Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This company founded in 1945 offers a special deal on the last day of January, March, May, July, August, October & December

Kevin Shrum: 12400+3900=16300 (2x = $33,500)
Madeline Wilson: 4200-2600=1600
Emlen Smith: 15800-9001=6799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Baskin-Robbins (Madeline – Thirty One) (Emlen – 31 Club)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 3800+2000
Emlen: 11200+3000
Kevin: 12600-3000

Coryats
Kevin: 14200
Madeline: 4200
Emlen: 14800

Combined: 33,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Watching the game with a good enough resolution helped me get a clue I would not have known otherwise thanks to spotting the help in the lower left:
Spoiler

Kevin is 2/2 with the sole solve from second place in the FJ! round. Having the lead in such scenarios is the easier path to victory and a way to make more money as well.

Today's DD3 miss for 3K in J! dollars cost Kevin over 15K in real dollars.

I looked at the FJ! clue and had no idea, yet by the time Alex was finishing his reading the clue became a double scoop delight as I realized what it had to be. There was a time there were multiple franchise locations in less than a mile radius from me. Now, I only know of one in town and that one is further away in distance than the next nearest one in Daly City.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

Profile (5), "ANTI" (3), Human (3), TV (4), Splendide (4), Jacket (2)
Publish (4), Bold (4), Squat (2), Telecommunications (1), Jazz (1), U.K. Cities (1)

Lach Trash: Virginia Woolf, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, access, Jacques Cartier

Instaget FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Final Jeopardy came to me this way:
They listed a lot of months but there are a few missing. What's signifacant about those months in the clue? They all have 31 days. What company has something related to number 31? Baskin Robbins. Done.
That process took about 8-10 seconds. Not an instaget but I can't see anyone getting it any quicker than that unless they were/are regular patrons of Baskin Robbins on the 31st of the month.

Some folks are gonna claim Kevin should have 'bet it all' on that last DD but this is a case where it could have cost him the game. I wanted him to wager 5000 but he may not have even been inside a crush if he had lost that much.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Kevin on his second win.

I had no idea on FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Pretty good game, but I have to admit that it's a little sad that they could get Urkel but no one recognized a Renoir. When, as pointed out, his signature was even visible!

Good FJ - never heard of that special but what else could it be? Still, good on Madeline and Emlen for putting something down; they were on the right track, at least.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Elijah Baley wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm Good FJ - never heard of that special but what else could it be? Still, good on Madeline and Emlen for putting something down; they were on the right track, at least.
It was a great clue. I'd nominate it for the best FJ of the season, even though we're only half way through.
I was somewhat surprised that all three honed in on the '31' factor. I never bothered to memorize which months had 30 days until I was about forty years old. Without knowing that, I doubt I would have had any idea what they were going for. Not in 20 seconds anyway.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Baskin Robbins was instaget for me - I should have actually checked that those were the months with 31, but I could tell what they were going for.

We had a pretty big laugh at my house for the "Loneliest Internet Cafe" storybook, imagining an anthropomorphic internet cafe.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Quickly got to 31 and promptly got stuck at 31. I wanted to say we don't have Baskin-Robbins in Manhattan! but apparently there's one just 6 blocks from my apartment!

TS: Virginia Woolf, Renoir, Cartier, Paisley, cones, FaceTime, DD: phone booth - would they accept telephone booth?

Hidden words on Jeopardy is probably my least favorite category, but I guess the trick is to focus on the proper names and ignore the rest?

Curious how people with little to no fluency in French did on Le Restaurant Splendide. Impressed the players got all 5.

Best category tonight? Rhymes with Squat!
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Elijah Baley wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm Pretty good game, but I have to admit that it's a little sad that they could get Urkel but no one recognized a Renoir. When, as pointed out, his signature was even visible!
If you're a contestant, at least, it wouldn't be visible unless you've got a zoom lens for an eye: the TV's too far away.
I was getting a water lilies vibe from the plants so my DD guess would've been Monet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Kevin seems to understand FJ wagering, I like that. Not thrilled about the DD wagers today however.

I eat too much ice cream, have seen the advertisement repeatedly on the door to my local BR's. :oops: :oops:
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

*grumbles* I wish they had finished the Jazz category...I wish they had finished the Jazz category...

INSTAGET FJ...had Baskin-Robbins as I beat Alex to reading the months. And I still would have gotten it if my birthday didn't happen to fall on the 31st (October...boo! πŸ‘»).

Ran The 'Anti' Category and almost ran Posthumous Publishing (got caught by Joseph Heller). LOVED what was revealed of the Jazz category, natch...got the Branford Marsalis and Woody Allen/clarinet LTs. Also got the Virginia Woolf, access, and Cartier LTs too.

*walks off and continues grumbling into the night* I wish they had finished the Jazz category...I wish they had finished the Jazz category...
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm Hidden words on Jeopardy is probably my least favorite category, but I guess the trick is to focus on the proper names and ignore the rest?
For me, the trick is to focus on the word(s) that seems like it just doesn't belong or looks like it had to be shoehorned into place.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:33 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:36 pm Pretty good game, but I have to admit that it's a little sad that they could get Urkel but no one recognized a Renoir. When, as pointed out, his signature was even visible!
If you're a contestant, at least, it wouldn't be visible unless you've got a zoom lens for an eye: the TV's too far away.
I was getting a water lilies vibe from the plants so my DD guess would've been Monet.
Good description -- the visual clues for contestants show up on a medium (40-45 inch maybe?) monitor just to the left of the game board, at floor level right in front of the straight-on camera. You may see contestants looking down and to their left when the camera jumps back to them after displaying a visual clue.

Monet would have been my guess if I'd been required to make one for an FJ. But it would have been a low-confidence guess. Glad I didn't have to make it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Category 13 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm Final Jeopardy came to me this way:
They listed a lot of months but there are a few missing. What's signifacant about those months in the clue? They all have 31 days. What company has something related to number 31? Baskin Robbins. Done.
That process took about 8-10 seconds. Not an instaget but I can't see anyone getting it any quicker than that unless they were/are regular patrons of Baskin Robbins on the 31st of the month.
Similar process for me, with one brief flash of a flirtation with a wrong answer I rejected pretty quickly. After following the bread crumbs to "31," I had a quick vision of the scene of main street in "Blazing Saddles" with a big sign saying, "Howard Johnson's. ONE FLAVOR!" Fleeting smile, but HoJo's has been around a lot longer than 1945.

During the end-of-round handshake, Alex said, "Took you a while to start writing. Did you know it?" I had to admit that I didn't and had to reason it out. Our local B-R closed about 20 years ago, so it's quite a while since I've seen the "31 Flavors" sign.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Kevin S. wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:29 pm
Category 13 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm Final Jeopardy came to me this way:
Similar process for me, with one brief flash of a flirtation with a wrong answer I rejected pretty quickly. After following the bread crumbs to "31," I had a quick vision of the scene of main street in "Blazing Saddles" with a big sign saying, "Howard Johnson's. ONE FLAVOR!" Fleeting smile, but HoJo's has been around a lot longer than 1945.

During the end-of-round handshake, Alex said, "Took you a while to start writing. Did you know it?" I had to admit that I didn't and had to reason it out. Our local B-R closed about 20 years ago, so it's quite a while since I've seen the "31 Flavors" sign.
Great job with another sole solve comeback, Champ! It might not be good for ratings, but I'm sure most the boardies would like you to have a crush tomorrow.

I don't like ice cream but easily got there in FJ because numbers are my thing. Faces, car models, not so much - makes it impossible for me to watch an old movie with identical dark haired actors. I can't remember the jingle, or the finger/hands trick for the month, but once you get old enough you know there isn't an April 31 and so on, sadly enough. 31 is a hot number because it is prime, (it's even a Mersenne prime), and its the number of strands in 4 hex packed strings (1+6+12+18), and the first two digits of pi for starters.

Me too on the Pavlov for Monet.

Another very fun provocative clue cooked up by the J! writers - TOM clues are much more fun than YEKIOYD's. Jodhpurs may be at least half YEKIOYD, since many boarders professed to NHO them.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

I guess Manet for the painting but I can never tell the Impressionists apart.

I'm surprised after "rods" was wrong on that one clue no one guessed "cones".

Go Kevin!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges: The $400 clue in TELECOMMUNICATIONS read:
It's the ability to connect; it can follow "internet" or, in Wayne's World, "cable"
"Access" was given, whereas I plead before you that "network" fits all three parts of the clue. What say ye for my Coryat's sake?
OSXpert wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:13 pm We had a pretty big laugh at my house for the "Loneliest Internet Cafe" storybook, imagining an anthropomorphic internet cafe.
As opposed to an anthropomorphic telephone booth, which is apparently so commonplace it wouldn't elicit a big laugh.
morbeedo wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pmCurious how people with little to no fluency in French did on Le Restaurant Splendide. Impressed the players got all 5.
I don't think TPH got any, to him those are all "hoity toity" foods.
econgator wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:07 pm
morbeedo wrote: ↑Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm Hidden words on Jeopardy is probably my least favorite category, but I guess the trick is to focus on the proper names and ignore the rest?
For me, the trick is to focus on the word(s) that seems like it just doesn't belong or looks like it had to be shoehorned into place.
This is my usual advice as well, the linguistic gymnastics are there because they have to shoehorn the word in, that's your cue to look there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012