Wednesday, July 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“A man can be destroyed but not defeated” is a line from this 1952 book, later a Spencer Tracy film

Justin Vollner: 22200-5000=17200 (5x = $110,000)
Seth Cope: 13400-13000=400
Kellie Packwood: 4400-0=4400

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Old Man and the Sea (Justin – Bridges on the of Toko-Ri) (Seth – Man in the Grey Flannel Suit) (Kellie – The Talented Mr. Ripley)

Daily Doubles
Justin: 6800+1500
Justin: 14500+2500
Seth: 14800-1400

Coryats
Justin: 20200
Seth: 14800
Kellie: 4400

Combined: 39,400

For the J! Fan the scores after the J! round:
Justin: 9300
Seth: 5600
Kellie: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BRITANNICA BYLINES $800: Noted anarchist Prince Peter Alexeivitch Kropotkin wrote a 19th century entry on this capital

That was a double scoring clue with Kellie rebounding Moscow off Justin’s St. Petersburg miss that was reversed befor the reveal of the FJ! round.

The game had some puzzling stumpers that had me thinking someone on J! should know Saturday Night Fever, S.E. Hinton & Houdini. It has to be getting harder for the writers to figure out what the players might know or not and somehow matching it with the players selected by the contestant coordinators. Sometimes it seems like there is a disconnect between the two.

The FJ! clue was a fail for me on the Spencer Tracy post-1952 brainstorm as in 30 seconds I only managed to recall It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. I wrote the latter just to have something even though like my other option it had no chance to be right.

After Kellie’s wrong response was shown I paused the game to think a little more and came up with Inherit the Wind. After the game I looked up Tracy’s credits and realized I should have been able to recall Judgment at Nuremberg to have had one more guess in the mix.

What was a complete empty zone was the correct response as I knew nothing about the movie and Tracy’s part in it.
It’s funny when looking at the Archive how many hits there are for 1952 and the work: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search and how J! has called it a novella, novel, short story and story.

When the FJ! clue has a movie portion to it that is always my main track of thought and I spent no time on the 1952 novel portion.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Shoot, was hoping my streak of FJ would hit double digits today. Not the case.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Anyone else take a shot with "Inherit the Wind", even though it was a play?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm Anyone else take a shot with "Inherit the Wind", even though it was a play?
That was my guess in the after 30-second window. During think time one other thing I forgot to mention above was the quote making me think of Moby Dick. I knew Ahab was Gregory Peck and the book was 1800s, so I moved on not realizing I should have stayed a little longer with that line of thinking.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

How in the name of all that is holy was that a TS?

I give them credit for some (unintentionally?) funny responses, though.

TCM, people! :geek:

(Inherit The Wind isn't a bad guess as the quote sounds a bit like something Darrow could have said).
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Yikes...once again, Justin benefits from making this an interesting game and benefits from a triple stumper. Kellie's strategy made it somehow effective, considering that she had no chance to win. Glaring that Seth didn't get it right and dropped him to a 3rd place finish. Justin for sure has kicked Todd Giese off the ToC slot, and is now a 5-time champion. Well...after seeing how this week ends, going to season 34, it'll be interesting what kind of games we're gonna expect.

I didn't even know that The Old Man and the Sea was even a film.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The 4Xer purge is almost complete.

Turn handsprings?!? I swear some of the phrases I hear on this show make me wonder if I grew up in a different country.

They didn't anticipate St. Petersburg as an answer for 'Russian-sounding name' + capital + 19th century? I know you want to start that vacation but you still got two more games to go guys, try to stay focused.

I was screaming for Seth to go for the lead on that last DD...and then he whiffed at Book of Mormon. I didn't even see any recognition after Alex gave the answer. Good thing he didn't listen to me.

Old Man and the Sea was a movie? OK then. Another "WAG Inherit the Wind out of desperation" here.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I had no idea on this FJ, but any guess is better than leaving it blank, so I wrote down "East of Eden" just for the sake of guessing something.

I was amused when I looked it up afterward and found it was 1952 as well.

I'm unfamiliar with the Spencer Tracy Old Man and the Sea movie.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

I threw out Judgment at Nuremberg, just to have a post-1952 Spencer Tracy film down :oops:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 pm The FJ! clue was a fail for me on the Spencer Tracy post-1952 brainstorm as in 30 seconds I only managed to recall It’s a Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. I wrote the latter just to have something even though like my other option it had no chance to be right.

After Kellie’s wrong response was shown I paused the game to think a little more and came up with Inherit the Wind. After the game I looked up Tracy’s credits and realized I should have been able to recall Judgment at Nuremberg to have had one more guess in the mix.
I went through similar mental flailings. I forgot about Mad(x4) World and Nuremberg. I remembered Inherit the Wind but knew that was based on a play. I stuck with Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for a while, even though I didn't like it much. At the 20-second mark I decided the line sounded more like something from Boys Town and switched to that. Turns out that was way too early (1938).

I did not know they made a movie of The Old Man and the Sea. If you'd told me they'd made one in 1958 and asked me to guess who played Santiago, Spencer Tracy would not have been among my top 25 guesses. Here, in no particular order, are 25 actors I would consider more likely to have played Santiago in a 1958 film.
  1. John Wayne
  2. Cesar Romero
  3. Henry Fonda
  4. Humphrey Bogart
  5. Robert Mitchum
  6. Wallace Beery (died in '49. Did not know that.)
  7. William Holden
  8. John Carradine
  9. Douglas Fairbanks
  10. Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
  11. William Demarest
  12. Gary Cooper
  13. Ronald Coleman
  14. Ernest Borgnine
  15. Walter Huston
  16. Gregory Peck
  17. Melvyn Douglas
  18. Errol Flynn
  19. Walter Brennan
  20. Ray Bolger
  21. Bert Lahr
  22. Frank Morgan
  23. Jack Haley
  24. Buddy Ebsen
  25. Don Ameche
To be fair, I'd have picked Tracy over Clark Gable, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MY FJ streak ends at 14. I had no chance on this one. I said Boys Town just to say something, even though I had a feeling that the movie was pre-1952 (1938, it turns out) and didn't know if it had even been based on a book (it wasn't). No way was I getting within a mile of Hemingway, let alone The Old Man and the Sea.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Rather than a TOM, Tracy movie acted as a distraction. Ended with nothing... Was thinking of boys town, but knew it was too early.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:21 pm Yikes...once again, Justin benefits from making this an interesting game and benefits from a triple stumper. Kellie's strategy made it somehow effective, considering that she had no chance to win. Glaring that Seth didn't get it right and dropped him to a 3rd place finish. Justin for sure has kicked Todd Giese off the ToC slot, and is now a 5-time champion. Well...after seeing how this week ends, going to season 34, it'll be interesting what kind of games we're gonna expect.

I didn't even know that The Old Man and the Sea was even a film.

Neither did I. and THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY wasn't even FILMED until 32 years after Spencer Tracy's death.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:22 pm Rather than a TOM, Tracy movie acted as a distraction. Ended with nothing... Was thinking of boys town, but knew it was too early.

According to iMDB, TOM&TS was remade for TV in 1990 with Anthony Quinn as Santiago.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

While I don't blame the players at all for not coming up with it, I seem to be in the minority with Elijah Baley having gotten it. Two through lines for me...

First, when I watch at 7 pm ET, I make a single pre-call off the category along with @JeopardyGuesser. She went with The Great Gatsby. I hadn't seen any Hemingway on #BlindGuess, so I picked The Sun Also Rises.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:04 pmWhen the FJ! clue has a movie portion to it that is always my main track of thought and I spent no time on the 1952 novel portion.
On the reveal, I went exactly the opposite way, focusing on the year and the quote - which I felt sure I'd read before. Maybe 12 seconds in, being primed toward Hemingway, the year clicked. I looked at the quote again and it felt like a good fit, so The Old Man and the Sea went onto the paper. When Alex said "Santiago," I raised a fist and pumped it triumphantly. (As it turns out, I had read the quote - in ninth grade English class, over two decades ago.)
Golf

Post by Golf »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm Neither did I. and THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY wasn't even FILMED until 32 years after Spencer Tracy's death.
"Purple Noon" was a 1960 movie based on the 1955 Novel The Talented Mr. Ripley. So in a way, the 1999 version was a remake.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

The quote meant nothing to me so I had to pick a Spencer Tracy movie I could think of and said Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Well, Guess Who's Not on an FJ Streak Anymore?

My S.O. Said Quebec instead of Quebecois - acceptable?