Friday, March 31, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, March 31, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Kenny wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 pm SMH over knowing the writers' affinity for Shakespeare in FJ clues yet not getting this one. Was focused on royals: Tudors and Stewarts.
Stuart was an earlier clue so it wouldn't have been FJ.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:26 pm "Bon Apetit" is a magazine?!?
And a hilarious sight gag in Silence of the Lambs.
dhkendall wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:41 pm It wasn't a nickname they had to find, it was the title of an autobiography that used a title he'd already used previously. (No quote marks because it's from memory, but I think I'm close in the clue wording). That being said, "Born to Run" doesn't make much sense because he's had dozens of hit song titles, which one could it be? (I think my "Born in the USA" guess is better, it's a bigger hit (arguably), and it's a fact about him that everyone knows. "Born to Run" is either a YEKIOYD or a crap shoot of song titles.)
Why wouldn't "Born to Run" make sense as an autobiography? IMO it came down to a coin flip between the two 'Born...' titles because that would make the most sense as a title for a story of one's life.

I think I got FJ more on the year than the weapon, oddly enough.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 pm

Same here.

Like Mark, I had spear, lance, and pike, but never could put two and two together.
Another great FJ from the writers. Stumped many smart people here and made even dumb people (yours truly) slap their heads at home.

I just knew it had to be the real long thingie they use to make a phalanx, and it took me a few moments to come up with the word "pike". When I couldn't associate a name with "pike", then I basically was blocked from even producing spear or sword. I said "Newton", and spent the rest of the time trying to think of contemporaries in Science (which is my strongest suit).

I'm impressed at all the boardies who got "isomer". That's College level Chem knowledge unless it is known as a kind of stock trivia nugget. I got it, but barely in time, by working backward from the definition. Once you know what it is, you don't think about how it is described in words. I think about the structure of isopropyl alcohol vs. n-propanol, not about how they are both C3H7OH.

Anyhow, boardies are smart, even if sometimes they don't put two and two together ;) ...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:47 am I'm impressed at all the boardies who got "isomer". That's College level Chem knowledge unless it is known as a kind of stock trivia nugget.
I suppose it depends on the college and high schools in question, but "isomers" were taught at every single chemistry level at my high school. And during the first half of the year at that.

Since Jeopardy "science" clues are largely restricted to names, terms, and nomenclature, the difficulty on bottom row clues is hit and miss.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

I hope that there was a 2 week gap between Friday's game and Monday's game so that Vernon can get some new glasses. He has to almost close his eyes to read the board.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:33 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:47 am I'm impressed at all the boardies who got "isomer". That's College level Chem knowledge unless it is known as a kind of stock trivia nugget.
I suppose it depends on the college and high schools in question, but "isomers" were taught at every single chemistry level at my high school. And during the first half of the year at that.

Since Jeopardy "science" clues are largely restricted to names, terms, and nomenclature, the difficulty on bottom row clues is hit and miss.
Maybe I'm thinking of "enantiomers", but part of it for me was backing up to the term from the description. The clue was possibly negbait for someone to blurt our "isotope" as well. It's sort of like the aliens in Star Trek calling humans "ugly bags filled with mostly water".
I'm sure isomers were mentioned incidentally, but my Chemistry teacher only knew about the four elements - earth, water, air, fire...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

PeteMoss wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 am I hope that there was a 2 week gap between Friday's game and Monday's game so that Vernon can get some new glasses. He has to almost close his eyes to read the board.
Given the games appearing the week of April 10 (next week) were taped on a Tuesday, he won't have that luxury.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised at how many people struggled with an FJ! that I insta-got. So weird for me to be on the other side for once.

(inb4 Adele jokes)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm a few months behind on podcasts. Saturday night, my iPod played the next one in its playlist: WTF 773, with Bruce Springsteen, in which his autobiography is discussed. I'd be mad about the timing if I'd missed that clue, kicking myself for listening to music for one day a couple months ago.