Wednesday, March 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORDS IN THE NEWS 2016

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
NASA wished John Glenn this 8-letter word when he made the 1st U.S. manned orbital flight in 1962 & again upon his passing in 2016

Julie Brannon: 12800+6000=18800 (2x = $47,200)
Rachel Levinson-Emley: 8800+4200=13000
Tricia Riley: 9200+9199=18399

Correct response:
Spoiler
Godspeed

Daily Doubles
Tricia: 1000-1000
Julie: 6600+1400
Julie: 11600+2000

Coryats
Julie: 11400
Rachel: 8800
Tricia: 10200

Combined: 30,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If a player adds an "s" to Revelation that is a bust. Six-Day War with an extra "s" will fly.

4-LETTER WORDS $1200: The sound when a bell or laughter rings out

I took the neg with toll.

Yay, I got everything right in ASIAN FLAGS. Boo, it was only a 2/2 thanks to the three unplayed clues. That will cost DHK $4800 on his Coryat.

My 5/15 in LL for Current Events was a tip-off that WORDS IN THE NEWS 2016 would be trouble for me. I could not even make 8 letters as I wrote "travels" as time was almost up.

Too bad I had not recalled this post.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3912&p=234524&hilit ... ed#p234524

Even if I had played the clue closer to December there is no guarantee I join the players in the solve. Julie played both DD2 & DD3 with correct responses, so as should happen she had the lead for the FJ! round. Instead of betting too little this time she went the other way and bet a tad too much. It's two wins and the chance to play a third game. That's what matters for her.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

For some reason, this was an instaget FJ for me. Not that I confidently remembered or anything, but it just seemed right.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Is it me or was the FJ category a bit misleading? John Glenn dying was in the news, but was NASA wishing him godspeed considered newsworthy? I was expecting a newly coined buzzword or something. Eh, still got it though.

Also, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah principality blah blah blah blah blah. Why can't people offer me free $2000 like that?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

During the commercial break before FJ, I precalled bigly, whitelash, lit, woke, and Trumpsexual. I'm not sure how I got the actual clue, but I did, and was glad that it wasn't one of the five I precalled.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had similar thoughts to some of you. The category made me think the correct response would be some neologism like "Brexit".

I guessed the correct response, but it was more "think of a regular word that seems appropriate that also is 8 letters".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ON*

* Outchange Night
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Alex started to let out a groan of disapointment when he revealed Julie's wager, as if he was expecting another wagering gaff from her. I guess he's not as good at quick addition as he is at subtraction.

All three over bet in FJ!, but with a gimmie clue, it didn't cost anybody.

Second time within four games someone badly missed an easy Canadian/U.S. border river when spotted a map visual.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Julie made it difficult for herself by betting so little on those 2 DDs. That should have been either a crush or a lock for her by the end of Double Jeopardy. Then again, with her not locking from the lead yesterday and now over-betting the lock by $399, she is likely going to continue to give up equity there. Hopefully, she doesn't lose in the way Fred Vaughn did.

On an amusing note, though, she got that "nanometer" DD as quickly as I did, which I wouldn't someone not into math and science to.

LT: John McCain, Svetlana, American Hustle, Allegiant, Legion of Honor

FJ: No clue whatsoever. Props to all three contestants for getting it quickly.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

grindcore wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:13 pm Is it me or was the FJ category a bit misleading? John Glenn dying was in the news, but was NASA wishing him godspeed considered newsworthy? I was expecting a newly coined buzzword or something. Eh, still got it though.
Strictly speaking, NASA saying godspeed in 2016 wouldn't in of itself be newsworthy, but godspeed is one of those words that's just so NASA.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:09 pm ON*

* Outchange Night
8-)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 pm

On an amusing note, though, she got that "nanometer" DD as quickly as I did, which I wouldn't someone not into math and science to.
I thought the same thing - She BEAT me to it. I was trying to savor the clue and make sure I didn't mis-read/mis-hear, especially since I work daily with units of micrometers, but we call them microns in real life, and also use micrometers (= measuring instrument) to measure crap. I also have to regularly parse between "mils" as to whether it is "millimeters", or "thousandths of an inch". Anyhow, great speed on her part.

I quit keeping a log and don't know the exact name of the category, but I want more of those shoe or fashion clues/categories. Two of the answers floored me - one about a monk strap and I still don't know the other one. I don't go for the stereotype of gender biases, but if there's some female oriented categories, bring them on.

I am not a big space junkie (I abhor our manned space flight efforts as unscientific and senseless), but am a fanboy of the Mercury 7, so FJ was easy. I tried to read the body language and thought they all looked remorseful - did they sweat about their answer or their bets? I bombed badly on the rocks or stones category (I should keep notes), which should be a strength for me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My connection was being stupid and randomly refusing to load pages/images, so I wasn't in total focus.

NHO Six Days War or Indiana Fever = basketball.

Didn't recognize anything in that sport category, for that matter. Where did they dig up all these obscure Z-grade teams?

WLT Islam at $400?

No guess on FJ! This seemed very YEKIOYD. How the hell was it a triple get?!
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Well, I royally hate that FJ just couldn't quite come to me like it should have tonight, the nut for all that is space and sci-fi-esque words I usually am. My mom got it, and the very moment she said 'godspeed', I knew she was right. Oy...

My brain honestly wasn't and isn't what it usually is tonight and the last day or so (which honestly made my J! game last night pretty danged amazing). And due to my being in big time zen mode with Yahtzee on my phone and a week long event (an Egyptian themed one...by far the best and coolest motif they've ever had, but you need to keep a ginormous stockpile of in-game currency, which can be won for free through PVP, thank goodness) they're doing...it's easily the most game marathoning I've done since September last year, when I gunned for number one in the world for the weekly Monday Midtown (NYC) Madness in Marvel Heroes (and you best believe I got it!), and really ever. So other than getting the John McCain DD/LT, the mojo LT, and 'running' the two clues of Asian Flags, my game very admittingly suffered tonight, and probably will tomorrow night and Friday as well.

So...Godspeed Me! Black Empress? :geek: ;)
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Away (4), Foot (1), Once (3), 1967 (3), Sport (5), Rocks (2)
"A" Cast (4), Thousand (2), Epic (4), Flags (2), 4-Letter (1), Cousteau (2)

Lach Trash: soccer, American Hustle, Monaco; DD: John McCain

Instaget FJ.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Maven wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:39 pm
So...Godspeed Me! Black Empress? :geek: ;)
I will be ticking the "I was surprised and very pleased to see a GY!BE reference in Wednesday's game thread" for this weekend's poll.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Flag category (or any geography-related category, really) left to the end and having less than half the clues revealed makes dhk
Attachments
Gaming-Rage-Face.jpg
Gaming-Rage-Face.jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,400
41 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: John McCain (DD), soccer, sham

NHO the kiltie tongue. Them are some ridiculous-looking shoes.
Sprinkles are for winners.