Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1932 a 4,700-pound piece of the object that gave this capital its “small” name was moved to city hall

Deborah Elliott: 13400+12000=25400
Justin Vossler: 13600+13500=27100
Doug Groshart: 3400+0=3400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Little Rock (Doug: Little Rock Arkansas [no comma])

Daily Doubles
Justin: 400+1000
Justin: 11400+2000
Justin: 14600-1000

Coryats
Deborah: 13400
Justin: 13800
Doug: 3400

Combined: 30,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

STAMP COLLECTING was the last category remaining in the DJ! round and it had a Daily Double. Deborah called for the $400, the $800 and the $1200 clues. Justin found the DD in the $1600 box and only bet $1000. The 2K clue wanted FDI which was a stumper.

There were a lot of ways for Deborah to have led for the FJ! round and none of them worked out. What I am curious about is if Deborah would have known DD3 that Justin missed.

Canadian stumper of the day: the tall mountain that starts with "L". :lol:

No instaget for me on the FJ! clue as I needed between 5-10 seconds. Fine by me as I'll take that over a frantic map search that extends over 30 seconds.

Todd: Are you enjoying your out of the frying pan and into the fire week courtesy of Gavin & Deborah?
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Woo hoo, got it by reading the clue--the "small" and the city name being an object just clicked in the right way, I guess.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

KellyLasiter wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:59 am Woo hoo, got it by reading the clue--the "small" and the city name being an object just clicked in the right way, I guess.
Makes me wonder how tough it would have been in 30 seconds without the tease-out clue. How many other state capitals are based on objects? Baton Rouge and *maybe* Frankfort come to mind.
cherrypork
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cherrypork »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:19 am
Todd: Are you enjoying your out of the frying pan and into the fire week courtesy of Gavin & Deborah?
Not sure enjoying is the right word. Sure makes watching at my local pub interesting though! Rivals a Saints game or RuPauls Drag Race for yelling at the TV. Looking forward to tonight!
Golf

Post by Golf »

Well done Deborah! For the third day in a row you gave a player that should have zero chance to win an opportunity for victory. Mighty sporting of you.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Golf wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm Well done Deborah! For the third day in a row you gave a player that should have zero chance to win an opportunity for victory. Mighty sporting of you.
My first thought after finishing the game..it must be tough watching the game as Golf! :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

No get on French air mail DD. Should I know that?

The Bible category was difficult than usual, isn't it?

For Canadian boardies..does it still surprise you when contestants miss Canadian geography?

FJ was difficult? News to me.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Doug didn't do too well, but at least he seemed to enjoy his time there. Too bad for him FJ wasn't a TS.

I was worried FJ would be a wordplay and it was. But fortunately I was able to quickly make the connection with small and little before much time had passed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The Stephen Foster/I Dream of Jeannie clue seems quite undervalued. I get that it takes place in FL, but for an $800 clue, that's quite the connection you need to quickly make.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ was already on the easy side -- 4700lb would've had me thinking rocks anyway -- then they put "small" in quotation marks. Seriously?

Anyone surprised by Deb's overwager? Anyone? The only real mystery is, would she have finally wagered to cover had she snuck into the lead at the end?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT Liverpool, posts, or Gershwin in the top box?

The Parts of Speech category was a hoot. I couldn't get the first two, but once I got the hang of the category, I Lach Trashed the next too.

Also somehow got "Divan" and "fiery furnace". I can do Daniel->Rack, Shack, and Benny, but never in reverse for some reason. Much like Opus with Teddy Roosevelt/Rough Riders.

I've heard the word "mercenary" but had literally negative amounts of idea what it meant.

That Stamp category seemed very YEKIOYD.

No guess on FJ! Is there a way to just make these click already? I frantically scanned the whole map but Little Rock never came up.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got it but it took some time. Thinking process went something like "Philadelphia Bell...no... small... petit... little...rock! Little Rock!"
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

I came up with Little Rock...a little too late. Then I figured it was an easy one for all three.

And Todd is still in the hunt!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Ran "Psychotic episode;" they were all about shows that I've seen which was a crazy coincidence. FJ was an instaget - it was like the opposite of YEKIOYD; a YDKIBYCFIO - You Don't Know It But You Can Figure It Out
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Expecting Friday's FJ to be a liederkranz...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 pm The Stephen Foster/I Dream of Jeannie clue seems quite undervalued. I get that it takes place in FL, but for an $800 clue, that's quite the connection you need to quickly make.
THE COMPOSER PORTRAYED $800: Bill Shirley in “I Dream of Jeannie” (1952)

Looks like the clue is a spot for an [ERRATUM:] in the Archive as the movie is I Dream of Jeanie with one N and Jeannie with two Ns is the TV character.

When I played the clue I remembered it was composers and I processed the name of the movie as being one of the composer's songs. Whether it's some old piano book, listening to my dad's records or some cartoon, I've known the song for many years.

At some point along the line I learned the name Stephen Foster to go with it. Perhaps unusual for me, but I had no TV diversion or detour when I saw the clue. It was an instaget even though I knew nothing of the movie and can't recall knowing the name Bill Shirley even though he's the voice of Prince Phillip in Sleeping Beauty.