Friday, March 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, March 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

Part of what helped me get this FJ is that the name "Quantico" kind of sounds a little like "Squanto", but there may very well be no etymological relationship whatsoever. It's one of those things where superficial reasoning is good enough.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got a bunch of triple stumpers today but missed FJ. Niagara River, Dr Livingstone I Presume, Voyager, Oil Derrick, Beta Decay, The Doors, Halliburton, Promise and Premise.

Coryat on just those triple stumpers would put me at $12,000 which is nearly enough to win I suppose, Jon had $12,400 going into FJ.

I didn't know Quantico was a town or really anything about it except for the FBI connection and that there is a prime time TV show.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Quantico and Parris Island are Pavlovs for the USMC.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm Let's see if we get a Nationals/Capitals/Ravens/Orioles sports FJ within the next week or two.
No respect for the Wizards or that other team which shall remain nameless, I tell ya, no respect.
This is the only current major sports franchise in the Washington/Baltimore area which originated there.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Wizards began as the Chicago Packers in 1961. They became the Zephyrs in 1962 before moving to Baltimore in 1963.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Wizards
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm I was rooting against Stephanie as soon as she did an impromptu advertisement for Zumba.
Where's the love for Stephanie on this board? Isn't Zumba just another fitness craze du jour, which happens to have better staying power than tap dancing, kick boxing, P90X, Nordic Track, spin classes, etc.. Nobody will be doing it in ten years. She didn't seem to be shilling for anything to me, just a typical newbie to exercise, or converted couch potato with enthusiasm.

I knew I'd have company from Iron Neck on the Beta-Decay TS. Good clue, IMHO.

I got FJ from the Potomac TOM, but was wondering how long that damn river is (and where is Camp LaJeune). I had no idea the Marines were there, only heard of it as CIA HQ (which may be incorrect, based on posts about the FBI being there).

There's been some chatter about the 12 bar blues question
Spoiler
The first line of the blues / is always sung a second time (I / I/ I / I7)
The first line of the blues / is always sung a second time (IV / IV / I / I7)
By the time you get to the third line / You've had time to think of a rhyme (V / IV / I7 / V7 )
So why did I blurt out "EIGHT" (I think because of Andrews Sisters- Beat me Daddy, Eight to the Bar)

To you non-musicians, this isn't quite a YEKIOYD, but it is the go-to progression for jamming with strangers.
Tough luck for Jon, the game can be a cruel mistress.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 pm I got FJ from the Potomac TOM, but was wondering how long that damn river is (and where is Camp LaJeune). I had no idea the Marines were there, only heard of it as CIA HQ (which may be incorrect, based on posts about the FBI being there).
Camp Lejuene is in North Carolina.

As to what goes on at the base:

"The base is the site of the Marine Corps Combat Development Command and HMX-1 (the presidential helicopter squadron), Officer Candidate School, and The Basic School. The United States Drug Enforcement Administration's training academy, the FBI Academy, the FBI Laboratory, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and the Air Force Office of Special Investigations headquarters are on the base."

The CIA HQ is in Langley/McLean, VA, about 40 miles north of Quantico.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $45,800
51 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: "Dr. Livingstone, I presume" (DD); Voyager; Sermon on the Mount; Elena Kagan; beta decay; derrick; 12(-bar blues); promise/premise; The Doors; Halliburton

My second-best regular-play Coryat ever, and certainly my most lopsided victory against the combined Coryat, but I couldn't close the deal in FJ! I knew what they wanted, but it took me until 7-8 seconds after the end of the Think Music to pull Quantico from the back of my brain. It was also the second week in a row where a Friday miss keeps me from checking the smiley box on the weekly poll.

Anyone else get a chuckle out of the fact that there have only been four female SCOTUS justices in U.S. history and the contestants named the wrong three?
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:43 pm The Wizards began as the Chicago Packers in 1961. They became the Zephyrs in 1962 before moving to Baltimore in 1963.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Wizards
All of this is correct, but doesn't give the correct response.

I just wanted preview a DC/Balt sports FJ!
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's easy for Jon to think after the game that he could or should have bet more on his Daily Double. During the match it's way too rare to even imagine Jon going for the 7600+ out of 11200 that he would have needed to wager for a lock at the end.

Robert had the only get for the FJ! clue from second place and the pattern lately is that gets the player the title.

The HORROR category was fun with 5/5 for getting the clues and for having seen/watching Halloween, AHS, Scream, Blair Witch (wow that recent version is terrible), and (five excellent seasons, ending at the right time) Bates Motel.

The FJ! clue was one when I needed a TV show path (And here to give the clue is Priyanka Chopra) to get there for the solve. As the clue was written all I could do was Potomac to Virginia, not Alexandria, something military, wrote (no chance for Native American) Norfolk. Quantico checked all the boxes and I'm sure I would have got there in LL time.

I think I used up my rivers in the east luck when I got the TS for figuring out that had to be the Niagara.

Writers: Do the trefoil shortbread clue in February when I still have some to enjoy and not March when the stash is already depleted.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:24 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm Let's see if we get a Nationals/Capitals/Ravens/Orioles sports FJ within the next week or two.
No respect for the Wizards or that other team which shall remain nameless, I tell ya, no respect.
This is the only current major sports franchise in the Washington/Baltimore area which originated there.
The Capitals, I presume? Ravens...duh. 'skins started in...Boston or Chicago? Orioles were in St Louis, Nats in Canada. Hockey isn't my strong suit.
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:52 am The HORROR category was fun with 5/5 for getting the clues and for having seen/watching Halloween, AHS, Scream, Blair Witch (wow that recent version is terrible), and (five excellent seasons, ending at the right time) Bates Motel.
I watched the first two eps of AHS, thought it was awful, and ran for the hills. Yet next fall will be season 7, and it continues to rack up Emmy wins. I may need to give it another go someday. I say that about a lot of shows lately, there's more good stuff out there than hours in the day. I've always meant to check out Bates Motel, but never found the time.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 am The CIA HQ is in Langley/McLean, VA, about 40 miles north of Quantico.
Maybe I'm getting something turned around but how can that be? According to the clue, Quantico is on the Potomac. The Potomac, a roughly west-east flowing river, is the northern border of Virginia. Therefore anything north of Quantico, on the Potomac, would not be in Virginia.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

xxaaaxx wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 am
The Capitals, I presume? Ravens...duh. 'skins started in...Boston or Chicago? Orioles were in St Louis, Nats in Canada. Hockey isn't my strong suit.
That is correct. That other NFL team did come from Boston.
OCSam
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

This is a weird bizaare way to end the week. Poor Jon had such a big lead over the champ and Robert in the first round, and lost it. Stephanie just couldn't get any rhythm and Robert just made his prescence known in the DJ! round. Two big negs from Jon literally sank his chances. $4,000 lost in only two clues. Stephanie didn't fare well either as she lost $3,600 in negs, as well as misread the DD! clue when it said "4-word" not "4-letter".

To be honest, I didn't know that there was a Native American place named Quantico. Can someone fill me in on the Native American history to when Quantico was considered a place?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:58 pm
Where's the love for Stephanie on this board? Isn't Zumba just another fitness craze du jour, which happens to have better staying power than tap dancing, kick boxing, P90X, Nordic Track, spin classes, etc.. Nobody will be doing it in ten years. She didn't seem to be shilling for anything to me, just a typical newbie to exercise, or converted couch potato with enthusiasm.
Heh, I reserve the right to root against any contestant promoting a useless/counterproductive fitness fad on the show! Especially when they recommend it to poor Alex, who has had some mobility issues. The last thing that man needs is Zumba. :)
Leander

Post by Leander »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:20 am
econgator wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 am The CIA HQ is in Langley/McLean, VA, about 40 miles north of Quantico.
Maybe I'm getting something turned around but how can that be? According to the clue, Quantico is on the Potomac. The Potomac, a roughly west-east flowing river, is the northern border of Virginia. Therefore anything north of Quantico, on the Potomac, would not be in Virginia.
At least for much of the VA/MD border, the Potomac flows roughly NW to SE. But south of Washington it loops back to the west for a bit, and Quantico is towards the bottom of the loop. So Quantico is roughly due south of Langley and might even be a bit SW.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's not like that other team deserves any respect ...
dhkendall wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:20 am
What, they don't have Google maps up there in Canada? Sheesh, I have to do everything around here!

Quantico.PNG
Quantico.PNG (119.01 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:34 pm I was rooting against Stephanie as soon as she did an impromptu advertisement for Zumba.
Where's the love for Stephanie on this board? Isn't Zumba just another fitness craze du jour, which happens to have better staying power than tap dancing, kick boxing, P90X, Nordic Track, spin
Here's the love! I thought Stephanie was fun, very smart, good energy, great diction. I'd rather hear a player talk about Zumba than how she met her husband/wife. Zzzz.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:24 am
Where's the love for Stephanie on this board? Isn't Zumba just another fitness craze du jour, which happens to have better staying power than tap dancing, kick boxing, P90X, Nordic Track, spin
Here's the love! I thought Stephanie was fun, very smart, good energy, great diction. I'd rather hear a player talk about Zumba than how she met her husband/wife. Zzzz.
Maybe Iron Neck was witness to an unspeakable Zumba incident and is psychologically scarred :? .

I agree on the "how you met your mate" schtick, but 15 stories a week is a lot of plot space to fill. I am now mildly curious about how many fads have come and gone (remember Racketball?). I would not want to invest in any exercise craze. In 20 years, I expect weightlifting gyms to be about the only survivors from today's routines.

Road racing has devolved into mud runs, etc.., but upper end Marathons will survive. There's too many for-profit half-marathons and 5/10K's. Are you going to run Boston this year? I think you said you have a BQ time, but I don't know if it was recent. You also have to win an entry lottery, and your luck hasn't been so good on J! ;)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 amAre you going to run Boston this year? I think you said you have a BQ time, but I don't know if it was recent. You also have to win an entry lottery, and your luck hasn't been so good on J! ;)
LOL. I qualified for the 2018 race. I cleared my qualifying time by 4 min and change so I should get into the race. It's not a lottery but they invite people to register based on the difference bt qualifying time and qualifying standard. Race closes when all spots have been filled. Generally, a 2 min margin is good enough.