Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by boson »

bpmod wrote:I got FJ! from the 1964 part, but I have been trying to find out what British Invasion happened in 1812. The only 1812 invasion I have ever heard of is the U.S. invasion of (what is now) Canada.

Brian
Yup - there were no invasions of the British into the US until after Napoleon was defeated in 1814, allowing the Brits to have some troops to spare. The clue was cute but wrong.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

boson wrote:
bpmod wrote:I got FJ! from the 1964 part, but I have been trying to find out what British Invasion happened in 1812. The only 1812 invasion I have ever heard of is the U.S. invasion of (what is now) Canada.

Brian
Yup - there were no invasions of the British into the US until after Napoleon was defeated in 1814, allowing the Brits to have some troops to spare. The clue was cute but wrong.
Too bad, putting 1814 in the clue would have made it more challenging, but still gettable.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote:
John Boy wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
floridagator wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Febrile seemed like the choice no. 1 response, but of course fevered had to be accepted as well.
I said pyrexic. Judges?
I'd give it to you.
"Pyrexic" in the science sense may be correct but IIRC the other part of the clue referred to underwear, and I don't think there's such a thing as "pyrexic underwear," so my guess is you'd be negged.
I think you're mixing up different clues. Underwear was referenced in a clue that was looking for "thermal." Either that, or the joke went over my head.
I suspect it's conflation on my part. never mind....
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:All but blackbird in French. Only blackbird I know in song is "Down Came a Blackbird" by Lila McCann.
"Blackbird" by The Beatles was the only one I was familiar with. Apparently there's a few:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbird ... mpositions

FJ took me about 15 seconds longer than it should have but finally it clicked.
I thought the blackbird song was the nursery rhyme Sing A Song of Sixpence (which I heard as a child sung in a simple song). Occam's Razor, folks!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

It occurrs to me that in the term "British invasion," the British may be either the subject doing the invading or the object being invaded. So in 1812, the US literally invaded the British. In 1964, they figuratively invaded us back. Both events can be referred to as a British invasion.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm pretty sure we did, in fact, hold American territory in 1812, (like when William Hull surrendered Detroit to us) so technically the area must have been invaded in order to take it.

I just usually consider "invade" to be an act of first aggression.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
John Boy wrote:
"Pyrexic" in the science sense may be correct but IIRC the other part of the clue referred to underwear, and I don't think there's such a thing as "pyrexic underwear," so my guess is you'd be negged.
I think you're mixing up different clues. Underwear was referenced in a clue that was looking for "thermal." Either that, or the joke went over my head.
Underwear isn't supposed to go over your head.
Unless it's part of your superhero costume!
Or you just received an atomic wedgie.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

boson wrote:

Brian
Seems to me I remember reading about the White House being burned sometime during that war. --Bob
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Bob78164 wrote:
boson wrote:

Brian
Seems to me I remember reading about the White House being burned sometime during that war. --Bob
Yeah, sorry. You and OntarioQuizzer were both right and I was wrong. The British did send troops into the USA during the war earlier than 1814.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Willie Nelson, thermal (DD), Davenport, burn, Cape Horn, Ernest Hemingway, craps

I avoided the box of shame!
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DE NERO - anyone else neg on fiddle for lyre?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

morbeedo wrote:DE NERO - anyone else neg on fiddle for lyre?
The clue mentioned the instrument was harp-like. (I myself negged with lute—just me getting my four-letter L instruments mixed up. I have to remember that a luthier is a guitar maker to keep them straight.)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Thanks to opus for uploading the full game, as I missed the first 4 categories of SJ due to the Berkeley riots. And I was very curious about those categories, since I had 8 LT during the rest of the game. Alas, there were no LT at all in those first 4 categories and I didn't break my record of 9.

LT: Seneca, craps, praetorian guard, Ernest Hemingway, thermal, Davenport, burn, Cape Horn

FJ: Took me about 15 seconds, but I got there.

As for the game, Lisa, as she often did during her run, underbet her DDs, which was fine on the second one (she had a lead and wasn't confident in the category), but absolutely unforgivable on a DD during SJ. It cost her a crush, and would have put her very close to a lock.