Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, February 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MADAM SECRETARY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENGLISH LIT (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
1 VOWEL, 3 TIMES (4/5)
STATUES (3/5)
NEWS ON THE SCREEN (5/5)
NUTRITION (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Mohan: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Allison: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Corey: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mohan snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Allison had $3,000, Mohan had $5,800, and Corey was at $2,000. Mohan wagered $200.

ENGLISH LIT $1200: "A Trivial Comedy for Serious people" is the subtitle of this Oscar Wilde play of mistaken identity
(Mohan: I'm going to take a guess here. What is [*]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Corey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Allison had $4,600, Mohan had $7,600, and Corey was at $3,600. Corey wagered $2,000.

MADAM SECRETARY $2000: Sally Jewell, 2009 winner of the Audubon Society's Rachel Carson Award, was named secretary of this in 2013
(Corey: What is the DEP? The Department of...)
(Alex: Environmental Protection? No.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENGLISH LIT $1600: "Bring Up the Bodies" is Hilary Mantel's sequel to this historical novel about the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell

NUTRITION $2000: Avocados are high in fat, but it's mostly this 15-letter kind that may lower your cholesterol

1 VOWEL, 3 TIMES $2000: The leather seen here, used for bindings, is named for this African country

STATUES $400: Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, burned down in 1864, has the soldier seen here facing this direction

STATUES $800: Russia's 278-foot "The Motherland Calls" statue commemorates the 1942-43 battle of this city

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Mohan: $14,800
Allison: $9,000
Corey: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SOUTH AMERICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Mohan: Wager $3,201 to cover Allison.
Allison: You have the hope of surpassing Mohan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $5,801 to force Mohan to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Corey.
Corey: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This capital's name is a Latinized form of the name of its country

FINAL SCORES
Corey: $6,000 + $5,000 = $11,000 (What is Brasilia?) (3rd place)
Allison: $9,000 + $4,000 = $13,000 (What is Brasilia?) (2nd place)
Mohan: $14,800 + $800 = $15,600 (What is Brasilia?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Mohan: $15,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Allison: $8,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Corey: $8,000, 17 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Mohan: 20/59 = .339
Corey: 18/59 = .305
Allison: 13/59 = .220
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FANTASTIC BEASTS $200: This creature was spawned when Perseus decapitated Medusa

& WHERE TO FIND "EM" $1000: This country has Saudi Arabia on its southwest border & Oman on its southeast border
(Corey: What is Yemen?)

MADAM SECRETARY $1200: In 1975 Carla Anderson Hills became the first female head of this department that ensures access to shelter
(Mohan: What is Housing? Department of Housing?)

NEWS ON THE SCREEN $1200: "Al Punto" (To the Point) is an interview show hosted by Jorge Ramos on this network
(Corey: What is Telemundo?)

NUTRITION $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a diagram on the monitor.) In 2011 the USDA replaced the food pyramid with MyPlate, making it easier to visualize a balanced meal, which includes a serving of dairy, and half your plate made up of fruit and vegetables, and the other half protein and these, whole and refined

NUTRITION $1200: For 19-to-50-year-olds, the RDA for this mineral is 8 mg for men, 18 mg for women & even more for vegetarians
(Allison: What is recommended daily allowance?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Luxembourg
on the house
Kris Bryant
a deer
gratis
Tempe
horses
The Importance of Being Earnest
the Interior
Wolf Hall

monounsaturated
Morocco
south
Stalingrad
Brasilia
Pegasus
the United Arab Emirates
Housing and Urban Development
Univision
grains
iron
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SOUTH AMERICA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This capital's name is a Latinized form of the name of its country

Allison Holley: 9000+4000=13000
Mohan Malhotra: 14800+800=15600 (semifinalist)
Corey Schmalzle: 6000+5000=11000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Brasilia

Daily Doubles
Allison: 1600+1000
Mohan: 5800+200
Corey: 3600-2000

Coryats
Allison: 8800
Mohan: 15800
Corey: 8000

Combined: 32,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Corey guessing Zobrist must had people yelling in the Chicago area and by the end of the game that turned out to be an even more painful miss.

This city slicker thought any of Lippizzaners, Morgans, Percherons were giveaways for horses, yet even with all three it was still a TS.

I wrote the correct response for the FJ! clue, but never stopped roaming the SA map during think time to make sure there was not a place that fit better.

Often in a tournament a triple hit clue will produce a wildcard or two. Depending on how QF 5 goes it's possible that this game will only have Mohan moving on to next week.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

From the February 7, 2017 game thread:
dinghammer wrote:I would have liked to see the rest of the Man Booker Prize category. I knew the two we saw.
I suspect that ENGLISH LIT for $1600 may have been repurposed from those leftovers.
“Bring Up the Bodies” is Hilary Mantel’s sequel to this historical novel about the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell
Spoiler
What is (2009 Man Booker Prize winner) Wolf Hall?
Jeopardy sure asks about it a lot. I didn't have a clue.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Corey started out strong but lost the Big Mo somewhere along the way. I said Moroccan for the kind of binding and think I would have been mulcted because it doesn't have three o's like the country does. FJ was instaget, then I thought, could it really be that easy?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Surprised "What is Eliot?" was accepted without being asked to be more specific.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Seriously, why the blatant applause machine in the intro?

"Shareware" is not free. That was a bad clue.

I was designing a centaur character earlier, and still blanked on the word.

How the world did I know Oracle at Delphi?

Ran Websites.

Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued. Couldn't pull Tempe in time either.

"Well, Sparkletts is something that I've never heard of, so no way could they possibly be going for 'water' here."

News for $400 seemed like negbait for Cracked. And $1,200 seemed like a Telemundo/Univision coinflip.

WLT "south" in Statues at $400? That seemed like a very opaque clue.

Lach Trash: On the house, horses.

"Well, let's see. Sao Paulo, Quito, Montevideo, La Paz, Sucre, Lima, Santiago, Buenos Aires, that's all the ones I can think of, and none of them fit." I keep forgetting about Brasilia, because it just feels like Sao Paulo should be the capital. Just like how Burlington feels to me like it should be Vermont's capital.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I wonder what the thought process was in those FJ wagers by Corey and Allison. You bet just enough to leave yourself pretty vulnerable to going home?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote:I wonder what the thought process was in those FJ wagers by Corey and Allison.
Simple -- there was none.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $36,200
49 R/6 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: on the house, Kris Bryant, Tempe, horses, Stalingrad

I was a negging machine in this game. Constellation for star, Yemen for UAE, polyunsaturated for monounsaturated, EPA for Interior (even though I know that the former is an agency rather than a Cabinet department)...
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
“Bring Up the Bodies” is Hilary Mantel’s sequel to this historical novel about the rise to power of Thomas Cromwell
Spoiler
What is (2009 Man Booker Prize winner) Wolf Hall?
Jeopardy sure asks about it a lot. I didn't have a clue.
Me neither, but it's interesting that it's nearly identical to this clue from 2013:
In "Bring Up the Bodies", Hilary Mantel continues the 16th c. saga of Thomas Cromwell, begun in this book
TenPoundHammer wrote:Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued. Couldn't pull Tempe in time either.
The college football national championship mentioned in the clue happened less than six weeks ago. Just stop.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Clemson is a town?!?! Talk about undervalued. Couldn't pull Tempe in time either.
The college football national championship mentioned in the clue happened less than six weeks ago. Just stop.
I've heard of the university, but it never crossed my mind that it's in a town of the same name. Remind me of that the next time I pass by University of Michigan, which is obviously located in the town of Universityofmichigan. Or Harvard, which is clearly located in the town of Harvard. Or Texas A&M, which is located in the town of Texasaandm.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I've been trying to forget that game.

No, not great FJ wagers, but at least Allison bet to shut out Corey.

I almost made the classic mistake of not RTFQ and put down Brazil before fixing it just in time.

All I know about The Importance of Being Earnest is that it exists and was written by Wilde. I suspect Mohan was in the same boat but we had the same guess.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I'd feel pretty annoyed if I had sat though five minutes of commercial break just to see that FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Horrible betting throughout by both Allison and Corey. In the latter's case, he wouldn't have gotten a wild card slot anyways, although holding back a grand on FJ and not going for it all on his DD reduced his chances severely, without knowing the results of the other games.

But Allison, in addition to costing herself $600 with the DD bet, probably cost herself a semifinal spot with that outrageous FJ wager. Obviously, with $9,000, she NEEDS to get FJ correct. There is no reasonable scenario in a College Jeopardy tournament setting where she gets it wrong and still wins or advance. Mohan has the crush and will bet conservative. A sub $9,000 result is not going to snag a wild-card.

So in that scenario, the only correct play was to bet everything. Had she done so, she would have guaranteed a semifinal spot. With $13,000 and 2 non-winners tomorrow with a chance to surpass it, there is about a 80% chance that she will NOT make the semifinals.

On a positive note, Mohan's betting was good. $200 on a DD he wasn't confident in (despite the decent performance in the category) and the conservative $800 FJ wager, to hit a wild card in either scenario, were both fine plays.

LT: Wolf Hall, south, Stalingrad

FJ: Instaget
Last edited by IronNeck on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

IMO, by far the easiest FJ of the tourney thus far...and they've all been easy. I too ran through the South American map, and there was nothing at all to make me go "Waitaminute!" and consider replacing Brasilia. FJ clues like this exactly and ultimately exemplify why people like me would like to see the College Tournament be slightly amped up in its difficulty than it's been the last several years/decade or two. Or at the very least be on par with the regular J! episodes for pity's sake. I honestly can understand the Teen Tournament being easy-peasy...but the College Tournament too?! :shock:
Last edited by Maven on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote:"Shareware" is not free. That was a bad clue.
I would say it's not necessarily free, but I had the same thought.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:Corey guessing Zobrist must had people yelling in the Chicago area and by the end of the game that turned out to be an even more painful miss.
On the one hand, Zobrist got WS MVP so it's a surprisingly good wrong answer. On the other hand...COME ON!!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:"Shareware" is not free. That was a bad clue.
I would say it's not necessarily free, but I had the same thought.
By definition it is not free. The fact that seldom is it paid for notwithstanding.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Will I be the only person who immediately thought of Brasilia, then thought that would be way too easy, so "Latinized" must mean something else, then just picked another random South American capital? Yes? Okay.