2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

stevo4212
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2011-13 Tournament of Champions Standings (enter at your own risk)

Post by stevo4212 »

Any chance of Erin Zwiener getting into the TOC?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We already have a college champ and a teacher's champ and a new techer tournament starts Wednseday, so that will be three tournament winners. So there is only room for 12 regular players and someone in 15th place on the list isn't going to make it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:We already have a college champ and a teacher's champ and a new techer tournament starts Wednseday, so that will be three tournament winners. So there is only room for 12 regular players and someone in 15th place on the list isn't going to make it.
First the teacher's tournament and now they are going to give a TOC spot to a Silicon Valley geek in November? ;)

If the TOC tapes in January for a February airing TPTB should round up a second alternate in case anyone faces travel problems. I remember hearing horror stories from some in the 1999 field. It's not always reliable but some of the TV ticket sites will list the TOC for the appropriate taping dates.

A quick check showed nothing through Dec. 5th. Unless David is playing us it seems he has heard nothing. I would think a month's notice is the minimum to make plans, so the calendar would hint it's not happening in December since a break would probably happen before the week of the 19th.

I'll guess the taping is early January when people get back to work for 2013.

Erin would have to hire quite the private eye to dig up a lot of dirt to eliminate enough players to make the field.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

So, Baker's Dozen and I sat down and did the calculations (ok, he did the calcs and I watched), and based on how many they're taping in advance, we think the calendar still works out with the ToC airing in Mid-March, with filming in February. There were approximately 26 taping days from the start of the season to the end of October (when ComingupMilhouse mentioned their taping). If you count 26 weeks from when the season started, you get mid-March for an air date. Or at least that's how he explained it me! (And which correlates with what TPTB told me.)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

possible, but the press release on the jeopardy website says:
In February 2013, fans will enjoy the return of the prestigious Tournament of Champions, which features recent Jeopardy! champs competing in the ultimate contest for the top prize of $250,000.
presumably the fans will only be able to enjoy the ToC once it airs, although i have to confess, i'm already getting excited for it after watching your run and keith's.
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be February. My episode is supposed to air February 27, and I'm pretty sure Alex opened the show with a comment like, "Wasn't that an exciting Tournament of Champions?" It's possible I'm misremembering and he was talking about another tournament, but I think it's ToC.
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be February. My episode is supposed to air February 27, and I'm pretty sure Alex opened the show with a comment like, "Wasn't that an exciting Tournament of Champions?" It's possible I'm misremembering and he was talking about another tournament, but I think it's ToC.
Well that seems pretty conclusive. Guess my studying regime just went into overdrive... I'm sure glad to hear that Alex thought it was exciting! :mrgreen:
ComingUpMilhouse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ComingUpMilhouse »

Given the makeup of the tournament, it was probably the one prediction he felt comfortable making. :)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

ComingUpMilhouse wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be February. My episode is supposed to air February 27, and I'm pretty sure Alex opened the show with a comment like, "Wasn't that an exciting Tournament of Champions?" It's possible I'm misremembering and he was talking about another tournament, but I think it's ToC.
Well did you ask him who won? That would sure be helpful information to have before I place my bets.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Dr. J wrote:...we think the calendar still works out with the ToC airing in Mid-March, with filming in February.
It's quite unlikely that the ToC or any tournament will air in mid-March; not counting the UToC, the 2009 ToC (March 11-24) is the only tournament ever to have aired between the dates of March 7 and April 29. The reason?
Spoiler
February sweeps for 2009 were moved to March because of the switch to digital television (originally) scheduled to take place on February 19.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Dr. J wrote:Well that seems pretty conclusive. Guess my studying regime just went into overdrive... I'm sure glad to hear that Alex thought it was exciting! :mrgreen:
Regimen. :)
Dr. J

Post by Dr. J »

seaborgium wrote:
Dr. J wrote:Well that seems pretty conclusive. Guess my studying regime just went into overdrive... I'm sure glad to hear that Alex thought it was exciting! :mrgreen:
Glenn Fleischman used up my quota of "n"s. ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Dr. J wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
Glenn Fleischman used up my quota of "n"s. ;)
Nope. You just turned your last n 90 degrees counter-clockwise and lost it between the s and h in "Fleishman". It was hiding in plain sight all this time.

Fortunately, you didn't need it. "Regimen" is one of the definitions of "regime". OED and Merriam-Webster list that meaning first. American Heritage lists it fourth.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Paul's fifth win knocks Andy Baggarty out of the TofC running.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Andy was only a 3x champ, so Paul's fourth win did that. Also, did it convert the L in Andy's last name into a T as well?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Which ToC had the fewest 5-Time champs?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Which ToC had the fewest 5-Time champs?
IIRC the 1986 TofC had only five five-timers. Each QF game had two four timers and a five timer.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Wow, only $1000 (exactly!) makes the cutoff at the moment.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

legendneverdies wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Which ToC had the fewest 5-Time champs?
IIRC the 1986 TofC had only five five-timers. Each QF game had two four timers and a five timer.
There were four in 2010 and in 2011, but there were people who had won more as well (one 6xer and one 7xer in 2010; three 6xers, a 7xer, and an 8xer in 2011). The 5xer + superchamp total was only four (2 + 2) in 2004 (Walsh, Ryan, Beck, Miller).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:The 5xer + superchamp total was only four (2 + 2) in 2004 (Walsh, Ryan, Beck, Miller).
Yes, but, if I remember correctly, there were lots more non-winners over the course of that year than most others.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.