Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JayK33 »

I didn't know about the book, and I guessed the wrong author (Enid Blyton). In retrospect I should have been able to guess Potter.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:For those that guessed their way to right writer would this gender neutral clue change have made any difference in solving it?

“The Tale of Kitty-In-Boots”, written by this author in 1914, was first published in 2016.
While I probably would have got there eventually, I think the female pronoun helped me get to Potter faster (though I spent much more time than necessary thinking of who wrote "Puss in Boots", thinking it was a sequel, before obliterating that train of thought as "absurd").
xxaaaxx wrote:Breath....porridge...what??!
That reminds me: Judges, would "oatmeal" work as a response there?
Category 13 wrote:I got the Sir Francis Drake clue from this movie scene.
I got Drake from the old joke "Francis Drake circumcised the globe with a 20 foot cutter", reminding me of another circumnavigator besides Magellan (who I didn't think ever visited San Fran).
French Rage wrote:I think I was specifically remembering this 25 year old Fraiser episode:
Frasier was on 25 years ago now????????? Please don't remind me of that, I have a birthday in a few days, I don't need that to also make me feel super old.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I also thought that Kitty-In-Boots was a sequel to Puss in Boots, and also had no idea who wrote it. I just guessed Beatrix Potter because of the genre.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:That cocky, smug wave...

While I wasn't as perturbed, I can certainly appreciate her sentiments; that's easily the most disrespectful thing I've seen on Jeopardy since I began watching in October 2015.

Would be even nicer if she had a shred of class or sportsmanship.
For someone who's so careful and logical about DD wagers, you certainly jumped hard to conclusions here. Glad to see you stepped back.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

twelvefootboy wrote:Sorry, Maven, but I came up with Don ? for Maxwell Smart, and couldn't clear Don Knotts name out to get to Don Adams. Don Knotts is one I came to appreciate later, but not at the time. I never did get the infatuation with Floyd the Barber - must be an acquired taste...
Floyd 'the barber' Lawson, as well as really The Andy Griffith Show in general is very admittingly a Southern and especially North Carolinian thing...I grew up in NC (Raleigh, to be specific), where TAGS was shown A LOT on local channels when it wasn't on WGN, TBS, and wherever else (amazingly, Nick At Nite didn't have it during the 80's, at least I don't remember them carrying TAGS then). The Raleigh channels eventually dropped such an apparent tradition, but some other Southern local channels still run TAGS reruns...somewhat nearby WDBJ in Roanoke (I currently live in Bluefield, VA/WV) still has TAGS reruns on at 5:30 PM on weekdays.

After Barney (who is certainly most everyone's favorite TAGS character)*, Floyd Lawson and Otis Campbell are my other favorite TAGS characters due to the situations/episodes involving them almost always being every bit as funny as with Barney. And at one point, back in my t-shirt and jean wearing days, one of my absolute favorite shirts said 'Pink Floyd', and had an all pink tinted picture of Floyd, complete with a purple background that had 'Deep Purple' running all along wallpaper-like in a diagonal pattern.

Anyways, to dutifully bring the thread somewhat back on track, here is one segment from my utmost favorite Get Smart/Don Adams running gag.

* - What better time to share my favorite Barney video than then?
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: For someone who's so careful and logical about DD wagers, you certainly jumped hard to conclusions here. Glad to see you stepped back.
As I clearly said, it was my girlfriend who first noticed it and had the stronger reaction. Based on the knowledge I had at that point, my own observations, and her generally sharp sense of behavior (she is almost never wrong when calling out behavior), I believed and largely agreed with my girlfriend. How shocking and unprecedented!

And yes, in an equally surprising twist, human body language and interaction is more complex and open to interpretation than basic arithmetic.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people ascribe something sinister to the most innocuous of gestures.

And we wonder why more contestants don't drop in to say hi and share their experiences. :shock:
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I guessed Beatrix Potter because I couldn't think of another children's author who might have been around in 1914 who also wrote about animals (and I wasn't even sure Potter was alive in 1914)...but does anyone know the backstory of why the book that was the subject of the FJ clue wasn't published until 2016?

ETA: Apparently the manuscript was found among some memoirs and the book was published to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Beatrix Potter.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Maven wrote:
Anyways, to dutifully bring the thread somewhat back on track, here is one segment from my utmost favorite Get Smart/Don Adams running gag.
I see you, and raise you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftgAG3Vnif8
Elijah Baley wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people ascribe something sinister to the most innocuous of gestures.

And we wonder why more contestants don't drop in to say hi and share their experiences. :shock:
Exactly. Todd, I appreciate your comments here, and wish more contestants would stop in and stick around (and you seemed like a really nice guy up there). I don't, however, appreciate the negative tone that posters use all too frequently.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote: I Tom'd the clue to be a well known serious author whose grandkids found an old manuscript and pimped it for what they could get, sort of like Harper Lee or Margaret Mitchell. At least one other poster has as well (I'd quote it but still can't use this forum well). I settled on a bad guess of Pearl Buck.
As Alex likes to say: "remember the category!"
Argggh! The dreaded Chysanthemum syndrome! I imprinted "Childrens' literature" instead of "Children's Authors". So I figured the bait and switch play from a serious author. I still would have gone all Glockenspiel on Bea Potter's name.

Still to be explained is what up with the delayed book release. Was it a turd that she didn't want published? Was it her deathbed tome? Was it an early feminist manifesto censored by the Illimunati? This is why FJ clues are so provocative, and a tip of the hat to the writers.

Now that the controversy (pronounce it British style - con -TRAH -versy) is over about Annie's etiquette - did anyone else chuckle about her introduction as "an unemployed bartender" (before the Go-Go dancer stole her joke)? I thought that was very clever and endearing (or was it cloying and pandering?). I assume the contestants provide their preferred self description and that Johnny Gilbert isn't a bully.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Still to be explained is what up with the delayed book release. Was it a turd that she didn't want published? Was it her deathbed tome? Was it an early feminist manifesto censored by the Illimunati? This is why FJ clues are so provocative, and a tip of the hat to the writers.
https://www.theguardian.com/childrens-b ... ntin-blake
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget inspite of NHO this title or pub'd in 2016, from context and date 1914; 43R, LT: 12th Night, (or, What You Will) > Illyria > "If music be the food of love, play on!" Duke Orsino;
Brahms' 21 Hungarian dances; 'salt of the earth' > disciples. Also gave 'Eldorado' knowing that 7 cities didn't fit, DOH! ...>Cibola, yeah you knew that didn't you? Yes Alex... :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

davey wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/childrens-b ... ntin-blake
Apparently it wsa sent back from the publisher for revisions and she never returned it; they waited 102 years! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:
seaborgium wrote: For someone who's so careful and logical about DD wagers, you certainly jumped hard to conclusions here. Glad to see you stepped back.
As I clearly said, it was my girlfriend who first noticed it and had the stronger reaction. Based on the knowledge I had at that point, my own observations, and her generally sharp sense of behavior (she is almost never wrong when calling out behavior), I believed and largely agreed with my girlfriend. How shocking and unprecedented!

And yes, in an equally surprising twist, human body language and interaction is more complex and open to interpretation than basic arithmetic.
Which is why I thought you'd have been more circumspect on the subject, with or without your girlfriend's influence.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I also thought that Kitty-In-Boots was a sequel to Puss in Boots, and also had no idea who wrote it. I just guessed Beatrix Potter because of the genre.
Nice post/username combo
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: That reminds me: Judges, would "oatmeal" work as a response there?
Gonna say no. Zero hits for "keep your breath to cool oatmeal" and they were asking for the idiom, not the foodstuff (which they might accept oatmeal for porridge or at least BMS).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: I assume the contestants provide their preferred self description and that Johnny Gilbert isn't a bully.
Contestants do provide a preferred self-description, but the producers don't always go with the contestant preference. I retired from the USAF in 1994 after almost 23 years of service. Military officers appear pretty regularly, but enlisted personnel seem to be pretty rare. I therefore asked if I could be introduced as a "retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant." However, the contestant coordinator said that because it was more than 20 years ago, they'd prefer to go with the most recent position held. So, on March 21 I'll be introduced as a "retired adjunct professor," with no mention of the full military career that preceded my time in academia.

Still a little wistful I couldn't score one for the NCO corps ...... but I understand their point and can testify that no bullying took place!

AND -- Johnny Gilbert's voice sounds as fantastic in the studio as it does on TV. I literally got a chill up my spine when the intro montage played and we heard "This .... Is ...... Jeopardy!" That was a major thrill.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

After listening to the introductions for this game, I've made a decision.

If I ever make it to another J! audition, and we come to the interview portion, I'm not going to tell the CCs what I really do for a living. I may tell them that I'm a weasel handler. Or a bubble gum machine guard. Maybe a javelin catcher. Or something else I haven't thought of yet.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Kevin S. wrote:
twelvefootboy wrote: AND -- Johnny Gilbert's voice sounds as fantastic in the studio as it does on TV. I literally got a chill up my spine when the intro montage played and we heard "This .... Is ...... Jeopardy!" That was a major thrill.
This. When you hear his intro reverberate throughout the studio, you know things have gotten real!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I also think that people interpret contestants' body language way too much. I've found that if I'm standing while watch the show, I take a free throw shooting stance whenever a Daily Double pops up, and shoot a pretend free throw as I respond as if I were on the show. I think that if I did that on the actual show, it would draw lots of criticism.