Wednesday, June 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Re: Wednesday, June 7, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TomFromMD »

It would have been pretty odd to see Bala win with $400 if he had gotten it wrong, and the others would have been kicking themselves all the way home. It was pretty odd that nobody just said Woolery. It absolutely should have fit the clue, since it doesn't change the rhyme, and there's no other famous Woolery. Worst case, they ask you to be more specific, and then you guess the first name.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

skullturf wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm I had a vague idea that England conquering Wales (and/or Scotland) might have been around the 1300s, and also that the first few Edwards were around the 1300s. (I also had a vague idea that the last Welsh person to have the name "Prince of Wales" might have been around the 1300s.)

I also considered the names Richard and Henry. I knew that John didn't have a number, which helped steer me away from him even though one might normally go from "legal reforms" to the Magna Carta. I really don't know much about English monarchs before Henry VIII beyond an extremely vague idea of which names occurred when.

I was lucky that superficial knowledge happened to lead me in the right direction.
I had zero idea when "subdued Wales" took place, and likewise zero on who brought about the "reforms" mentioned in the clue. So I was left with "pick a monarch who was the first to bear his name." I honestly don't know how anyone gets this without either a truly lucky guess or he's a historian. James does not seem to have been the right answer.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

...on the other hand, LT on sinister, Tallinn (really, guys?), and Chuck Woolery.

And I couldn't believe how easy the last DD was. What element is abbreviated C?

And I was really baffled by FJ wagering. Seems to me Chantelle's only hope was for Bala to neg, so all she had to do was cover Phyllis, and she bet way too much for that. Meanwhile Bala, instead of going for the $1 lockout, left open the possibility of a tie. Oooookayy...
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

TomFromMD wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:50 am It would have been pretty odd to see Bala win with $400 if he had gotten it wrong, and the others would have been kicking themselves all the way home. It was pretty odd that nobody just said Woolery. It absolutely should have fit the clue, since it doesn't change the rhyme, and there's no other famous Woolery. Worst case, they ask you to be more specific, and then you guess the first name.
Do they have any house minimum for the winner of the game?

Do the song lyrics give the full name Chuck Wollery? I'd base the decision on that.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

Wheatley wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 am Do they have any house minimum for the winner of the game?

Do the song lyrics give the full name Chuck Wollery? I'd base the decision on that.
My understanding is no, but you get to play the next day. There was a once guy who won first with $1 - but he got a lot more the next day. Presumably if you got $1 and then 3rd place the next day, you'd go home with $1001, less than getting 2nd.

Why? Wollery alone would rhyme. Here they are though:
Ton thumb tom cushman or tom foolery
Date women on t.v. with the help of chuck woolery
Does Wollery rhyme with tom foolery? Pulling up a definition of rhyme, I got:
VERB
1.(of a word, syllable, or line) have or end with a sound that corresponds to another: "balloon rhymes with moon"
So yeah. Woolery alone fits both the question, and the standard for giving a name in Jeopardy. Incidentally, tom foolery is more commonly spelled tomfoolery. I don't recall which was shown.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:48 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 pm Wilmette is a wealthy suburb of Chicago, it's a Pavlov for anyone originally from the Midwest.
I'm with TPH on that one. I've never heard of that place before today and it certainly didn't help that we didn't get a spelling. I would say that was a seriously undervalued clue.
I've heard of Wilmette, but for some reason took it as a mispronunciation of Willamette and jumped to Oregon. Having the spelling probably would have prevented that errant leap on my part.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

clt013 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 am
DBear wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:20 pm Wilmette is a wealthy suburb of Chicago, it's a Pavlov for anyone originally from the Midwest.
I'm with TPH on that one. I've never heard of that place before today and it certainly didn't help that we didn't get a spelling. I would say that was a seriously undervalued clue.
I've heard of Wilmette, but for some reason took it as a mispronunciation of Willamette and jumped to Oregon. Having the spelling probably would have prevented that errant leap on my part.
I also thought Oregon right away, but wouldn't have with the spelling. I've heard of Wilmette IL, but didn't put it together until afterwards.

I'll never understand why people in Phyllis' position bet it all or nearly. What for? You are hoping for is a TS, or sole solve by you, and betting all your money for either scenario is almost useless. How would she have felt if Bala had missed....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am
skullturf wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:27 pm I had a vague idea that England conquering Wales (and/or Scotland) might have been around the 1300s, and also that the first few Edwards were around the 1300s. (I also had a vague idea that the last Welsh person to have the name "Prince of Wales" might have been around the 1300s.)

I also considered the names Richard and Henry. I knew that John didn't have a number, which helped steer me away from him even though one might normally go from "legal reforms" to the Magna Carta. I really don't know much about English monarchs before Henry VIII beyond an extremely vague idea of which names occurred when.

I was lucky that superficial knowledge happened to lead me in the right direction.
I had zero idea when "subdued Wales" took place, and likewise zero on who brought about the "reforms" mentioned in the clue. So I was left with "pick a monarch who was the first to bear his name." I honestly don't know how anyone gets this without either a truly lucky guess or he's a historian. James does not seem to have been the right answer.
I pretty much was left with "guess a king who was a I". I also didn't know when they subdued Wales, but I assumed it was long before the time of James I. So that eliminates James, Charles and George. I also figured it wasn't William, since he is not known as William the Subduer.

John and Steve didn't have numbers. So I'm down to Henry, Richard and Edward and no real reason to pick one over the other besides having to put something down. So I picked Henry.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 pm I knew that there was only one John, but I feel like I have seen kings of only one name sometimes have a "I" after their name. But I could just be remembering wrong.
King Juan Carlos I is an example.
You don't always need a second to have a number one. My wife has introduced me for decades as "her first husband." That's when I haven't ticked her off. When I have, I'm "her current husband."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 am
econgator wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:55 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:35 pm I knew that there was only one John, but I feel like I have seen kings of only one name sometimes have a "I" after their name. But I could just be remembering wrong.
King Juan Carlos I is an example.
As is Pope John Paul I, who I believe used the I during his (very short) reign.
I'm pretty sure JP1 was just known as Pope John Paul during his brief reign (as is Francis today) until JP2 succeeded him.

"Woollery" would've been accepted, as it fits the clue and there are no other famous people with that surname, unlike say Roosevelt or Hepburn.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

"Bearing Roman numeral I"

I wonder how many people picked up on the implication that this implied a king who has NOT been the only one with that regnal name? That bit went right over my head. I said John.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 am I had zero idea when "subdued Wales" took place, and likewise zero on who brought about the "reforms" mentioned in the clue. So I was left with "pick a monarch who was the first to bear his name." I honestly don't know how anyone gets this without either a truly lucky guess or he's a historian. James does not seem to have been the right answer.
This really wasn't a very difficult FJ, although it does require some basic - and maybe a bit more than basic - knowledge of the British monarchy. Given how frequently they go to that well, it seems like it would be a good category to study.

And while it's a subject that covers about 1000 years, it's not as daunting a task to become familiar with as it may seem. First, "pop culture" (defined broadly) covers a fair amount of it - from William the Conqueror, Henry II ("The Lion in Winter," e.g.), Richard I/John (any number of Robin Hood movies), Richard III (his remains were in the news recently), Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, George III, Victoria - and then all of them in the 20th century. Being familiar with Shakespeare's historical plays gets you a two-fer. That doesn't leave much to have to memorize and the barest facts would probably be sufficient. There was a lot of info packed into this particular clue - I didn't know that Edward was the "English Justinian" but the reference to Wales cinched it - so they at least gave a couple avenues to get to the right response.

And really, it's a lot less complicated than trying to keep up with current musical groups, for example. :shock:
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 am
I grew up in Michigan and I've been to Chicago many, many times but the name "Wilmette" was only vaguely familiar. I thought Illinois, but I'm not sure I would have rung in on that one.
I got it easily, because I've been to the temple. A lot of people who live in Chicago don't even know about it, but it's beautiful. My favorite thing about it are the beautiful lawns that are around with little signs saying something to the effect of "Feel free to walk on the grass." Could definitely just lay out there and relax for a while on a nice day.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 pm I'm pretty sure JP1 was just known as Pope John Paul during his brief reign (as is Francis today) until JP2 succeeded him.
He definitely called himself "the First".

https://johnpauli.wordpress.com/2014/08 ... pam-day-1/
and
http://w2.vatican.va/content/john-paul- ... raphy.html

"During the second day of the conclave, elected Supreme Pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church, choosing the name John Paul I."
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:41 pm
dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 am As is Pope John Paul I, who I believe used the I during his (very short) reign.
I'm pretty sure JP1 was just known as Pope John Paul during his brief reign (as is Francis today) until JP2 succeeded him.
No, unlike Francis, John Paul called himself "the first" even before he died. For example, this cover of Time magazine:

Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:51 pm And while it's a subject that covers about 1000 years, it's not as daunting a task to become familiar with as it may seem. First, "pop culture" (defined broadly) covers a fair amount of it - from William the Conqueror, Henry II ("The Lion in Winter," e.g.), Richard I/John (any number of Robin Hood movies), Richard III (his remains were in the news recently), Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, George III, Victoria - and then all of them in the 20th century. Being familiar with Shakespeare's historical plays gets you a two-fer. That doesn't leave much to have to memorize and the barest facts would probably be sufficient. There was a lot of info packed into this particular clue - I didn't know that Edward was the "English Justinian" but the reference to Wales cinched it - so they at least gave a couple avenues to get to the right response.

And really, it's a lot less complicated than trying to keep up with current musical groups, for example. :shock:
That's good advice on familiarizing one's self with Shakespeare's historical plays as the bard and British royalty are two topics the J! writers love, esp. for FJ.

Arthur was the subject of both the film "Monty Python And The Holy Grail" and the musicals "Camelot" and "Spamalot." Edward VIII is known more for his scandalous marriage to Wallace Simpson & subsequent abdication than for anything he did as king, so I think that qualifies him under 20th-century pop culture.
Mathew5000 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:06 pm No, unlike Francis, John Paul called himself "the first" even before he died. For example, this cover of Time magazine:
Interesting. I always remembered him as just John Paul during his 20-minute reign. Apparently he thought so much of the name, he was certain a subsequent pontiff would adopt it.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

They often show the Baha'i Temple in Wilmette on TV as a commercial break bumper shot during Northwestern University home football games because it's the biggest nearby structure that the press box cameras at Ryan Field, shooting east toward the lake, can easily get a shot of.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,000
46 R/0 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: sinister, Tallinn, Whitney Houston, Chuck Woolery

Last week was my first chance in quite some time to check the Box of Glory on the weekly poll. This week it might be the Box of Shame. I went with James I.
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:32 pm "C" and "after boron" as a DD? I don't care what box it was in, you've got to be %!@#ing kidding me, J! writers.
I fell off my chair when I saw the clue. At $800, I might have gone TDD to end the game there and then, and would have burst out laughing at the reveal. A real head scratcher.

To be fair, most people probably have never heard of Tallinn, but I agree that Jeopardy contestants have ample time to learn world capitals before they tape. So shame on them ;)

FJ - Ya know, I knew John was wrong and figured it was Edward, but scribbled down John for some reason. So no dice.