Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Foretopman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:58 am I've always felt TOM is used incorrectly a lot on this board. As the definition says it's supposed to be a measure (metric) of the ability of a clue to be solved based on the peripheral information. Many people seem to use it when what they really mean is "what was the hint?"
Strictly speaking, your main point here is correct. Correct usages would be "that clue had a lot of TOM", or "there wasn't much TOM in that clue". Saying "What was the TOM in that clue?" isn't strictly right. But I'm not bothered by it; I see it as shorthand for "I personally thought there was very little TOM in that clue; was there a hint that I missed?"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey mcdaveface wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am I can't make sense of any of the wagers. They must not supply calculators.
Depends on your definition of calculator. They provide a piece of paper and a Sharpie.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I'm in the "I thought Les Misérables was older than that, and picked Evita" group. A very limited number of reasonable choices, and I still pick the wrong one :P.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 am
Foretopman wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:11 am On the Kryptos clue, I said "secret" instead of "hidden". Judges?
I don't think so. "Secret" is something like "mystikos".
That clue annoyed me so much. I precalled 'Kryptos' for the category, saw the clue. "HA! Kryptos!" before realizing they likely wouldn't ask for the name of the piece at the $400 level and by that point was too mentally distracted to process translating "kryptos" (Which, given krypton, should've been easier for me regardless). Ran the category otherwise. *pouts*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I read the clue as "old musical about revolution" and confidently said, "Carousel." Considering Les Mis is my favorite musical, it wasn't my best moment...
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

Kevin S. wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 pm
davey mcdaveface wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:55 am I can't make sense of any of the wagers. They must not supply calculators.
Depends on your definition of calculator. They provide a piece of paper and a Sharpie.
I definitely did the math about 20 times in my first game to make sure I didn't wager too much.
davey

Post by davey »

theamazingchong wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:37 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:28 am
Should I know that Idaho has lots of Mormons? I went with coin flipping Illinois/Indiana since I figured it made sense for a Bible Belt state.
Mormons are mostly found in the West. Think Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and, yes, Idaho.

The Mormons were violently evicted from Illinois. Nauvoo in a thousand years would I answer Illinois.
I was thinking of Nauvoo when I went for Illinois--the bit about them getting kicked out (and Joseph Smith getting killed by an angry mob) escaped me.

Should've remembered that the other BYU campuses (outside of the main campus in Provo) are in Idaho and Hawaii.
There is, however, a temple in Nauvoo, Illinois today-
http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/nauvoo/
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pm It's sad to see 28 grand lost by a bad decision. She fought back at the end and grabbed the last clue before the buzzer. She answered some tough questions in that pen name category - I don't think the others wanted any part of them.

I was trying to channel Morbeedo in FJ, because I don't know any Broadway stuff. I went with Jersey Boys, just hoping that there was something about Revolution that Tom'd to it. The Revolution TOM took me to "Hair" first, but the math said nope. I loved the TV miniseries on Les Mis in the 1980's (PBS I assume). I think I even read it in College. But I NHO as a Broadway show, much less a musical.
Are you sure about that :?:
There was a French-language series in 2000. (I'm not sure if it was seen in the US.) But I don't believe there's ever been an English-language miniseries. Several movies, of course, including one with Liam Neeson in 1998. Kind of hard to escape the musical in the 1980s, though... :shock:
The BBC is coming out with a miniseries next year.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was kind of half-asleep when I watched this episode. I might have gotten FJ if I had been more alert, but who knows. I could not pull out its name and went with Evita.

I really don't know much about it other than it's about a guy who stole some bread.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 amMormons are mostly found in the West. Think Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and, yes, Idaho.
California as well. LDS and Baptists are in a virtual tie for the second-largest denomination in the state, each having over 800,000 adherents.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 pm
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:32 amMormons are mostly found in the West. Think Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and, yes, Idaho.
California as well. LDS and Baptists are in a virtual tie for the second-largest denomination in the state, each having over 800,000 adherents.
Source? It doesn't look like it to me: http://www.pewforum.org/religious-lands ... alifornia/
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:36 pm
Source? It doesn't look like it to me: http://www.pewforum.org/religious-lands ... alifornia/
I was using this site, but your data looks better than mine. Gallup has California as 1.8% LDS, but doesn't differentiate between Protestant sects.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know all the places in the category began with I and said Nevada.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I was going on concentration rather than enumeration. This number represents 2 to 3 percent of the population of the state.

But yes, I know about Mormons in California. I live within walking distance of an LDS church and the first Mormons I met were high school classmates after moving to CA.
OCSam
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pm It's sad to see 28 grand lost by a bad decision. She fought back at the end and grabbed the last clue before the buzzer. She answered some tough questions in that pen name category - I don't think the others wanted any part of them.

I was trying to channel Morbeedo in FJ, because I don't know any Broadway stuff. I went with Jersey Boys, just hoping that there was something about Revolution that Tom'd to it. The Revolution TOM took me to "Hair" first, but the math said nope. I loved the TV miniseries on Les Mis in the 1980's (PBS I assume). I think I even read it in College. But I NHO as a Broadway show, much less a musical.
There was a French-language series in 2000. (I'm not sure if it was seen in the US.) But I don't believe there's ever been an English-language miniseries. Several movies, of course, including one with Liam Neeson in 1998. Kind of hard to escape the musical in the 1980s, though... :shock:
No - I'm definitely not sure about the airing or timing. I live in a cultural wasteland and put up a big antenna to catch a distant PBS station to watch Carl Sagan' Cosmos series through snow and static (in 1980). I binged on PBS until I can't watch another Nature show to this day.
Wiki shows a BBC mini-series ca. 1967. My best guess is that I saw a Masterpiece Theatre mashup of this show. Definitely not a musical, I hate them things. I really got into it, but after giving drama and fiction a whirl, I don't care for any of the genre. The last thing I want to invest time into a movie for is escapism and sadness.
Now that this thread is older, I'm surprised that so many of the Whiz Kids here missed it. However, I don't think the Revolution TOM is fair, and actually misleading. But I'm the only Jersey Boy dummy so far ;).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 am

No - I'm definitely not sure about the airing or timing. I live in a cultural wasteland and put up a big antenna to catch a distant PBS station to watch Carl Sagan' Cosmos series through snow and static (in 1980). I binged on PBS until I can't watch another Nature show to this day.
Wiki shows a BBC mini-series ca. 1967. My best guess is that I saw a Masterpiece Theatre mashup of this show. Definitely not a musical, I hate them things. I really got into it, but after giving drama and fiction a whirl, I don't care for any of the genre. The last thing I want to invest time into a movie for is escapism and sadness.
Now that this thread is older, I'm surprised that so many of the Whiz Kids here missed it. However, I don't think the Revolution TOM is fair, and actually misleading. But I'm the only Jersey Boy dummy so far ;).
Good catch on the '67 miniseries. Or maybe you saw the 1978 tv movie. It was aired on CBS.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077936/
I don't know what could be misleading in the clue. A musical about revolution running for 30 years points as directly to Les Mis as can be.
Leander

Post by Leander »

davey wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:09 am

Good catch on the '67 miniseries. Or maybe you saw the 1978 tv movie. It was aired on CBS.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077936/
I don't know what could be misleading in the clue. A musical about revolution running for 30 years points as directly to Les Mis as can be.
I'm surprised in the discussion of all these versions of Les Mis, no one brought up the Hugh Jackman/Anne Hathaway/Russell Crowe film version of the musical, which got several Oscar nominations and a Best Supporting Actress Award for Hathaway a couple of years ago.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pmI was trying to channel Morbeedo in FJ, because I don't know any Broadway stuff.
Ha! It probably didn't work because I've never seen "Les Miz" in any form. My apartment is walking distance from Broadway / Times Square, but I mainly just walk on by because I'm not into musical theatre that bigly. I'll take a straight play over song and dance any day (though I do have tickets to see Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard later this month!)

Anyway, thanks for the shout out :D

PS/ morbeedo is always lower case
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:59 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:09 pmI was trying to channel Morbeedo in FJ, because I don't know any Broadway stuff.
Ha! It probably didn't work because I've never seen "Les Miz" in any form. My apartment is walking distance from Broadway / Times Square, but I mainly just walk on by because I'm not into musical theatre that bigly. I'll take a straight play over song and dance any day (though I do have tickets to see Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard later this month!)

Anyway, thanks for the shout out :D

PS/ morbeedo is always lower case
Ironically, I cannot name a single non-musical Broadway play offhand. And, of the 5-6 plays I've seen (as a reluctant tourist), they've all been musicals. So I guess the form is ubiquitous. I've been schooled here that everything is a subject for song, death, cancer, whatever..

I figured even if you aren't a theater junkie, you can't walk by all those giant-ass billboards and not burn in some of the names just like the phosphors on a screen. You'll still be my go-to muse for NYC and marathon minutae, lol..

Roger that on the lower case. I haven't used an upper case in my signature since my first driver's license at 16. It's impossible to make a decent cursive "K", and I stumbled on the lower case improvement long before I ever was told about e.e. cummings or kd lang.

I'm looking for a clown nosed contestant on J! sometime soon!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 am Roger that on the lower case. I haven't used an upper case in my signature since my first driver's license at 16. It's impossible to make a decent cursive "K", and I stumbled on the lower case improvement long before I ever was told about e.e. cummings or kd lang.
LOL! Same problem here! I developed my signature in Grade 9, but after about 10 years found that writing an upper case K was too taxing and slowed down my signature, especially since it follows an upper case H in my signature, so I made it into a lowercase one. (As for the initial D, it's hard to define if it's lower case or upper case, I guess technically it's lower, but the letters of my first name combine in my signature to come together to look like a cursive uppercase D, the initial downstroke and loop at the bottom being the first d. So, yeah, I even sign my cheques with my internet alias in a way, I'm that much of a nerd.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012