Tuesday, June 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

acthomas wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:05 pm I'm trying to get back into brewing, which is why I'm still confused by this clue and the associated callback:

"The goodness of barley includes being the source of this partly fermented product used in the brewing of beer"
Spoiler
The judges wanted "malt" and Tracy's answer of "wort" was accepted. (I was also thinking "mash".) But to my knowledge, neither has partial fermentation, because yeast isn't pitched until after wort.
Am I wrong about the "partly fermented" issue in either case?
You don't need spoiler tags for this. I agree with your assessment. Neither malt nor wort are partly fermented. If they were specifically looking for "malt" they probably should have phrased it using the word "fermentable" although I suppose that wouldn't exclude wort as an acceptable answer. I also said wort, by the way, so I was happy about the reversal.

My guess on FJ was Ed Wood. It didn't seem very likely that Wood would have won any Oscars, honorary or otherwise, but at least the movie came out around then, so I figured it was better than nothing.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,600
48 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: New Orleans (DD), Gertrude Stein, wild oats, Davis Cup, Condoleezza Rice, Mayans, Tom Sawyer

Good ol' Madeleine Albright, growing up in Birmingham, Czechoslovakia. :lol:

Frida Kahlo, with a self-portrait, for $1,000? C'mon, TPTB.

I totally forgot about Chaplin. Went with John Wayne just to have something. One of these days I need to memorize the major Oscar winners and nominees.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never thought of Chaplin. WAGged Hitchcock just to say something.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Giannid wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:47 pm
goatman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:52 pm was "also ran" a TS? didn't note it
Chantelle answered it correctly, I believe.
Somebody did as I remembered giving the answer at pretty much the exact same instant as a contestant.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I thought of Chaplin on the last notes of the think music.

Chantelle, if you're lurking here, congratulations!
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I went with Hitchcock but the year was wrong. First miss in a bit. The middle contestant started out strong but then did little in DJ. It's nice to see Chantelle repeat as champ!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew Downey had played him in the biopic, didn't realize it was that old, but still got it right.
tagNV
Member of Our Studio Audience

Post by tagNV »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 pm
tagNV wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 am I'm pretty sure Tracy Bacon was in my J! audition in Phoenix in January. But you can decide for yourself (I'm the guy behind her in the blue shirt and gray hair).

Congratulations, Tracy!
Looks like her to me. Were you expecting her to be on the show?
Actually, I wasn't (especially as they recently aired the Teachers Tournament). Don't get me wrong, she was fine at the audition...but so was almost everyone else. And other folk had more interesting/memorable stories. J! has no shortage of worthy contestants to choose from, and I'm really glad I don't have to make those decisions.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:33 am I knew Downey had played him in the biopic, didn't realize it was that old, but still got it right.
Ditto. Total credit for 'also ran' to you. I would have never gotten it otherwise.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

tagNV wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 am
doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 pm
tagNV wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:39 am I'm pretty sure Tracy Bacon was in my J! audition in Phoenix in January. But you can decide for yourself (I'm the guy behind her in the blue shirt and gray hair).

Congratulations, Tracy!
Looks like her to me. Were you expecting her to be on the show?
Actually, I wasn't (especially as they recently aired the Teachers Tournament). Don't get me wrong, she was fine at the audition...but so was almost everyone else. And other folk had more interesting/memorable stories. J! has no shortage of worthy contestants to choose from, and I'm really glad I don't have to make those decisions.
Thanks and very nicely put.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:34 pm My guess on FJ was Ed Wood. It didn't seem very likely that Wood would have won any Oscars, honorary or otherwise, but at least the movie came out around then, so I figured it was better than nothing.
Yeah, this was an FJ where if the right response doesn't occur to you, it's difficult to come up with a plausible guess. I think you got about as close as you could get. I'm not sure what other movie from ~1991 one could pick.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For reference, here's the barley clue again:

THE GOODNESS OF BARLEY INCLUDES BEING THE SOURCE OF THIS PARTLY FERMENTED PRODUCT USED IN THE BREWING OF BEER

So malt and wort were both acceptable. What about my guess of mash?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:24 am For reference, here's the barley clue again:

THE GOODNESS OF BARLEY INCLUDES BEING THE SOURCE OF THIS PARTLY FERMENTED PRODUCT USED IN THE BREWING OF BEER

I'm pretty sure they'd have to take mash, too. It's just another step in the brewing process.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:11 pm
All but "aldeberran" in "Al".
Not a fan of Star Trek, eh?
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:26 pm WLT corn at $200?
I thought it was an amaizing clue.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 pm Anybody else hear somebody's watch alarm going off during the interview with Tracy? I'm betting it was Alex's.
This digital beeping/watch alarm sound has been appearing on the show sporadically for at least the last few months. I've mostly noticed it during the interview segments but it has shown up during play as well. It seems to only occur once during an episode in which it appears and lasts for only a few seconds.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:34 pm My guess on FJ was Ed Wood. It didn't seem very likely that Wood would have won any Oscars, honorary or otherwise, but at least the movie came out around then, so I figured it was better than nothing.
As I read the clue I first thought of Bela Lugosi and Martin Landau until I got to 1992 (Ed Wood came out in '94) and remembered Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for Chaplin that year.

Lach Trash: Davis Cup, wild oats, Condoleezza Rice, Tom Sawyer, Bright Lights, Big City, Gertrude Stein, New Orleans
Last edited by Bartleby on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would prefer not to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:46 pm Good ol' Madeleine Albright, growing up in Birmingham, Czechoslovakia. :lol:
Her family moved to the U.S. when she was still a child, though, right? I don't think it was a horrible guess.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:24 am For reference, here's the barley clue again:

I wouldn't think so. Mashing is process of soaking the malt and I don't think the mash would be a "product". Wort (beer before the addition of yeast) is the product of the mash, so I guess this is why it was accepted. As a home brewer, this clue was poorly worded and I didn't guess either malt or wort as neither of them are fermented and couldn't come up with anything that was partially fermented. The process of malting barley involves sprouting and drying it, and fermentation requires yeast; wort is literally sugar water which is produced by soaking the malt, again no fermentation.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:35 pm

I wouldn't think so. Mashing is process of soaking the malt and I don't think the mash would be a "product". Wort (beer before the addition of yeast) is the product of the mash, so I guess this is why it was accepted.
I think "mash" as a noun would be the product of "mashing." The mash becomes wort after boiling and addition of hops or other adjuncts.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:34 pm
My guess on FJ was Ed Wood. It didn't seem very likely that Wood would have won any Oscars, honorary or otherwise, but at least the movie came out around then, so I figured it was better than nothing.
Our minds were running in the same direction. I didn't think Depp had been nominated for the film, but I knew Martin Landau had been. I couldn't remember if he'd won or when the movie came out. Turns out it was 1994 and he did win. But, it was my best guess at the time so I had to go with Bela Legosi as time was running out, not knowing if Legosi had ever been awarded an honorary.

So much for guessing. Would have taken at least several minutes of thought to get to Chaplin, if I ever did.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

All this talk about malt and wort and mash miss the easy explanation. It was a typo:

"The goodness of barley includes being the source of this partly germinated product used in the brewing of beer."