Cindy Stowell

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Cindy Stowell

Post by Bamaman »

According to his Wikipedia page, Jerry died July 13, 1987. His TOC aired in November 1985.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

And her game is airing on my 26th Birthday. Sad she didn't live to see her appearance.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I wasn't sure when the first Trebek-era TOC aired, but according to J-Archive, it aired a few months before Jerry Frankel's death, so it looks like it may be just Cindy who died before the airing of the episode.
Plus Jerry died after his original games aired too, so he had plenty of chances to see himself on J! Cindy passed away before any game with her was on.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Someone posted a link on the J Facebook page to an article that said Maggie had a copy of her match(es) sent to her so she did get to see herself on the show before she died.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Bamaman wrote:Someone posted a link on the J Facebook page to an article that said Maggie had a copy of her match(es) sent to her so she did get to see herself on the show before she died.
Oh, I am so happy to hear that. I'm sure it meant so much to her.

The tiniest positive in what is otherwise a very sad and sobering situation. Wishing her friends and family as much peace and comfort as they can find.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
JeopardyMom
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by JeopardyMom »

I was moved by this as well. The fact that she was concerned about taking a spot away from someone else, and her desire to win money for cancer research, show a caring and unselfish spirit that makes her too-early death even more of a loss.

Thoughts and prayers for her family and friends. I hope she won a whole bunch of money.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Giving credit where credit is due, Chelsea Cohen tweet: "I'm going to donate $1 per Jeopardy response I get correct while I watch tonight to the Cancer Research Institute."

I looked up Cancer Research Institute on Charity Navigator, and they get four stars, so I consider them to be highly reputable. So I will do so as well.

If you have the means, I encourage each of you to donate. It's a fitting tribute to Cindy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Since we're at her airdate now, I'd like to remind members to refrain from any game discussion in this thread unless/until the management decides it's okay.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Will be following Chelsea's lead as well.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Johnblue wrote:That's incredibly sad. Has that ever happened before?
According to the show, she will be the first to appear after they died. But they also let Jeff Kirby come back, so their record keeping isn't the best.

Yes, it is a sad but sweet story. I saw a report about it on the news. It was nice, but I should add a slight spoil warning as it shows a montage of some of her responses as well as spoiling Monday's game by showing a shot of all three players, including the champ.

Very nice of the show to fast track her appearance.
Well...there was a Bob Mesko, but that was after his Tournament and his appearances. He appeared in 2006 on his games and the ToC, and later passed away in 2012. It's fortunate that we don't often see these kinds of things happen to contestants BEFORE their appearance on a TV show. That's pretty rare for the most part. I usually would think of this happening AFTER they appeared on the show. I remember Chopped faced that same adversary. Debra Whiting got killed in a car accident in June 30, 2011, and that was prior before the taping of her appearance on August 16 of that same year. It seems that I am to question contestants that appear on shows questioning their lives. Take for example, three of Gordon Ramsay's TV shows, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares and Masterchef, 2 of the Hell's Kitchen contestants passed away on the same season. One was in 2007, and one in 2012(?). Kitchen Nightmares had Joe Cerniglia committing suicide by a bridge. And Masterchef season 3. Josh Marks had serious issues with a mental illness. And yet, committed suicide in the act. Same reason as Cindy's...fighting for something affecting them.

Seeing or hearing something like this makes me question about my life choices. I feel the sympathy and seeing a contestant do whatever she can to make it a lifelong dream to be on Jeopardy! is bold for all of us. All of us Jeopardy! fans will remember this for a while...and hope that wounds will heal by the end of this year.

Was just thinking about back in 1993 during the show's 10th Anniversary Tournament..... knowing that seeing the show put in the names of all the semi-finalist players from all past ToC's up to that point to potentially come back to play, one of the semi-finalists from the 1992 ToC, Richard Kaplan, became ill and died before the tournament aired (Richard died on 11/14 of that year and the tournament aired from 11/29-12/3.) Wonder what would have been if he was the player who was drawn out of the bowl to be the participant; fortunately it was Robert Slaven instead.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's the game, folks.

https://vimeo.com/195576049

I uploaded it to a different account, so the rules are a little different. Go ahead and share the link with anyone who might be interested. Just mention Cindy's story and that her family encourages well-wishers to donate to Cancer Research Institute. If TPTB see that and still want to take the video down, I guess we'll have to live with that.
Spoiler
I plan on uploading Cindy's second game game as well, but it will have to be to a different different account. I used up all my space for the week on this one so I could put up a nice high quality video. If she has a third game in her, I'll deal with that as well. I'm delighted to swing with as many punches as she can throw. Retro good luck to you, Cindy.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

alietr wrote:Giving credit where credit is due, Chelsea Cohen tweet: "I'm going to donate $1 per Jeopardy response I get correct while I watch tonight to the Cancer Research Institute."

I looked up Cancer Research Institute on Charity Navigator, and they get four stars, so I consider them to be highly reputable. So I will do so as well.

If you have the means, I encourage each of you to donate. It's a fitting tribute to Cindy.
I started off pledging this, then decided I'd rather concentrate on the show than count responses. So I'm just going to pretend I was really smart and got them all right. :D
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

A goosebumps-inducing game. Awesome.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Tyvvm Opus. Indeed well-played. Cindy was a real champ. :(
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

Another tribute to Cindy, this one from The National Review:

http://www.nationalreview.com/morning-j ... ns-recount

"She didn't just march to the beat of her own drummer, she danced."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Fleeboy wrote:Another tribute to Cindy, this one from The National Review:

http://www.nationalreview.com/morning-j ... ns-recount

"She didn't just march to the beat of her own drummer, she danced."
Nice piece by someone that was friends with Cindy and knew her for many years. Yeah, most of the articles are limited to her battle with cancer and Jeopardy appearance, when there was no doubt much, much more to her life and personality.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Today's game is still uploading. Should be available in less than 10 minutes. Sorry I spoiled the outcome of yesterday's game for everyone. I won't do that again.

https://vimeo.com/195731139
dpj626
Contributor

Post by dpj626 »

I guess 41/Action News/NBC Kansas City cut the end of the closing credits off. I won't discuss the game until we get the ok.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dpj626 wrote:I guess 41/Action News/NBC Kansas City cut the end of the closing credits off. I won't discuss the game until we get the ok.
Yes. It's the best I have to offer. Sorry.

Follow this link to get to the thread where we're discussing the game:

http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3922
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Thursday's game is uploading. It's taking forever, but it's a good clean copy. When it's done, you'll find it at:

https://vimeo.com/195907888/

It'll probably be another 60 to 90 minutes before it's available.