess... only to have my bubble burst a second or two later.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Think they may have overshot the difficulty on the Billboard category, especially if the guy who is obsessed with music charts didn't know them.

Stupidly missed with trefoils for Thin Mints, which is strange, since Thin Mints are the only Girl Scout cookies I like. Seems like an easy miss to make too, since both fit the clue.

WLT Oslo, Kentucky, or Boston in the top box?

Finally got an Oscar Wilde clue.

Lach Trash: Ryman Auditorium, Mike Hammer, Meaning of Life

I only know serif and sans-serif. Didn't know Gothic and Roman were typefaces too. Even "named for Italy" got me nowhere.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I thought tonight would be one of those very rare episodes when all three contestants skunk a category. I did it from the fourth. Better to have four stand and stares in pop music than, say, sports.
After a 5/5 FJ performance last week, I'm now 1/4 this week. I misread the clue, saw Virgil, went to the 1501* work in which Virgil acted as a guide, and put down "Inferno." Hey, it would make a great typeface name.
*Actually it's from the early 14th Century.
Hoping for a third lap
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Think they may have overshot the difficulty on the Billboard category, especially if the guy who is obsessed with music charts didn't know them.
I felt it was definitely biased towards under 35 types. Hall & Oates was the only one I could answer, and not a prayer on the rest.
Elijah Baley wrote: Anton loses with a weird FJ guess (still better than writing nothing - barely) and because he thought it likely that Tim would bet zero?
That wasn't even the appropriate wager for Tim betting zero.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

So the TOM on FJ was that Virgil's work was set in Italy which would lead to italics.... yikes.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

I was certain the lady Ibsen/Gibson clue was going to be about someone terrific, radiant, and humble. I am very frustrated that I will never know.

Rex
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Trying to find a notable list of "three typefaces" and as far as I can tell, it doesn't exist.

Said Arial.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

+1 for:
Yikes, yikes, yikes.
Aeneid... That's all I have for FJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!