Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

mcsheffrey wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:32 am I thought of telegraph pretty early on and was convinced that it was wrong but couldn't come up with anything else remotely plausible. I must admit that I still don't really understand why they would categorize reporting awards based on how the report was filed. Why would anybody care about any aspect of the reporting beyond what appears in the paper?
In fact, the award was only given five times, between 1942 and 1947.
http://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-category/277

There were only a few categories then, including Reporting. I wonder if Telegraphic Reporting - National was a category made up just to give out another award. I was going to say that it might be for reporting outside of newspapers' urban centers, but then I noticed that one was given for reporting on the Dumbarton Oaks conference, which was in Georgetown... :roll:
In 1948 they changed the name to National Reporting, which still exists.

I'm still struck by the clue's ambiguous phrasing. Did any Trump supporters think of...telling the truth...??
We know it couldn't be ...making stuff up...because of Janet Cooke...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Cooke
Last edited by davey on Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 am I must be eating too much smoked herring
That's crazy talk!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

When my wife was unable to come up with "telegraph," she felt quite remorseful.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:53 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am It's interesting that they would have accepted telegram since I thought that those were: (a) expensive and (b) had limited space.
According to Merriam-Webster a telegram is "a telegraphic dispatch" so I'm not sure how they couldn't accept it. I always thought a telegram was a message sent via telegraph, so I'm happy this definition backs me up.
I guess the issue is what were the logistics, since none of us were around to use the technology in the way that it was done up until the mid-40s. I assumed that telegrams were sent by telegraph, but also thought that the telegram itself was a specific means of giving the information transmitted, so Western Union, for example, would deliver (for a fee) a telegram to the recipient of a telegraphed message. By the same token, one could transmit and presumably receive a telegraphed message directly without going through a company like Western Union - which is how I assumed a newspaper would receive it.

So while telegram would be a form of a subset with telegraph, it just seemed odd that someone would send a news story by telegram.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 11:13 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 am I must be eating too much smoked herring
That's crazy talk!
My problem is I thought Sinclair Lewis was monitoring the Cannery. Damn those fanciful 19th century names. I am my own negbait. Speaking of bait, it's time for lunch!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Man...whoever predicted the Teachers Tournament selections to be "all women" based upon this set of matchups were dead WRONG.

This situation once reminded me of Michael Philpy's scenario. He was in the red going into DJ!, then came really strong to win. Only difference was...David got himself in the red after the break. Michael pretty much was in the red all throughout the first round.

Ty: $8,800 + $8,000 = $16,800
Michael: -$800 + $18,300(!) = $17,500
Maggie: $5,000 + $4,600 = $9,600

Here, in the Teachers Tournament:

Gail: $1,800 + $10,800 = $12,600
Sara: $8,000 + $5,200 = $13,200
David: -$400 + $18,000(!) = $17,600

I can't recall when was the last time we've seen a large deficit like this in Jeopardy! where it was a "come-from-behind" win.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TomFromMD wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 7:27 pm "Macadam" and "Heisenberg" struck me as obscure for $200 even if I got both.
Agreed on Macadam. Heisenberg seemed right to me.

Interestingly, the words macadam and macadamia both are named after Scotsmen named John MacAdam, though the one the tree is named after lived most of his life in Australia and generally goes by Macadam, and the other is more commonly listed as John McAdam.
I got a kick out of how David pronounced "macadam" for the clue, just like "macadamia" without the -ia, just like the TOM suggested. He was obviously unfamiliar with "macadam" and was ruled correct because it's a cromulent pronunciation. That took guts! I salute you, fellow David!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

That's crazy talk!
Penguins smoke their herring? I thought they preferred it raw.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TomFromMD wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 8:52 am
Interestingly, the words macadam and macadamia both are named after Scotsmen named John MacAdam, though the one the tree is named after lived most of his life in Australia and generally goes by Macadam, and the other is more commonly listed as John McAdam.
... and to continue the "interestingly,..." paradigm, the John L. McAdam "macadam" road surface was improved upon with tar to reduce dust and improve longevity, giving rise to a pavement called "tarmacadam," a forerunner of today's street asphalt (which no longer uses tar, but other oil refining leftovers). To this day, airport ramps and aprons are often called "the tarmac," a nickname derived from the old tarmacadam.

That little nugget came from an instructor pilot around 1974 when I briefly took flying lessons. Amazed that it popped into my head while reading Tom's post. I didn't remember any of them, but found 13 references to tarmac and tarmacadam in the archive. Might be useful again in the future.

http://j-archive.com/search.php?search= ... mit=Search
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 6:45 pm
That's crazy talk!
Penguins smoke their herring? I thought they preferred it raw.
Opus has sure been smoking something!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

In other uses of the telegraph, telegraphy was used to control the signals of every US railroad well into the 1960's, and was last used on a small segment of a class I railroad in 1998. I'm not sure if any class II or class III had any of their signals controlled by telegraphy longer than that.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I did not know about this until now, but Sara from this episode and the May 9, 2017 quarterfinal game of this Teachers Tournament died last Friday, March 26 of natural causes. Here is her obituary, which mentions her Jeopardy! appearance: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/green ... fhid=14148