Thursday, June 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 8, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Wheatley »

I think the "Wood Words" clues should have been flipped - I got the bottom three but was stumped (hey, that's another one!) on the top two

Lach trash: Poles, The Path, and the aforementioned spruce-up
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jfc
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I had absolutely no idea on FJ. Schindler was the only name that came to mind, but I knew it was wrong; that Schindler died decades ago.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

It took me about 25 of the 30 seconds to remember the guys name, but I knew exactly who they were talking about, that Swedish guy whose name doesn't sound Swedish.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Who in the F was the subject of that FJ? Never heard of him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:15 pm Who in the F was the subject of that FJ? Never heard of him.
The RW refresher course:
Spoiler
#7013, aired 2015-02-25 GOVERNMENT AWARDS & HONORS $800: Raoul Wallenberg & the Marquis de Lafayette are among the few to be made honorary these
#6616, aired 2013-05-27 ON POSTAGE STAMPS $1600: This Swedish diplomat who helped save tens of thousands of Jews during WWII was featured on a 1983 Israeli stamp
#5424, aired 2008-03-20 HONORARY U.S. CITIZENSHIP $1000: This Swedish diplomat got honorary citizenship for saving Hungarian Jews during WWII
#5140, aired 2007-01-05 THEY RODE THE ORIENT EXPRESS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew delivers the clue from the Orient Express.) In 1944, using U.S. funds, this Swede banker rode the Orient Express on a mission of mercy to buy fake papers that helped save Hungary's Jews
#4455, aired 2004-01-09 AH, SWEDE MYSTERY $2000: The post-WWII fate of this diplomat & humanitarian, seen here, is not known for certain
#4090, aired 2002-05-17 CAPITAL CITY BIRTHPLACES $2000: Raoul Wallenberg
#3018, aired 1997-10-15 AWARDS $800: This Swede who saved thousands of Hungarian Jews was made an honorary U.S. citizen in 1981
#739, aired 1987-11-19 POTPOURRI $600: Guinness says the greatest number of people saved by one man from death were saved by him in 1944-45

Final Jeopardy! Round clues (1 result returned)

#6694, aired 2013-10-24 ART IN THE U.S. CAPITOL: Members of the Hungarian, Swedish & Israeli parliaments spoke when a bust of this foreign diplomat was unveiled
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

If you haven't heard of Wallenberg, that's on you. I almost threw the remote at the tv after that FJ wager but if she doesn't give a crap, why should I? It seems like contestant co-ordinators should try to get competitive contestants up there. As noted previously, there were lots of TSs & wrong answers. Hard to watch.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:34 pm Heard him say ServiceS in real time (with Alex talking over him), but I thought they were going to let it slide. Oh well. Also: Dunkirk should never be missed on this show.
Ah. I was wondering about that. I didn't notice what he said, but the way Alex made the correction, Alex made it sound like he pluralized park instead of service, which would seem overly picky when it's pronounced almost identically either way: is there any real distinction in pronouncing "park service" versus "parks service"? But yeah, negging for pluralizing service makes more sense.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:52 pm
I know there is another boardie who got the FJ! clue right: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... rg#p232169
Indeed I did; he was one of my precalls. Here's some additional info about Wallenberg's fate from the NY Times.

I said "woohoo" when Sarah's response was revealed, then "noooooo" when her wager was. :o From 2nd place, you can't bet just to stay ahead of 3rd doubling up if that bet's not enough to overtake what 1st would drop to if they bet to lock you out but miss FJ.
davey mcdaveface

Post by davey mcdaveface »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 pm Sarah was on the wrong end of a Crush scenario. If you're playing to win the game, there's only one correct bet in that position -- go all in. The utter innumeracy of otherwise-intelligent players never ceases to amaze me. --Bob
Exactly. I love Jeopardy! but I can't believe how many illogical FJ wagers there are. Makes me want to scream. :o
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Oh, how I wish that Oscar Niemeyer* clue had been FJ instead of that one. At least there's a small chance I won't be the only one going from 5/5 last week to 0/5 (my first one!) this week if I miss tonight's.

My one pre-call was Hacksaw Ridge, hoping they'd ask for the movie and not the subject.

* I did have to look up the spelling for this post. Mine would have been... close enough for Jeopardy! purposes.
BobF

Post by BobF »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 am Oh, how I wish that Oscar Niemeyer* clue had been FJ instead of that one. At least there's a small chance I won't be the only one going from 5/5 last week to 0/5 (my first one!) this week if I miss tonight's.

My one pre-call was Hacksaw Ridge, hoping they'd ask for the movie and not the subject.

* I did have to look up the spelling for this post. Mine would have been... close enough for Jeopardy! purposes.
You'll have company if you and I both miss. Shame I couldn't pick up Wallenberg, I've been on the street named after him in DC, but that was years ago.

Ditto on what the others said about the stupid wager by whatshername.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

During the Think Music, I told Carol Anne who it was, and she said she had never heard of him. I said, "You drive by the street named for him every day!" She responded that she doesn't pay attention to the streets, just where she is going. (The street in front of the Holocaust Museum has been renamed in his memory.)

Wallenberg.PNG
Wallenberg.PNG (61.72 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

FJ: First thought Schindler but figured he wasn't Swedish. Then remembered the Swedish man but couldn't exactly remember his name. First thought Warburg, then Wallberg. Couldn't quite come up with Wallenberg. :?

FYI, the Wallenberg family started the most popular investment fund in Sweden, INVESTOR.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investor_AB
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Vintsanity wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:40 pm
Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:03 pmSmaller wagers can be "defensible" in that they are enough to cover an accurate wager by the leader. But they are incorrect because if you need to be right in order to win the game (as is the case against any sane wager when you're trailing in a Crush), you might as well go all in to maximize your winnings on those occasions that you do win. --Bob
But you never know when the leader might channel his inner Clavin :D

Also, depending on the three scores, it is possible that the expected value of an extra thousand dollars for second place could be more than the extra money made by betting it all. Small potatoes really, and can easily be ignored without major consequence, but if you truly want to maximize the expected value of your total winnings it technically should be considered.
SInce you are GUARANTEED $1,000 if you win (coming in 3rd in the next game), we can almost completely dismiss an EV calc of the delta $1,000 between 2nd and 3rd. I mean even if you are only 10% to win, 10% of 14,000 is 1400, plus if you win you get the 1,000 tomorrow. Would have to be a very special case and the EV difference would be pretty much never over $200. And your real EV for the 2nd day is closer to $5,000 since you have chance to win.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:14 am During the Think Music, I told Carol Anne who it was, and she said she had never heard of him. I said, "You drive by the street named for him every day!" She responded that she doesn't pay attention to the streets, just where she is going. (The street in front of the Holocaust Museum has been renamed in his memory.)

Wallenberg.PNG
OMG, I saw the federal building and read it as the SALLY Yates building at first. But thats a whole nother message board. :mrgreen:
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Congrats, Bala! I like the guy's low key intensity. Sarah, too bad, so sad!

LT: poles, spruce, Silence (Oscar nominated, but otherwise forgettable), NOAA (it's a mouthful), The Path & MDD: Hyde Park, Dunkirk (coming soon to a theater near you!)

No guess on FJ. I wrote Nobel because I had absolutely no idea :(

I associate Hallelujah with Jeff Buckley first, and that ain't good

Wish Alex would catch more of these flubs in real time. ah well
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 pm Sarah was on the wrong end of a Crush scenario. If you're playing to win the game, there's only one correct bet in that position -- go all in. The utter innumeracy of otherwise-intelligent players never ceases to amaze me. --Bob
I could have seen a 3000-3199 bet, which would give her a win if she was right and Bala was wrong and bet the minimum he should have (which he did), and would still make it likely that she retain 2nd if she was wrong (which she would have).

Yes, 2nd is only $1000 more, which may be small potatoes compared to the chance of going all in and having an extra $4000 for going all in, but life isn't ONLY about money. What is the difference in happiness between 2nd and 3rd, vs the difference between being a $14k winner or a $10k winner? I'm guessing that the 10k winner and the 14k winner are practically equally happy, whereas the 2nd place person is happier than the 3rd.

That said, getting 2nd place when you could have had 1st by simply betting more probably feels pretty crappier than getting it wrong and ending up in 3rd.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dinghammer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 am Oh, how I wish that Oscar Niemeyer
I see what you did there?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For FJ, I was expecting a military person but he comes up a good bit on the show so I was done before the music started.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but her FJ bet wasn't very good. When betting from second, the basic rule is to determine the leader's MSBIW and stay above that amount while makin sure you are above third's doubled score. Since Bala's MSBIW is $9,999, she has to bet at least $3,000. That does put her at risk of being passed from third, but an extra $1,000 isn't going to change your life that much.

A bet of $3,000-$4,200 would have been great. I covers a miss by Bala and forces third to bet something and get it right for him to pass her.

I also heard services and was expecting a reversal.