Friday, February 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Friday, February 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Linear Gnome »

Bamaman wrote:This was one of those where I knew who it was but couldn't pull the name.
Yup, me too.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Based on the recap, we're gonna get another "Lisa Friday Face". :)

And the ToC tracker is void of 5-timers again. Ah, well.
Which tracker are you referring to? The official J! website tracker doesn't even have Lisa on it, which confuses me. Are they starting a new one for 2017, and if so, where is it?

Confused... :?:
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Bamaman wrote:This was one of those where I knew who it was but couldn't pull the name.
Yup, me too.
Me three. I easily came up with George Smiley (character) and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (title) but Ludlum and Maclean, both of which I knew were wrong, were stuck in my mind and refused to make space for LeCarre.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I really enjoyed the incorrect responses "Quiznos" and "Law of Conservation of Gas"

I guessed John Le Carre because I couldn't think of another spy author except Alan Furst (He's No. 1). I was really confused by the clue "hung up my cloak and dagger 40 years ago" and "contemporary author." I thought he had more recent works and he does. I remembered long after the clue that he actually worked as a spy. The clue made a lot more sense after that.

Also I recently watched "The Night Manager" short series based on Le Carre's work and it was really good. It's on Amazon Prime.

I was definitely not fast enough on the countries clues. That was pretty impressive how fast Tyler was.

Alpha Centauri is correct and not Proxima Centauri because they asked for the star system and not the star.

I think I should go watch "How Green Was My Valley."
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Based on the recap, we're gonna get another "Lisa Friday Face". :)

Which tracker are you referring to? The official J! website tracker doesn't even have Lisa on it, which confuses me. Are they starting a new one for 2017, and if so, where is it?

I would think Myron is referring to this one: http://thejeopardyfan.com/toc-tracker

There is one here as well: http://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-tocnext.html

The official one will probably be updated when Lisa is finished playing and it's not a calendar year thing.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Even though I know he has not been with us for just over three years now, I went with Tom Clancy for FJ, not able to think of anyone better/alive. I'm familiar with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but it's been one of several 'know the title, can't remember the author to save my life' bugbears for me that really and finally need to be remedied. I seriously ought to get around to reading AND seeing (both the BBC series and movie) TTSS much sooner than later...
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I mean, I know that U.S. folks, generally speaking, are not hip on all things Canada... but seriously, you don't know that there is just one country across the Great Lakes from you??

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:I mean, I know that U.S. folks, generally speaking, are not hip on all things Canada... but seriously, you don't know that there is just one country across the Great Lakes from you??

Brian
I didn't think that Lake Superior was the TOM. For all I know it could've been any country, and we were just randomly expected to know who those seven people were.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Maven wrote:Even though I know he has not been with us for just over three years now, I went with Tom Clancy for FJ, not able to think of anyone better/alive. I'm familiar with Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, but it's been one of several 'know the title, can't remember the author to save my life' bugbears for me that really and finally need to be remedied. I seriously ought to get around to reading AND seeing (both the BBC series and movie) TTSS much sooner than later...
Oh, do watch the series. Alec Guinness as George Smiley may be the best TV performance of all time.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MarkBarrett wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:

I would think Myron is referring to this one: http://thejeopardyfan.com/toc-tracker

The official one will probably be updated when Lisa is finished playing and it's not a calendar year thing.
Ah - thank you very much. What confused me about the J! tracker is that I know champions such as Buzzy, Seth and Andrew were shown even as they were still playing, though their win totals generally lagged a couple of days behind, so I was surprised not to see Lisa there.
davey mcdaveface

Post by davey mcdaveface »

Because he said "star system," not "star."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:

Fikkle Fame has one too (that's where I get most of my updates from), but I just meant the tracker in my head.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I got FJ quickly but I wasn't 100% sure. I assume Le Carre is still living? For the clue wherein the answer was "mass" (The Law of the Conservation...) could "matter" also work or is that too specific?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Johnblue wrote:I assume Le Carre is still living?
Correct assumption.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ was easy for me. I went with LeCarre and just assumed I had pissed away my imaginary bet. I hate novels and fiction, but I know the name John LeCarre is associated with spy thrillers. Stephen King = horror, and some lawyer dude = legal (can't think of his name and don't wanna waste brain cells on it).

I can't believe Lisa dodged another 2nd place bullet. Go girl!

I didn't know the miniskirt lady and chose the bikini. I also kneejerked into the Supreme Court without reading the clue correctly.

Good battle in single J, and good finish by the champ, tough loss for tyler.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

While flipping through my notebook I came across a game from January of 2002 that has not yet been entered into the J-Archive with the J! round category of SPY FICTION. I missed the bottom 4 clues, so I wrote them down (in possibly abbreviated form). In light of today's FJ, how would you have done?

$400: 5 years w/British Foreign Service put a Smiley on his face
$600: Odessa File, The Dogs of War
$800: wrote Spy Story; Spy Hook; Spy Line; Spy Sinker; Yesterday's Spy; Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Spy
$1000: The Icarus Agenda, The Osterman Weekend, The Matarese Circle
Spoiler
$400: Who is John Le Carre?
$600: Who is Frederick Forsyth?
$800: Who is Len Deighton?
$1000: Who is Robert Ludlum?
I wonder if the $600 and $1000 clues had extra hints that I didn't pick up?

Recall also the SPY NOVELS category from the 2010 ToC.

OK, I'm done.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Johnblue wrote:I got FJ quickly but I wasn't 100% sure. I assume Le Carre is still living? For the clue wherein the answer was "mass" (The Law of the Conservation...) could "matter" also work or is that too specific?
The conservation laws can be expressed with units like kg or kJ. There are no units for "Matter" unless you consider it a synonym for mass and then you could say you had 15 kg of matter. It would be clear what you meant but it isn't really used that way.

The clue also hinted the word "Heavy" so I think they were looking specifically for mass. It might have been accepted but probably not.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:While flipping through my notebook I came across a game from January of 2002 that has not yet been entered into the J-Archive with the J! round category of SPY FICTION. I missed the bottom 4 clues, so I wrote them down (in possibly abbreviated form). In light of today's FJ, how would you have done?

$400: 5 years w/British Foreign Service put a Smiley on his face
$600: Odessa File, The Dogs of War
$800: wrote Spy Story; Spy Hook; Spy Line; Spy Sinker; Yesterday's Spy; Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Spy
$1000: The Icarus Agenda, The Osterman Weekend, The Matarese Circle
Spoiler
$400: Who is John Le Carre?
$600: Who is Frederick Forsyth?
$800: Who is Len Deighton?
$1000: Who is Robert Ludlum?
I wonder if the $600 and $1000 clues had extra hints that I didn't pick up?

Recall also the SPY NOVELS category from the 2010 ToC.

OK, I'm done.
I know the $1000 because I know The Osterman Weekend, which has come up a few times on J!. More generally, the author's novels all seem to be things like The X Y so that might be a hint in itself.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

28 right, 2 DDs

Swept the American History 5/5, and got 4/5 in Silent N,
Sorting Hat - 3/5, U.N. - 3/5, TV 3/5, Story 3/5, Science 3/5, Movie 2/5, Number 2/5

I loved the U.N. category as well, its better to just picture a major UN country in the U.N. that starts with the first letter than to think what comes next alphabetically, whats the first major UN country you can think of that starts with F, Finland comes first to me. Turkmenistan, was a nice pull though.

For, FJ i did get it right though it took me a little longer to recollect his name, i was thinking, who did Night Manager, then Le Carre popped right in, but got it right at the end.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

[quote="MattKnowles"]I really enjoyed the incorrect responses "Quiznos" and "Law of Conservation of Gas"

I guessed John Le Carre because I couldn't think of another spy author except Alan Furst (He's No. 1). I was really confused by the clue "hung up my cloak and dagger 40 years ago" and "contemporary author." I thought he had more recent works and he does. I remembered long after the clue that he actually worked as a spy. The clue made a lot more sense after that.

If by "he's no. 1" you mean Furst is the best spy author going I'm with you 100%. LeCarre is great, Ambler is too, Furst surpasses them. He doesn't get close to the recognition he deserves; my guess is he's too unknown for the J! canon, maybe just maybe the TOC