Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

Congrats Kevin! Hope you're enjoying a few beers at your viewing party :)

TS: Charles Baudelaire (Les Fleurs du Mal > Flowers of Evil), Christmas

NHO capybara, but I think I want one!

A stunning fall for Rebecca! But Jeopardy!'s a cruel mistress
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

Great job Kevin!

Watching it, this game felt like the rhythm was a little wilder than most games with some big swings back and forth. I figured out jodhpurs pretty quickly but I thought Alex's comment was pretty funny. I guess Adam agreed about the category since he bet so little.

Was very surprised that nobody rang in on Brown.

For the Hawaiian island, I wasn't sure but assumed the answer would be the easternmost island rather than the most populous.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:09 pm Congratulations to Kevin!

Sad that my alma mater was a triple stumper, especially when spotted "Pretty Colors".
Maybe it's because brown is only the 6th best tasting color? From Randall Munroe, who everybody need to know about:

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/best_tasting_colors_2x.png

(sorry I don't know how to post this correctly)

I missed it because I went through names trying to find potential founder names and completely whiffed on the category, especially after Dartmouth was played.

Instagot FJ for Johdpurs or Jhodpurs or whatever. However my plan B was "Cargo Pants" and I would not have been surprised to lose it to that. It seems reasonably TOM, but I felt Jhodpurs was not too esoteric for an FJ clue.

Hooray for Kevin!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Said khaki, didn't look back. Reveal. Oooooh, that makes more sense...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Congrats Kevin! This is good month for boardies who compete on a Tuesday! As others mentioned, a good back and forth game. Kevin jumped to the led early, weathered the other contestants and went into FJ, then did a great job getting it in FJ!

All that said, the thing I take away from this is Rebecca's interview question, which it seemed like Alex could not have wanted to get away from quicker. Kevin, did they edit the hell out of that?
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

No chance for me on FJ. Said Khakis just to have something (anything).

Ran 'C' All The Animals and Bays (including the Bay of Bengal DD...which, as easy as it was, I couldn't believe was a DD), and almost ran Movie Stars (including the Dustin Hoffman DD...I couldn't resist irony and guessed Angelina Jolie for Brad Pitt's co-star) and Poets And Poetry (Baudelaire tripped me up). Also got the Brown University LT.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just want dto pipe in and say I got the anorak clue. :D (For those who don't get the reference, I mentioned on here before that when this board was created after the official Sony board went down for good, I toyed with the idea of using a new username on here, I thought of using the name "anorak" since it has two meanings: a parka, and is also British slang for a know-it-all. As a nerd in a cold climate, I figured that suited me to a tee. Ultimately I chickened out and decided to keep my Sony board name for continuity's sake.)

Also got FJ and left out the "h" to be safe.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That FJ clue reminded me of this classic clip from the movie Hot Shots!
https://youtu.be/RnoPZqC6Bfs?t=1m9s
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Some very generous decisions by the judges today. Adam responded "Hammer" instead of MC Hammer (both are part of his stage name) and Rebecca got the already mentioned, inexplicable BMS for "patronage system" when the formal term was "the spoils system".

And yes, Adam's FJ wager was as poor as his two DD wagers. On the flip side, he can rest easy knowing that even had he bet optimally for all three, Kevin would still have beaten him.

Speaking of which, props to Kevin, who displayed an excellent range of trivia knowledge.

LT: Brown University, Christmas, spoils system

FJ: Complete miss. Guessed "sweat pants". I know nothing about fashion. :)
Clue Jungry wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:25 pm Also, the $800 clue in "Parts of the Whole" read "Canopy, Suspension, and Harness." Parachute was the accepted answer, but I'm wondering whether the judges would have also accepted zip lines.
Yep, I gave the same response.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:33 am Some very generous decisions by the judges today. Adam responded "Hammer" instead of MC Hammer (both are part of his stage name)
Actually he dropped the "M.C." from his stage name after his first or second album.

edit: looking at his discography it seems that he dropped the M.C, for a few years, but then went back to it later. In any event he's been known as both.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 pm I don't get wagers like Adam's. If Kevin wagers 0 and they both get it wrong, Kevin still wins by $5.
It could be said Kevin's wager was more flawed than Adam's. The only way he could win in the actual (wagers) scenario, was if he got a singelton. Since he had to get it correct to beat a small wager from Kevin, he may as well bet 12,599 to capitalize his winnings, while still staying above Adam in the event he makes the standard cover bet (W/W).
It's all based on how well Adam predicts what Kevin is going to do. In this case, he wasn't too far off. It was sufficient for Adam to win on either a double get or a double miss.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm Bad FJ bet by Adam. If you are betting small from the lead, why let second place beat you by betting zero? I wonder if she just got confused and added $5 instead of subtracting it.
JayK33 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:36 pm I don't get wagers like Adam's. If Kevin wagers 0 and they both get it wrong, Kevin still wins by $5.
Adam held a slight lead. There are four scenarios: Adam Right Kevin Right (RR), Adam Right Kevin Wrong (RW), Adam Wrong Kevin Right (WR), Adam Wrong Kevin Wrong (WW).

The bet made by Adam wins him the game in 3 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW,WW). He would have lost with (WR).

If he had made the standard bet he would have won in 2 of those 4 scenarios (RR,RW). He would have lost with two of those scenarios (WW,WR).

If Kevin had bet according to the J-Archive wagering calculator then Adam's bet would win in 3 out of 4 scenarios which outperforms the bet suggested by the wagering calculator for Adam. Edit: The wagering calculator gives a range of values for Kevin's bet and my original comment is only correct for the lower side of the range. If Kevin bets according to the high side of the wagering calculator then Adam only wins in 2 of the scenarios.

Adam lost because of jodhpurs but his betting was fine.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 pm Said khaki, didn't look back. Reveal. Oooooh, that makes more sense...
I did the same thing. I totally forgot that jodhpurs existed, which is strange since I think I got a question about them right on LL about a year ago.
earendel

Post by earendel »

For the 2nd day in a row my local station cut away from J!, this time for a test tornado warning message that went on for 15 minutes, so I missed FJ! FWIW I wouldn't have come up with the answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
BobF

Post by BobF »

Congrats, Kevin, best of retroluck for tonight. Add me to the "khaki just to have something" crowd. Heard of jodhpurs from my days of doing crossword puzzles, but since I switched to child-raising and the occasional sudoku, it was no longer on my radar.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:32 am
Volante wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:34 pm Said khaki, didn't look back. Reveal. Oooooh, that makes more sense...
I did the same thing. I totally forgot that jodhpurs existed, which is strange since I think I got a question about them right on LL about a year ago.

I knew I knew it but I couldn't pull jodhpurs in 30 seconds. With LL I think it would have taken just a couple minutes or less but, as it sometimes does, it could have taken all damn day.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am

I knew I knew it but I couldn't pull jodhpurs in 30 seconds.
I have big calves and ankles, also.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
doriko
Contributor

Post by doriko »

silverscreentest wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:12 am
mrparadise wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:06 am

I knew I knew it but I couldn't pull jodhpurs in 30 seconds.
I have big calves and ankles, also.
My snort of laughter just startled my co-workers.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Comment from the reddit game recap thread I had to share:

"I feel like everyone has taken a computer science class from Kevin. He spends half the class telling funny stories about the Commodore 64, then tells everyone exactly what's going to be on the final."
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Object Lesson for us J! wannabes:

Knowledgeable, bright contestant gets on the show, romps and stomps for two $20K+ wins, looks like a streak in the making, until game 3 and she looks like roadkill. The J! gods are fickle indeed.

Instaget FJ. And as for jodhpurs being popular, perhaps not like cargo pants, but often favored by military men with affectations. Picture Patton.