Learned League 72 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 72 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

My BWA attempt on Thule of 'lutefisk' got no love. I overthought Young Turks and went with Kemalites, which is sorta right, but I guess not right enough.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote:I went down that road, too, but Maersk didn't sound quite Nordic enough (and, as it happens, it's Danish). Then I recalled "Ultima Thule" from the library in The Name of the Rose and it all clicked as I could also see those Thule bike racks and luggage carriers.
Bike racks and luggage carriers? We don't have that in NYC. I put Valhalla knowing full well it was wrong :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
cmp146 wrote:BUS/ECON -- What Swedish-based producer of cargo carriers and transport equipment takes its name from a classical term for a location in the extreme north, beyond the boundaries of the known world? It's also the former name of the northern Greenland town of Qaanaaq.

"Cargo carriers- oh, those containers on trains and the PanaMax ships and things.... The ones we see at the railroad crossing. Mmmmm Maersk! Maersk! Wow, I wonder how many people are going to figure this out." <submit> <facepalm> I am so dumb. I totally misunderstood the question. We see those things all over, and have a Thule bike rack stashed in our garage. At least 18% of llamas are equally dumb and reached the same conclusion.
I went down that road, too, but Maersk didn't sound quite Nordic enough (and, as it happens, it's Danish). Then I recalled "Ultima Thule" from the library in The Name of the Rose and it all clicked as I could also see those Thule bike racks and luggage carriers.
My road stopped at the railroad crossing with all the Maersk containers. Never heard of Thule.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I suspect the number of Thule roof boxes and other equipment you see varies greatly by where you live. Those of us in the west, maybe especially the Pacific Northwest, see them constantly.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I spent a long time coming up with Maersk as well. Oh well...

I think Siegfried was my luckiest guess of all time. I said to myself " "Flight of the Valkeries" is by Wagner, but I dont know the names of any of his operas... Is Lohengrin an opera? Is there an opera named after that guy that saves Brunhilde? Siegfried? I'll go with that"

Still leading my rundle...for the moment.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I answered Maersk. Ever since I did a software presentation for them in the mid-1980s, it's been hard not to notice their ubiquitous containers. Don't see Thule plastered around in SoCal, though when I saw the answer, I recognized it as a (former) town name in Greenland. If in 30 years I had somehow committed to long-term memory that Maersk is Danish, I might have gotten around to guessing Thule from the Greenland connection.

Got burned for 5 points by an opponent with relatively poor Classical Music and Science stats. :? I'm good with science and didn't know meniscus -- though I've heard the term -- so I figured it was a hard question. Apparently NOT.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OSXpert wrote:I think Siegfried was my luckiest guess of all time. I said to myself " "Flight of the Valkeries" is by Wagner, but I dont know the names of any of his operas... Is Lohengrin an opera? Is there an opera named after that guy that saves Brunhilde? Siegfried? I'll go with that".
"Wagner hero" + "WWII defensive line" came up recently on Jeopardy! so I made it a point to look at Wagner again, especially the elements of the Ring Cycle. NTS, I nailed this one cold, even got the spelling right!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

My QvH this season is 88 and I still haven't gotten more than 2 right on any Match Day. My normally great defense is in the tank too. So no, this season hasn't been easier for me.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

RandyG wrote:I answered Maersk. Ever since I did a software presentation for them in the mid-1980s, it's been hard not to notice their ubiquitous containers. Don't see Thule plastered around in SoCal, though when I saw the answer, I recognized it as a (former) town name in Greenland. If in 30 years I had somehow committed to long-term memory that Maersk is Danish, I might have gotten around to guessing Thule from the Greenland connection.

Got burned for 5 points by an opponent with relatively poor Classical Music and Science stats. :? I'm good with science and didn't know meniscus -- though I've heard the term -- so I figured it was a hard question. Apparently NOT.
I also went with Maersk for the same reason you did. And I talked myself out of meniscus because I remembered that it was a body part and changed my answer. Oddly, I ran across the scientific term "meniscus" in a book explaining the science of beer.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

If the alternate hint for Thule had been about the early 20th century occult group that had many high ranking Nazi members, instead of old town name in Greenland, I would have gotten the question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote:Oddly, I ran across the scientific term "meniscus" in a book explaining the science of beer.
How to measure the specific gravity using a hydrometer?
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Someone please explain to me how now that I've tried to study and improve my numbers, I've performed drastically worse LOL

Oh well. Not in double digit losses . . . yet.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Urgh, I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory again. Assigned 3 points for the Steinbeck question to someone who was 0-6 in literature. Then he get it :(

I also got my 3, and it really came down to me getting my 0 right, and him getting a 2 right.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I had been looking forward to playing comic book legend Len Wein this coming week, but I just learned that the Lively One had serious spinal surgery the other day. :cry: I hope that he recovers soon, and not just so that I have the honor of losing to him someday (when he's able to play this season, he's done very well).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I have 3 wins in my last 6 matches, but in each of those 3 wins, I had the same number of correct answers as my opponent and just defended better. It's satisfying to get on a roll like that. I need to be good on defense in order to succeed in my rundle.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Just a reminder, especially for LL rookies - the Midsummer Classic is today. Submissions are due by noon ET Monday.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This season is kind of going for me the way that last season did. I started off really strong, and then struggled after the first 1-2 weeks of the season. This past week I went 9/30 on the questions. Luckily though my opponents didn't do too well, and I managed to come out of it with a 1-2-2 record. Unlike last season I have been lucky with CAA, as I currently have the 4th lowest in my rundle. But I still don't like missing so many questions; perhaps that thread about it being the easiest season ever, when it had been for me, jinxed me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

ElendilPickle wrote:Just a reminder, especially for LL rookies - the Midsummer Classic is today. Submissions are due by noon ET Monday.
Thanks for the reminder!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:Oddly, I ran across the scientific term "meniscus" in a book explaining the science of beer.
How to measure the specific gravity using a hydrometer?
I believe that meniscus came up in the course of an explanation of surface tension. An entire chapter of the book was devoted to bubbles (e.g., why nitrogen "widgets" result in smaller bubbles and a smoother taste), and another chapter dealt with yeast population dynamics). Science can be fun.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Public Service Announcement: The Midseason Classic is this weekend.
econgator wrote:
Woof wrote:
cmp146 wrote:BUS/ECON -- What Swedish-based producer of cargo carriers and transport equipment takes its name from a classical term for a location in the extreme north, beyond the boundaries of the known world? It's also the former name of the northern Greenland town of Qaanaaq.

"Cargo carriers- oh, those containers on trains and the PanaMax ships and things.... The ones we see at the railroad crossing. Mmmmm Maersk! Maersk! Wow, I wonder how many people are going to figure this out." <submit> <facepalm> I am so dumb. I totally misunderstood the question. We see those things all over, and have a Thule bike rack stashed in our garage. At least 18% of llamas are equally dumb and reached the same conclusion.
I went down that road, too, but Maersk didn't sound quite Nordic enough (and, as it happens, it's Danish). Then I recalled "Ultima Thule" from the library in The Name of the Rose and it all clicked as I could also see those Thule bike racks and luggage carriers.
My road stopped at the railroad crossing with all the Maersk containers. Never heard of Thule.
I was in the Air Force from 1982 to 1986 and became aware of Thule Air Base, Greenland. Having no other guess, I went with Thule. I was similarly lucky on the "Young Turks" question. "'Young Turks' is a thing, right? Maybe that's where the expression comes from."

I'm a little irritated that I didn't think harder about the Mode question earlier in the week. I thought it was an odd thing to say in the question, which should have told me it was a clue, but I didn't follow the bread crumbs.