Monday, June 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Monday, June 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

I was hoping Joe would wager big on his DD, being a second row clue in a narrowed down U.S. geography category.
The clue turned out to be an obscure factoid but it was still a 1 in 3 choice after West Virginia was eliminated. My first guess was Wisconsin but only because it popped into my head before Wyoming. I had to groan at Joe's guess of Washington.... noooooo

I came up with Nebraska before anyone rang in but only after a quick double think of the clue.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

French Rage wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 pm Great run Joe!

Random question, what was the large sound after Alex said Chantelle had the right answer on FJ?
I believe you're talking about Chantelle sighing - or maybe gasping! - with relief at her correct response, with her head down and directly into her mike.
Not an easy FJ for me - I said Orient Express. I might have gone with Darjeeling Express for a second choice - and that's a fictional railroad... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
clprez

Post by clprez »

Somehow, it never occurred to me that FJ! might be a railway.

The only thing I could come up with so that I wouldn't have a blank answer was the Silk Road. I just knew that was probably wrong, but when Chantalle answered with The Orient Express and Alex said that that was too far west, I then for a sec thought, "Well maybe". Oh well.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Congrats on a good run, Joe! You clearly had one of those days where every break goes against you. I agree with your thought process on the "W" state - once you get the Washington earworm, it's hard to re-boot.

I picked "Siberian Railroad" and decided that Amur looked more like Pakistan or India and changed to "Orient Express". I might or might not have remembered the "Trans" part of the Siberian Railroad, but it's a miss. Why couldn't they have picked a Russian sounding river name since this river seems to be pretty obscure.

Once I parsed the South Dakota clue, I didn't have time to consult my right brain for the map and picked Iowa.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $38,400
47 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: bossa nova, The Last of the Mohicans (DD), the Philippines, end run, Nebraska, Fort Ticonderoga, King George III, Ouisconsin (DD)

The TSR was one of my pre-calls. Unfortunately, I didn't come back to it until there were about two seconds left in the Think Music. I wish I had thought to abbreviate it, since I probably had just enough time to do that. I ended up getting murdered on the Orient Express.

Good run, Joe!
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'd like to think I would have gotten FJ anyway, but having read The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux within the last couple years certainly helped me. It's worth reading, by the way, even if it doesn't help you solve any Jeopardy! clues. :)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Trans Siberian Railway acceptable?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jpr281 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 am Trans Siberian Railway acceptable?
Unquestionably yes.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Ballpark (4), Need (3), Novels (2), Flipped (3), Done (2), Been (2)
"END" (2), Science (4), Revolutionary (4), Cherries (3), State (3), TV (3)

Lach Trash: Philippines, George III, Fort Ticonderoga, Howe, Cherokee

I got to "Trans-Siberian", but my big toss-up was "It is Trans-Siberian Railway or Trans-Siberian Highway?" Fortunately, I picked the correct one.
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

artshep wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm Had trouble with the wording of this clue:

CHERRY COUNTY, WHICH BORDERS SOUTH DAKOTA ON THE NORTH, IS THIS STATE'S LARGEST COUNTY, EXCEEDING CONNECTICUT IN AREA.

I read the clue as referring to South Dakota's northern border, not Cherry County's northern border. Are there any grammatical guidelines to determining what "on the North" is modifying in this sentence?

In context, I probably should have known by the value of the clue that they were not referring to the easy answer of North Dakota.
That's exactly what I thought as well. But you're right. North Dakota seemed ridiculously easy, and that should have tipped me off that it was wrong.
Last edited by jgroub on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:39 pm He so clearly left out the "and" that I was surprised they didn't neg him immediately.
Felt the same way. Clearly heard the missed and, and wondered why they let it pass.
Last edited by jgroub on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

DBear wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:39 pm I couldn't understand the wording of FJ, had no idea what they wanted
EXACTLY. Sometimes I find the wording of FJs so weird that I can't even figure out what they're looking for.
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

joenguyen90 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:46 pm Alas, I thought I had a good run. Chantelle definitely deserved to win this game, and I'm definitely grateful for the good luck I had in the first few games to keep playing. It is disappointing to miss out on ToC, but again, I was fortunate to even win the previous three games.

Thanks for reading! Hope that these posts have been interesting!

Joe Nguyen
Nice run, Joe! As a fellow three-game winner, though, doesn't it kill you a little to know that if you had just won the one more game, you would have had a nice shot at the ToC?

I tell ya, it kills me!!!

Okay, I kid, I kid, I definitely had the "I'm just happy to here", "we gotta play 'em one day at a time", "I just want to give it my best shot, and the good Lord willing, things will work out" attitude. Beyond just being on the show, winning was gravy.

But SOOOO CLOOOOOSE!!! :D
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:09 pm

I was so lost on the FJ! clue that I did not even figure out that train was the way to go. It did not matter as I know I would not have processed Amur River to Russia. I thought perhaps India area and not even making it a kind of transportation I wrote Ganges River.
I have to say the wording of this clue threw me as well. I was reading and re-reading the clue for perhaps 12-15 seconds of the 30. It did finally register, and fortunately the correct answer was forthcoming immediately as soon as I realized what they were going for. Which was fortunate, since after all that thinking time it took pretty much all the remaining time to write down "Trans-Siberian Railroad." Woof.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Nice win by Chantelle, but I'll say it: let's step it up a little! Her pausing before picking clues was driving me nuts.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am Nice win by Chantelle, but I'll say it: let's step it up a little! Her pausing before picking clues was driving me nuts.
Yes, nice win, especially in beating a strong champ and the nice sole get FJ. But it's gonna be hard for me to root for her after she pronounced the name of one of my favorite composers as (Richard) "Wahg-ner" instead of "Vahg-her." Really?

LT: wake, end run, Nebraska, (Ft.) Ticonderoga, and King George III.

Idle note, and not sure whether this is apocryphal:

A few years ago when the movie "The Madness of King George" came out, it was previewed in the U.S. for test audiences under the original title, "The Madness of George III." Among other comments by the audience was the frequent question, "What happened to the FIRST two movies in the series, "The Madness of George" and "The Madness of George II?" Supposedly that's what prompted them to change the title.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:17 am A few years ago when the movie "The Madness of King George" came out, it was previewed in the U.S. for test audiences under the original title, "The Madness of George III." Among other comments by the audience was the frequent question, "What happened to the FIRST two movies in the series, "The Madness of George" and "The Madness of George II?" Supposedly that's what prompted them to change the title.
Well, I guess "The Madness of King George" is better than "King George: Even Madder!"
earendel

Post by earendel »

I got FJ! without trouble, but I hope that on the show I wouldn't have written down "Trans Siberian Orchestra".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

artshep wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm Had trouble with the wording of this clue:

CHERRY COUNTY, WHICH BORDERS SOUTH DAKOTA ON THE NORTH, IS THIS STATE'S LARGEST COUNTY, EXCEEDING CONNECTICUT IN AREA.

I read the clue as referring to South Dakota's northern border, not Cherry County's northern border. Are there any grammatical guidelines to determining what "on the North" is modifying in this sentence?

In context, I probably should have known by the value of the clue that they were not referring to the easy answer of North Dakota.

Clue could have been worded:

This US State's largest county is Cherry County, whose northern border is with South Dakota.

However, I knew this one cold based on the wording.

No guess on FJ, as I've never heard of the river mentioned.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

flutist319 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:10 pm I'm curious about what would happen if you gave a bunch of random naive English speakers (i.e., people who didn't watch this episode) the question "True or false: Canada borders the US on the north" and then "True or false: the US borders Canada on the north" (or vice versa). I suspect I'd be inclined to say "true" to either one in isolation, though the first sounds more natural to me as a way of expressing "Canada is on the US's northern border" than the second (the opposite of the question writers' interpretation).
If asked either or both of those questions, I'd answer "true" as British Columbia borders Alaska and Washington to the North and to the South respectively ;)
I would prefer not to.