Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC ANNIVERSARIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In July 1938 about 2,000 people with an average age of 94 gathered at this site for a 75th & final reunion

Adam Vesterholt: 17400+201=17601
Julie Brannon: 19200+9200=28400 (New Champ)
Steve Asiatico: 17600-17595=5

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gettysburg (Steve – the firing on Ft. Sumter)

Daily Doubles
Adam: 3400+3400
Julie: 13200+2000
Adam: 12000+5000

Coryats
Adam: 10800
Julie: 18800
Steve: 17600

Combined: 47,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That's quite a game when 17400 is the low score for the FJ! round.

I'll make a prediction that IronNeck will be happy with 33% of the Daily Double wagers.

Adam's FJ! round wager did not work out for him and I'm sure he's thought about it since taping day. That he would have won if the clue had been a tougher one does him no good today.

Julie got the title with a little help from the gentlemen as the guy who bet small got the clue right while the guy who bet big missed the clue.

Even though Julie did not bet to cover a potential 35200 by Steve the bigger crime was Steve missing the FJ! clue in the first place. Do the math and know some history. Make Julie pay for that possible drop to a pretty 10K on a miss cuteness.

Excellent combined Coryat of 47,200 by the players to put on a good show. It's been a stacked field so far this week.

DD1 was: When a breeze knocked fruit to the ground, it was called this, now a term for any unexpected boon

I found two other hits in the Archive as I recalled the one from the UTOC:

#5889, aired 2010-04-01 "W"ORDS $800: Literally referring to something blown down, it's used to mean "an unexpected gain"
#4743, aired 2005-03-30 VOCABULARY: This term for a sudden piece of good fortune
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Even though, for some reason I got AUDRA MCDONALD $1000 in this game watching my Daytime Jeopardy! tape of it just a few minutes before watching today's show, I still couldn't pull the playwright of Raisin in the Sun for this game, despite Hansberry's name being a help to get it in the repeat game! (I suck at theatre clues is what I'm trying to say, and that was my major in university!)

Did the math, but didn't think Gettysburg was 1863, I thought that was the last year of the war (which, yes, I now know was 1865) and the most appropriate locale I could think of was Appomattox Court House. (I'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm Did the math, but didn't think Gettysburg was 1863, I thought that was the last year of the war (which, yes, I now know was 1865) and the most appropriate locale I could think of was Appomattox Court House. (I'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?)
I've heard Gettysburg called "the most significant battle of the Civil War" and since it definitely had the most casualties of any battle, I'm inclined to believe it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Adam omitted the copula. His FJ response was "What Gettysburg"; which is not a question.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm Adam omitted the copula. His FJ response was "What Gettysburg"; which is not a question.
Many J! champs have done that and just as many viewers have posted about that or even the missing question mark at the end. Should Meral from the Monday game file an appeal since Adam did the same thing yesterday?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm I'll make a prediction that IronNeck will be happy with 33% of the Daily Double wagers.
Sometimes, I understand a contestant's aversion to betting bigger, or wanting to leave themselves a chance to climb back into respectable position going into FJ. In Adam's position, however, I definitely would've gone TDD, or no less than 10k if I wanted to make sure I had a little left to play FJ. Too much money left on the board with no LTaM signal in sight (yay for 61 clues!!) to just barely take the lead. Sure enough, she pulls ahead at the wire.
His FJ wager...bleargh. Assuming a standard shutout wager from 1st, he could've safely bet...14 grand, give or take? And if you're going to bet small, at least take the lead.
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm...the bigger crime was Steve missing the FJ! clue in the first place. Do the math and know some history. Make Julie pay for that possible drop to a pretty 10K on a miss cuteness.
I was trying to think of a single good reason for her wager. 10k on a miss!?! Ugh. If it's possible, I hate it even more now. But yeah, that was a slam dunk triple get and he'll be kicking himself for a while.
dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pmI'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?
it was the deadliest battle of the war (still one the top 10 deadliest ever for the US, even after WW1/2). Part of the battlefield was turned into a cemetary; Lincoln's Address was delivered at its consecration.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $26,000
41 R/6 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

A magnificent game by the players, but what a bunch of turribull FJ! wagers.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm...the bigger crime was Steve missing the FJ! clue in the first place. Do the math and know some history. Make Julie pay for that possible drop to a pretty 10K on a miss cuteness.
I was trying to think of a single good reason for her wager. 10k on a miss!?! Ugh. If it's possible, I hate it even more now.
This is why I root for a new champion to come into a repeat wagering scenario, as I did (comment) about the March 23 contest, because it is fun to see if they get any wiser about the all important FJ wager before it bites them in the butt.

And there has been recent a trend of players in Adam's position that don't get the concept of 'If you have to get it right' to get to the projected position, at least figure out what the highest depreciation score is going to be (3,199) and wager everything in excess of that.
Of course, Julie's flakey wager wiould have thrown a monkey wrench into that on a TS, but it would have given him the win from third on a RRW.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm I'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?
It wasn't necessarily thought to be signicant at he time, but it's now generally considered the turning point of the war. "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara is a curiously named but remarkable book of historical fiction about the battle, if you're interested.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Outstanding game! I got a lot of categories in my wheelhouse, with a season-high 47 R and $39,400. But when I saw the contestants combined for 58 R and $47,200, my jaw dropped. Games like this only come once, maybe twice in a season.
Any FJ clue that requires you to do math after you already (hopefully) put careful thought into a wager is perfectly okay in my book.
(Those numbers right include FJ, and the values are Coryats.)
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Physician > BMS > geriatric physician, I guess that works, but they were clearly going for geriatrician

TS: Fela, Tennessee Williams

4/5 on PLAY TIME, blanked on Playboy of the Western World. I was just reading about Lorraine Hansberry - she died of cancer at age 34. Horrible.

VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE: Venice for $2000?? Is this teen week??

2/5 MAMMALS. I can do better.

The DDs were all gimmes today: Big Bang, Shard and the other one

What play on words were they going for with 'array'?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm
dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:03 pm I'm wondering, was Gettysburg a particularly notable battle, or was it just President Lincoln's speech there that made it a reunion-worthy event?
It wasn't necessarily thought to be signicant at he time, but it's now generally considered the turning point of the war.
The result of the battle effectively ended the South's chance of winning the war. Lee was hoping to make inroads in the North in an attempt to show the South had a chance of winning (and also getting other countries to support their cause and/or remain neutral).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I first became aware of the Gettysburg reunions because to commemorate the battle's 150th anniversary in 2013, Trains magazine ran an article about the special trains that the railroads ran to the reunions.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Surprised more people aren't noting "physician" getting a BMS, allowing Julie a second shot at the clue. I was shocked it was accepted, and even moreso that it wasn't reversed.

It marred what was otherwise an excellent game.

On a personal note, I had 0 LTs for the first time all season, but also had a $35,000+ Coryat, all 3 DDs, and tied my personal best start by the first commercial break, getting 14 of the 15 clues.

FJ was instaget.

Also, playing from home, I started singing this song for the relevant clue;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc (Edit- Wow, video doesn't work on this new forum!)
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:54 pm That's quite a game when 17400 is the low score for the FJ! round.

I'll make a prediction that IronNeck will be happy with 33% of the Daily Double wagers.
I actually thought all 3 wagers were reasonable. I would have bet more than $5k in Adam's shoes on his second one, but his wager wasn't wrong, either.
MarkBarrett wrote:Adam's FJ! round wager did not work out for him and I'm sure he's thought about it since taping day.
It was a reasonable wager from third place. The only truly wrong FJ wager was Julie not covering with a small lead over 2nd and 3rd.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This game put The Narwahl Song into earworm mode for me.
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm

What play on words were they going for with 'array'?
I think it was "very grand" or "very great," can't quite remember the clue wording.

Here's a video that includes an excerpt from Episode 9 of Ken Burns' The Civil War about that Gettysburg reunion in 1938.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:14 pm What play on words were they going for with 'array'?
Peachbox wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:47 pm I think it was "very grand" or "very great," can't quite remember the clue wording.

The clue read: A grouping of something; there's a "very large" one watching the skies in New Mexico

It was referring to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_G._J ... arge_Array

IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:39 pm Surprised more people aren't noting "physician" getting a BMS, allowing Julie a second shot at the clue. I was shocked it was accepted, and even moreso that it wasn't reversed.
Her answer was technically correct but it wasn't what they wanted. They rule out a "technically correct" response by giving the BMS which requires the actual response.

The clue read: Dr. Eric Coleman, one of these "-icians", helps the elderly transition from hospital to home

He is technically a physician. Physician is not wrong. They don't want to rule her incorrect for something which is accurate but they don't want to give her credit for it either, hence the BMS. I'm only speculating but that seems pretty reasonable.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.