May 31 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion (Central)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Doogie2K
Contributor

Re: May 31 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion (Central)

Post by Doogie2K »

I got 30 trying it offline. Not convinced I didn't subliminally remember "mitral valve" from trying to find the video on the thread but meh.

Definitely harder than last night's.

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Depending on what might or might not be acceptable alternate answers, I got between 39 and 41. Is just putting down Baikal for Lake Baikal okay, and what makes brandy different from wine, and can cognac be considered to be both?

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

36 off the video, 37 for real last night, so at least I don't have to be upset about choosing the "wrong" night. :lol:

OKlibrarian
Valued Contributor

Post by OKlibrarian »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:13 pm
Depending on what might or might not be acceptable alternate answers, I got between 39 and 41. Is just putting down Baikal for Lake Baikal okay, and what makes brandy different from wine, and can cognac be considered to be both?
Pretty sure Baikal is OK (that's what I put too, and I'm pretty sure "lake" was in the prompt), and Brandy is wine that was distilled and aged into a liquor, though I doubt they'd take "wine" as an answer since it's really seen as a spirit.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
The clue asked for a "spirit" (i.e., a distilled spirit). Brandy meets that description but wine doesn't. I think Baikal should be fine - the clue included the word "lake".

jltexan

Post by jltexan »

Minimum 35 for me. Got as far as F-E-R-D for Ferdinand Magellan :oops:

I was glad my husband likes cognac but wished he was in the room for a last-minute assist for 'Mike Trout'!

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

I felt good about that- I count 38 right.
Spoiler
Misses (from what I can remember): 11, 16, 20, 23, 24, 32, 37, 38, 40, 43, 44, 47 (said "genome sequence")

Lucky guesses: Monaco, Samson, brandy, Puccini

Wrong guesses: ventricle (mitral valve), The Parrot's Portrait (The Goldfinch), Kaa (Rikki Tikki Tavi), salami (bacon), Ugly Betty (Superstore; saw America Ferrera's name and couldn't think of anything else despite clue), books (stamps), genome sequence (sequencing). The rest I don't remember what I put in or I left them blank.

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

OKlibrarian wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Pretty sure Baikal is OK (that's what I put too, and I'm pretty sure "lake" was in the prompt), and Brandy is wine that was distilled and aged into a liquor, though I doubt they'd take "wine" as an answer since it's really seen as a spirit.
I guess I need to start studying potent potables.

VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

So darn, there's no company called "Pepsi!Co"?

MrMushnik
Wheel of Jeopardy!

Post by MrMushnik »

This was def one of the better tests for me. Yesterday (not real) I got ~30 playing with the transcript. Today I think I got 37. Up to the random draw now I guess!
Training for J! Follow me on Twitter if you want: https://twitter.com/IdLike2BuyAnOwl

TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

39 for me. Would have been 40, but I said "Allen Ailvey" instead of "Alvin Ailey". Oh so close! Oh well, it wasn't for real anyway. Also started to write Carrie and then changed to Firestarter.

igetcomputersputin

Post by igetcomputersputin »

The mitral valve question is a verbatim repeat from a question near the end of season 31 - i had been practicing from that time period, wouldn't have gotten it without that.

Definitely glad I took it yesterday. Pulled a 41 then compared with a 35 now.
I really mean it

Newhausen
Valued Contributor

Post by Newhausen »

33/50 for me, which is actually much better than I thought I did. There was a point about halfway through after I missed seven in a row where I was seriously reconsidering my life choices.

At least, for the most part, the ones I didn't know were ones I *really* didn't know - very few head-smackers when I read through the answers. Mitre for mitral valve was about the only one.

ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I'll be right at 35 if they accept my random guess of "goldfinches" for the novel. Considered Monaco, discarded it for no good reason, and put down Luxembourg instead, so I'm going to be kicking myself for that one. Also had "mitre," misreading the question / forgetting the category and not putting the correct answer. Didn't think it was Julius Caesar for the Shakespeare category, but put him anyway after thinking of Marc Antony and Brutus.

Can't remember what I started with on the DNA question, whether I started with "sequencing" or something else, but I know I ended up on "mapping." That wouldn't count, would it? If no, then I'm at 34-35. If yes, then I'm at 35-36. If I had gotten the 3 stupid mistakes right, those two questions would've become irrelevant in helping me get to 35.

Not a great test, but for some reason I'm always between 33-36, even when taking it off the posts / videos. I don't think I've ever gotten lower than 33 since the first time I ever tested, and I've gotten higher than 36 just once (the one time I got an audition offer, but couldn't make it, I got a 38). Last night, taking it from the online post, was at 33, so at least today I was a little higher. Hopefully I'll just squeak through....

Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

31 yesterday for real, 33 off the video today. Sigh. Just built a computer system this weekend and was talking to my son about why you don't have to hunt everywhere for drivers anymore and still blanked on a term that I actually used the other day. That and knowing Eliza Doolittle wasn't right but not being able to think of her teacher. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, IMO, is far and away the best novel of that era. Big sister Charlotte blocked its publication, however. Anne died even younger than her sisters.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Wasn't the lion fighter Daniel? I just guessed Netflix so I hope that was right.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

At least I'm consistent. 36 again. If I remember to take tomorrow night's, we'll see how that one goes.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 10:22 pm
I guess I need to start studying potent potables.
Highly recommnded as a course of indepedent study.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Setho wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 9:41 pm
I got somewhere in the range of 40 to 43 depending on allowances for spelling and missing letters.

What are peoples thoughts for pancetta vs. bacon as an answer on the carbonara question?
Pancetta is what's used in the official version of carbonara but I have no doubt that they were looking for bacon (what I said)

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

45/50 here.

Missed 19, 22, 32, 43, 47.

Tied my personal best. Really thought I was going to set a new personal best, but didn't end up with any lucky guesses as Bieber/Conde Nast/'Megamart'/mapping were all wrong.