Thursday, March 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The word that gave us “picaresque” may also have inspired the name of this clever valet featured in a 1786 opera

Kevin Shrum: 12200-6601=5599
Robin Devereux: 14000-10401=3599
Stephanie Garrone-Shufran: 9400+8000=17400 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Figaro (Kevin – Who is?) (Robin – Picard)

Daily Doubles
Kevin: 3400-2000
Robin: 3000+3000
Kevin: 11400-2000

Coryats
Kevin: 16200
Robin: 12600
Stephanie: 9400

Combined: 38,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The "little rascal" hint was a funny one even though it was not enough to help me get buckwheat.

I needed no hint for Zenger as may not have known the name in 1984 while by 2017 I've seen him plenty of times for clues to snap up the trash.

I had "safe" as part of NSFW, but of course "suitable" as given by the contestant works as well for a correct response. Is there a third "S" that would pass muster as well?

The FJ! clue was one that gave me a response half right as for the six letters required I had the first two and last one correct. ;)

Kevin, congrats on being able to play three games of J! and well done with a consistent Coryat score in each one. It's tough to overcome the 0/3 on big clues in the same match. On the plus side you were part of the streak ending and a full slate of 61 clues revealed today. Thank you for your part in that and for the extra insight you have shared about the games.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm The "little rascal" hint was a funny one even though it was not enough to help me get buckwheat.

I needed no hint for Zenger as may not have known the name in 1984 while by 2017 I've seen him plenty of times for clues to snap up the trash.

I had "safe" as part of NSFW, but of course "suitable" as given by the contestant works as well for a correct response. Is there a third "S" that would pass muster as well?

The FJ! clue was one that gave me a response half right as for the six letters required I had the first two and last one correct. ;)

Kevin, congrats on being able to play three games of J! and well done with a consistent Coryat score in each one. It's tough to overcome the 0/3 on big clues in the same match. On the plus side you were part of the streak ending and a full slate of 61 clues revealed today. Thank you for your part in that and for the extra insight you have shared about the games.
Thanks for the kind words. I'll share some thought process behind the FJ tomorrow, in hopes that folks won't be bored with trivial details. But Jeopardy! fans like trivial details, don't they?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

No chance on this FJ. Never saw the opera, didn't know the character was a valet, and never heard of "picaresque." And I'm not really seeing how picaresque is derivative of Figaro - even if you spotted me all of that.

So, they went from a really good FJ to one that I guess favors opera lovers - although I'd be curious to know how many of them would get this. (Congrats to Stephanie!).

And many thanks, Kevin, for being a fun contestant and for the stories, including those which may be forthcoming.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm No chance on this FJ. Never saw the opera, didn't know the character was a valet, and never heard of "picaresque." And I'm not really seeing how picaresque is derivative of Figaro - even if you spotted me all of that.
Picaresque derives from "picaro", a rogue.

Didn't get it myself, looked it up after the fact.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm No chance on this FJ. Never saw the opera, didn't know the character was a valet, and never heard of "picaresque." And I'm not really seeing how picaresque is derivative of Figaro - even if you spotted me all of that.

Ok, thanks; I can sort of see that now. (But honestly? I still don't know if I would have gotten it even if they spotted me "picaro"). :oops:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 pm

Ok, thanks; I can sort of see that now. (But honestly? I still don't know if I would have gotten it even if they spotted me "picaro"). :oops:
Yeah, me neither. I'm guessing the date-memorizers had an advantage here. I should do some of that.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I'd like to lie and say I got this FJ correct, but I can't do that. I said Picaro, and settled with that, even though I figured he wasn't a character in any play. Did Figaro cross my mind? Well, it did, but I couldn't put two and two together.

So far I am still 1/4 on FJs this week.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:27 pm Picaresque derives from "picaro", a rogue.
Yeah, even after Alex mentioned that I still had no clue who he was referring to.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I didn't understand the sub reversal. I can't find anything about sub ever being a preposition in English, much less able to think of it ever being used that way. It did look like it was able to be a preposition in Latin, but I dunno', that still seems like a bit of a stretch for a reversal.

While I'm here, I'm in the "never would've gotten FJ!" in a million years" group, and even if spotted picaro, I doubt I'd have gotten it. Just required too many leaps, and I couldn't make any of them :P.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm So, they went from a really good FJ to one that I guess favors opera lovers
Or Bugs Bunny fans...
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Finally we clear both boards. Would be nice if this became the norm, but I'm sure they'll be right back to their usual routine tomorrow.

I got halfway through blurting out "Bogot-", and I noticed that Spanish flag and made the switch (though I was briefly worried it was there for historical reasons). I can still look dhk in the eye, for now.

1786 opera? Got nothin'. Lets see, picaresque, picar, picar...bicar...vicar...ficar...figar? Figaro? Hey yeah, 1786 is Mozart's time, Marriage of Figaro! This would've been easier if opera wasn't such a huge hole in my knowledge, but escaping an FJ about opera, with a hint of word origins? I'll take it.

Congrats on the two wins Kevin!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

Robin and I were at the same audition in Charleston, SC, in October. We chatted briefly in the hallway before the audition, and then we happened to be in the same mock game. So that was almost me you saw on the middle podium up there. :D It was a pleasant surprise to see her on the show today.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:04 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:08 pm So, they went from a really good FJ to one that I guess favors opera lovers
Or Bugs Bunny fans...
YES YES YES! Although of course, that was "The Barber of Seville," still Figaro but a different opera than the 1786 "The Marriage of Figaro" referenced in the clue. The Chuck Jones BB/LT cartoons are, IMO, the best ever, but "The Rabbit of Seville" is the best of the best.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Vowela wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:38 pm I didn't understand the sub reversal. I can't find anything about sub ever being a preposition in English, much less able to think of it ever being used that way. It did look like it was able to be a preposition in Latin, but I dunno', that still seems like a bit of a stretch for a reversal.

While I'm here, I'm in the "never would've gotten FJ!" in a million years" group, and even if spotted picaro, I doubt I'd have gotten it. Just required too many leaps, and I couldn't make any of them :P.
I wasn't happy with the response either; I think I tried to expand a bit on it as my voice trailed off. After the DD came up, they called a time-out for several minutes while they did further research. The judges' table has several computers on it, but they also have some actual physical made-out-of-paper reference books. When Alex asked if they were sure of the reversal, one of the judges said that they had found a citation to "sub" as a preposition in the OED. Alex shrugged and said something like, "Well, I guess we can consider that reliable enough."

They then replayed the last few seconds of audio, and asked the studio audience to applaud again as if the DD had just been hit. They use the white noise of the applause to cover the edit and make it seem like the reversal came instantly. An interesting lesson in video production, if nothing else.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The game felt tougher than normal - may be too much recent lit / pop references? Anyways, Stephanie had a huge lead after J, but barely got moving in DJ. Tomorrow's game will answer some questions.

There is a chance I could have gotten FJ on another day, not today.
skullturf wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:09 pm Robin and I were at the same audition in Charleston, SC, in October. We chatted briefly in the hallway before the audition, and then we happened to be in the same mock game. So that was almost me you saw on the middle podium up there. :D It was a pleasant surprise to see her on the show today.
I am not sure about your turf on skull, but stuff in your skull is working great...you remember people from auditions? Oh yes, we hope to see you cleanup on J! soon.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pm The "little rascal" hint was a funny one even though it was not enough to help me get buckwheat.
At least it wasn't alfalfa.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:58 pmThe FJ! clue was one that gave me a response half right as for the six letters required I had the first two and last one correct. ;)
I seem to be in the minority so far, as I went nowhere with Final! (went with Picadillo), but as soon as he said "Picaro" out came the head slap.
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pmI got halfway through blurting out "Bogot-", and I noticed that Spanish flag and made the switch (though I was briefly worried it was there for historical reasons). I can still look dhk in the eye, for now.
Truth be told I almost did the same thing (except got halfway to blurting out "Panama City") but that was only because I thought the flag was a red herring (displayed as a colonial flag to preserve the authenticity of a colonial site) because it was too easy. (And went with Panama because of Colon)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:53 pm The game felt tougher than normal - may be too much recent lit / pop references?
Agreed, and I bombed on GRAINS - only got farro I think.

I did manage to pick up My Own Private Idaho and a couple of other TS.

Had Figaro immediately (WECIB) but started getting confused as I went over the plots of Don Giovanni, Barber of Seville and Marriage of Figaro. Also thought picaresque referred to Don Quixote - turns out it does, but that's not the origin of the term.

Congrats Kevin!