Learned League 73 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 73 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

I'm noticing a fair amount of overlap between LL, Ken Jenning's Tuesday Trivia and recent Jeopardy! games. That's all
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:46 pm I seem to be riding a streak of extreme luck. I am 5th in my rundle, but I am 20th in TCA, 18th in TMP, and 13th in DE. If you look at those, I should be way lower. I seem to be eking out my wins.
Lucky duck! I'm 23 in TCA and sitting pretty in 7th place. 3rd in DE though ;)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 am I got a gift from my opponent when they gave me 2 points for the Dow Jones question and zero for Chipotle. Is there some way people are supposed to know this without eating at Chipotle?
Barbacoa is a pretty standard term; you see it at taco trucks all the time. I assume the Chipotle reference was just to pin the answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goforthetie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:57 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:33 am I got a gift from my opponent when they gave me 2 points for the Dow Jones question and zero for Chipotle. Is there some way people are supposed to know this without eating at Chipotle?
Barbacoa is a pretty standard term; you see it at taco trucks all the time. I assume the Chipotle reference was just to pin the answer.
I've never seen a taco truck. I guess I need to get out more.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:15 am
goforthetie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:57 am
I've never seen a taco truck. I guess I need to get out more.
Yeah, no taco trucks here either (and I've never set foot in a Chipotle). Guessing it refers to barbecue. Wonder if that was accepted?
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I was at a big disadvantage on that question; there are no Chipotle restaurants in my area. Fortunately, my opponent didn't know the answer, either.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SBurrus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 am
I was at a big disadvantage on that question; there are no Chipotle restaurants in my area. Fortunately, my opponent didn't know the answer, either.
Made it easy to place the 3 for my private rundle Canadian opponent!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:42 am
Mucho Burrito, a Canadian chain in Ontario and BC (not sure where else) also has barbacoa on the menu. So it is not a safe bet on making that assumption for Canadians in general.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cmp146 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:46 am
Mucho Burrito, a Canadian chain in Ontario and BC (not sure where else) also has barbacoa on the menu. So it is not a safe bet on making that assumption for Canadians in general.
Fortunately my assumption paid off as my PR opponent only got 1 question and that wasn't it.

(I thought more people would get the Pirates question as they're asking for one of four. ;I usually value "name one of" questions lower). Neither of my opponents got that one though.)

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01 pm
Fortunately my assumption paid off as my PR opponent only got 1 question and that wasn't it.

(I thought more people would get the Pirates question as they're asking for one of four. ;I usually value "name one of" questions lower). Neither of my opponents got that one though.)
How did they do on the 1/4 Dow Jones question?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:03 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:01 pm

How did they do on the 1/4 Dow Jones question?
1-1

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thank you, Andrei Codresciu. He got me 3 points on the art question yesterday. That, coupled with my opponent zeroing redshirt (which I missed, substituting the more literal bloody shirt), gave me the win.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dinghammer wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:28 am Exquisite Corpse is also the title of a song from Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
It's also a song by Bauhaus. That's how I got it. I never thought much about the title before. Bauhaus was a goth band, so it seemed an appropriate name for one of their songs, but after hearing the definition of "exquisite corpse" it makes more sense. The song is sort of a multi-movement piece that presumably has contributions from each band member.

I've never eaten at Chipotle and I missed that question. I've heard of "barbacoa" but would have never guessed it. That one sort of sealed the win for me. My opponent and I both got five right, but I missed a one-pointer (barbacoa) and he missed a two-pointer (exquisite corpse).
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Neither of my opponents knew barbacoa yesterday. Unfortunately, I assumed they would know that, and assigned low defense points, and lost both matches.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

cmp146 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:46 am Mucho Burrito, a Canadian chain in Ontario and BC (not sure where else) also has barbacoa on the menu. So it is not a safe bet on making that assumption for Canadians in general.
Yup, between Mucho Burrito and generally seeking out Mexican food on a semi-regular basis, this was instaget for me. Coincidentally, my cafeteria at work was serving barbacoa tacos just after I submitted my answers (when "Narita" finally came to mind).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I've been away from my computer since yesterday morning and just did an almost-literal spit-take when I looked at the standings in my division. I started strong in LL71 and led most of the way through MD13, after which I reverted to more typical results. I am now in first place for the first time this season (after MD14). I also drank my third-ever beer on MD12. If I do get promoted to B, I expect that my stay will be nasty, brutish, and short, but it should be interesting, anyway.

I'm glad I looked at the LL calendar--I just noticed that it's time for the Midseason Classic. Go Pacific!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I eat Mexican food. Never eaten at a Chipotle. Went with carne asada.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

econgator wrote:Guessing it refers to barbecue.
The word barbecue derives from the Spanish, which borrowed the Arawak word barbacoa meaning "wooden frame on posts."
ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:10 pmNeither of my opponents knew barbacoa yesterday. Unfortunately, I assumed they would know that, and assigned low defense points, and lost both matches.
Yeah, I got lucky for sure. Thought of adobo first (usually pork I think), then remembered carne asada and went with that. If I've ever dined at Chipotle, it was in the Dulles airport, though the local taco truck/restaurant chain features the first two meats I mentioned. Plus I got lucky with corpse--no idea what mental graveyard I dug that from, though I must have heard the phrase somewhere.
In and out of the pool four times
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Barbacoa with double meat is my go to when I dine at Chipotle, so I was tickled when I saw that question. Knowing the question in film, another weak category for me, also helped me earn the win.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I own stock in two companies only, CMG (Chipotle) and AAPL (Apple) so yesterday was pretty nice for me. If I was invested in Disney as well that would have been extra nice, but I was still able to pull one of those titles from memory.