LL BWA Entries

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL BWA Entries

Post by gnash »

LL81 MD23 Q6 wrote:The origin for the term for what artistic movement, represented by the works of Robert Rauschenberg, Richard Hamilton, Jasper Johns, Eduardo Paolozzi, and others, is credited separately to British artist John McHale, and critic Lawrence Alloway, both members of what was known as the Independent Group?
FLAG ELLATION
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

As always, none of my attempts made the list, but, unlike the previous season, this time none of the entries I voted for made the top five. Obviously, my sense of humor is different not only from Thorsten's, but also from the typical LLama's. Of the five top BWAs, I only find Wu Tang Clan funny.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:09 pm As always, none of my attempts made the list, but, unlike the previous season, this time none of the entries I voted for made the top five. Obviously, my sense of humor is different not only from Thorsten's, but also from the typical LLama's. Of the five top BWAs, I only find Wu Tang Clan funny.
Yup. Not even a remote smirk from me on any of the 5 'winners'. And I had to look up the Lisa one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yeah, Wu Tang was the only one of the winners I voted for. But I’ve long since realized that my anglophilic sense of humor doesn’t comport well with the standard American version.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mrs. Dash was my favorite. At least it made the list.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

First published in 1975, the memoir collection by Primo Levi that consists of 21 stories, each named after (and inspired by) a chemical element, is fittingly titled what?
Periodic Stories to Tell in the Dark
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

LL82 MD15 Q6 wrote:What comedy musical, which premiered on Broadway in 1962 with Zero Mostel in the leading role and was revived in 1996 with Nathan Lane, is based on the farcical plays of Titus Maccius Plautus (254 BCE–184 BCE)?
BACCHANAL LIVE!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Wait a minute. Isn't that "A Funny Thing Happened On the Way To the Forum"?

Maybe I'm missing the joke.

Edit. Yes, I was (missing the joke). Sorry 'bout that. I call it "Panacea does Broadway" cuz that was my first musical, ,I played Panacea, and of course, the ancient world revolves around me...
Pending...
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Sergeant is the third and final word in the title of a 1958 British film that launched a series that ended with its 31st movie in 1992. What was the name of this franchise, and the first two words in that 1958 film (and every installment thereafter)?

Tyler Perry’s
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:17 pm Sergeant is the third and final word in the title of a 1958 British film that launched a series that ended with its 31st movie in 1992. What was the name of this franchise, and the first two words in that 1958 film (and every installment thereafter)?

Tyler Perry’s
I submitted the same, bummer
Volante

Post by Volante »

Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, St. Kilda, and Carlton are all professional teams with very long histories in a sport best known internationally by a three-word name. What is that name?
Pick up sticks

*Not actually submitted; I originally had Australian Rules Football...then changed it to Gaelic Rules Football (which apparently doesn't have 'rules' in the name) thanks to a Deadspin article and the "very long" part of the clue. Apparently 120 years counts as 'very long'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 am
Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, St. Kilda, and Carlton are all professional teams with very long histories in a sport best known internationally by a three-word name. What is that name?
Pick up sticks

*Not actually submitted; I originally had Australian Rules Football...then changed it to Gaelic Rules Football (which apparently doesn't have 'rules' in the name) thanks to a Deadspin article and the "very long" part of the clue. Apparently 120 years counts as 'very long'
in organized sports, 120 years is very long.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Vermonter wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:27 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:17 pm Sergeant is the third and final word in the title of a 1958 British film that launched a series that ended with its 31st movie in 1992. What was the name of this franchise, and the first two words in that 1958 film (and every installment thereafter)?

Tyler Perry’s
And it got nominated: https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa

Some good ones in there for a change. Particularly liked Bottles of beer on the wall and unfriend.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think it's funny that Amelia Bedelia made it for two different questions. :D

I think this one is my fave:
Q: According to the lyrics of a popular rock song released in 1995, despite all of his rage, Billy Corgan was still just a what?
A: A BILL SITTIN’ HERE ON CAPITOL HILL
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Tyler Perry’s

Some good ones in there for a change. Particularly liked Bottles of beer on the wall and unfriend.
Thanks for pointing out Tyler Perry. I voted when the list only went through Day 10, but I updated. I still think "yeeting" is hilarious, but there are stronger choices.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Tyler Perry’s

Sweet — I recall one multi-way entry from a few seasons ago, but other than that, thought they were mostly one-offs
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Vermonter wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Tyler Perry’s

Sweet — I recall one multi-way entry from a few seasons ago, but other than that, thought they were mostly one-offs
Here's hoping we win...it would be my 2nd, and I'd be happy to share the trophy with a friend.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm going with Tyler Perry/Unfriend/Emergency Dentists in that order.

I continue to be amazed by how small the intersection is between my sense of humor and Thorsten's. I think I didn't even get more than half of them.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:39 pm I think it's funny that Amelia Bedelia made it for two different questions. :D
And not for the first time. The only thing I can figure out about Thorsten's sense of humor is that he'll laugh if you give the answer "Amelia Bedelia" to just about any question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:01 am I'm going with Tyler Perry/Unfriend/Emergency Dentists in that order.
Solid choices. I'm a fan of $0.50 for the rapper because I'm not even sure it was really meant as a joke. Those are the best kind. :D