What is wrong with Ken Jennings?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

What is wrong with Ken Jennings?

Post by PeteMoss »

I see that Ken Jennings is posting some weird stuff on his verified twitter account today 5/31/17.

"Barron Trump saw a very long necktie on a heap of expired deli meat in a dumpster. He thought it was his dad & his little heart is breaking"
Picking on 11 year old boy?

"I'm concerned some of u may not have bought my new book for the dinosaur lovers in ur life."
Wants parents to buy his book?

"When Kathy Griffin was on Hollywood Squares in the 1990s, she would hold up bloody severed heads all the time. It was 90% of her act."

Did someone steal his account or is he always this way?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: What is wrong with Ken Jennings?

Post by morbeedo »

PeteMoss wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pmA. Did someone steal his account? or B. Is he always this way?
B.
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

This wasn't the first time something weird Ken Jennings had in his Twitter. He actually posted an awful "Wheelchair" twitter joke three years ago, according to the Huffington Post. Whoever hacked into his account is pretty much is ruining the life of a famous Jeopardy! player. That's about as low as you can GET! Controversy has been the story with these famed champs, and yet, if Ken continues doing those kind of comments, a lot of fans are gonna leave him.

What do you guys think? Ken Jennings couldn't be this satanic...could he?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

He's probably violating one of the unwritten rules of Jeopardy with this.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

PeteMoss wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm I see that Ken Jennings is posting some weird stuff on his verified twitter account today 5/31/17.

"Barron Trump saw a very long necktie on a heap of expired deli meat in a dumpster. He thought it was his dad & his little heart is breaking"

"I'm concerned some of u may not have bought my new book for the dinosaur lovers in ur life."

"When Kathy Griffin was on Hollywood Squares in the 1990s, she would hold up bloody severed heads all the time. It was 90% of her act."

The book one is a pinned tweet, it's not from today. It's a single promotional tweet about his book that he's pinned. Totally normal.

The Kathy Griffin thing is a reference to this recent news http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/entertain ... r-shields/ so in context in makes sense.

The Barron Trump one is a riff on this tweet https://twitter.com/Liz_Wheeler/status/ ... 1102082050 as he explained here https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 5415863296 I don't read this as picking on an 11 year old boy, but rather interpret it as joking that (President) Trump is hard to distinguish from a bunch of expired meat in a dumpster. But I agree that it didn't land very well. I don't think this is meant to be mean-spirited towards Barron Trump so I'm not particularly bothered; not every joke can be a winner.
MTGcollegestudent

harrumph wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:41 pm He's probably violating one of the unwritten rules of Jeopardy with this.
And what do you suppose that rule is?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm
harrumph wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:41 pm He's probably violating one of the unwritten rules of Jeopardy with this.
It's unwritten, we don't know for sure.
MTGcollegestudent

harrumph wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:46 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:43 pm
It's unwritten, we don't know for sure.
Jeopardy has so many random rules, but ever since the "Only one winner" rule was implemented, it started to really change tie-game situations completely. Now there is never a chance we'll see a tie-game EVER again.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

rpg wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:41 pm
PeteMoss wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm I see that Ken Jennings is posting some weird stuff on his verified twitter account today 5/31/17.

The book one is a pinned tweet, it's not from today. It's a single promotional tweet about his book that he's pinned. Totally normal.

The Kathy Griffin thing is a reference to this recent news http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/entertain ... r-shields/ so in context in makes sense.

The Barron Trump one is a riff on this tweet https://twitter.com/Liz_Wheeler/status/ ... 1102082050 as he explained here https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 5415863296 I don't read this as picking on an 11 year old boy, but rather interpret it as joking that (President) Trump is hard to distinguish from a bunch of expired meat in a dumpster. But I agree that it didn't land very well. I don't think this is meant to be mean-spirited towards Barron Trump so I'm not particularly bothered; not every joke can be a winner.
This isn't my first rodeo. I know what he is referring to in most of his posts.

In light of the Griffin meltdown, I don't think it is appropriate "joke".
Not all joke can be winners. But this is a sad and stupid joke.
I am mostly upset at myself thinking that he was an OK guy. I was wrong.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I am mystified as to how anyone can take the tweet as a shot as an 11 year old. It's clearly directed at Donnie himself. Crude but not aimed at a kid.

In any event, Ken has a sense of humor that's not for everyone. As of this moment it is not legally required that you follow him on Twitter.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

To answer OP:

Nothing is wrong with Ken Jennings.

Though I might surmise that the OP might be worried about being lumped in with the Trump Train on this one.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thinking the "expired deli meat" tweet is a jab at Barron Trump is like thinking this tweet was a jab at cancer patients.
igetcomputersputin

Post by igetcomputersputin »

The expired deli meat tweet is actually a jab at the obviously fake TMZ headline describing barron's supposedly traumatized reaction to the kathy griffin thing.

his tweet is an example of a similarly ridiculous and fake melodramatic headline.
I really mean it
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

zakharov wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 5:16 pm I am mystified as to how anyone can take the tweet as a shot as an 11 year old. It's clearly directed at Donnie himself. Crude but not aimed at a kid.

In any event, Ken has a sense of humor that's not for everyone. As of this moment it is not legally required that you follow him on Twitter.
I don't follow him but people who I do follow retweeted his inane posts.

All of you who are explaining his posts to me how about his post regarding "Nothing sadder than a hot person in a wheelchair."
Ken is the living example of weird and perverse!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm To answer OP:

Nothing is wrong with Ken Jennings.

Though I might surmise that the OP might be worried about being lumped in with the Trump Train on this one.
I'm not completely a Trump supporter, but the fact that people are standing up for Kathy Griffin is completely disgusting.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

We're in this strange transition stage where companies and celebrities are now expected to take a side in this inane red/blue conflict. They take crap from both extremes if they don't, so they figure they have nothing to lose.

(to which I mutter under my breath, "except your self-respect")
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Sure, mocking an 11 year-old kid for being upset that the most popular image in the world yesterday was a woman holding his father's bloody, severed head is bad, but at least it's not as vile as mocking the handicapped.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 4275441664

Oh, wait! Well, at least it's not as vile as being in favor of the occasional rape.

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 5426071553

Damn it...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Jennings has frequently been (redacted by moderator) on Twitter. Some fan suggested getting together for a meet & greet when Jennings was going to be in the same town & Jennings went off on him in a pretty nasty way. I don't use Twitter but I hear how stupid & nasty he is quite a bit.
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

I'm okay with his type of humor on Twitter. Besides, he's not doing this to please everybody because it's his Twitter account, so it's his choice and if you don't like it, don't even bother following him. Even I know his recent joke was towards the president and I still see him as a great man that I've idolized as a teenager.
Just a person who loves game shows.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

PeteMoss wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm I don't follow him but people who I do follow retweeted his inane posts.
Pretty sure if you block someone, you won't see their tweets even if they're retweeted by someone you follow.