Wednesday, December 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Re: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by slam »

Suze wrote:Twilight is so ever present, you don't have to have seen or read any of it to be aware of the basics. They gave you the name Isabella in the clue- Bella being the lead female dishrag of a character. Plus Jacob was like the number one name for several years over the last decade. So even without the movie reference, I think people had a decent shot at it.
I really liked the boards tonight. Boomie was great. The other two put up a nice fight for a while, but then he just took it and ran like hell.
Like you say, I had it without the Twilight context. Until things change, male popular baby name + biblical = Jacob. After Jacob immediately popped into my head, I went back and read the rest of the question and then remembered that Isabella = Bella (as she's mostly known by). And to pre-answer the poll proposed above, I didn't read any of the books, but did see the first movie in the series. Happened to be watching TV one day when it came on cable and figured that I should watch at least this one since it's so omnipresent these days. It wasn't a terrible movie, but it certainly wasn't good either.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

dhkendall wrote:OK, how many others here think that the "St. Ranier's Day" clue was far undervalued at the $400 spot? Myself, I tend to consider the category a wheelhouse, I most likely would have TDD'd the DD, no matter my lead (and got it, 4/5 in the cat), but "St. Ranier" was a complete stand-and-stare. I understood the TOM after Alex explained it (Ranier = Monaco), but I always thought it was because of Prince Ranier, and not anybody by that name who was canonized. (BTW, I was tempted to answer "Monserrat" in the $800 spot, as St. Patrick's Day is also its national holiday, as Patrick is the patron saint of that Caribbean island as well (as well as of Nigeria, but March 17 isn't a national holiday there), but held off - might have even still been negged, despite being technically correct, the fact that Monserrat isn't technically a nation (but rather a British dependency) might have bit me).

And way to go Boomie again! You made a good demonstration of how not only knowledge but buzzer speed is a factor in a lock game. And, again, thanks for making the game entertaining. :)
Like alietr said, it's an easy clue because it's at the $400 level. Don't overthink it. If it had been lower on the board, I might have been led to some of the paralyzing thoughts that you had.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Great Stephen King quote: “Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is how important it is to have a boyfriend.”
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

He didn't say that. Someone made that up and attributed it to him.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

ah, thanks for the info Suze. Just saw it recently, guess I should've googled it!
So, wonder if Yogi Berra actually said it? ;) He didn't say a lot of the things he said.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

It's... sad.... weird?!? That a series of novels about vampires and werewolves is probably one of the more realistic displays of how teenage girls actually behave currently out there.

http://thehairpin.com/2011/11/our-bella-ourselves
Mark B
Four-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Mark B »

alietr wrote:Also, bevy was some nice Lach Trash.
I'm guessing Boomie didn't want to mess with the math of whether he had a lock. It's a pretty quick figure, but if he was juggling his certainty about bevy...it all happens pretty fast.

I had a brain cramp on FJ, tried to think through children's literature that had the right name, didn't parse the clue right, and went with good old reliable Matthew, for lack of a better guess. Happens.

I'm a bit concerned about Boomie's DD betting, and I feel as if skill/luck on the buzzer has played a larger role in his success than I would have liked, but am nonetheless pleased with his two locks so far. Certainly all the DD and FJ gets to this point look great. Maybe I'm crazy, but I still think he's gaining in confidence. Looking forward to more.

And Boomie? I shall think of you the next time I pass over the St. Laurent!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

My favorite description of Twilight (seen on parentsshouldnttext.com): "Twilight is basically the story of a girl who has to choose between necrophilia and bestiality."

Rex
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Hm, I knew that girl in the middle was familiar. I auditioned next to her during the gameplay portion. When my call comin dogs?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hmm...add "NATO Alphabet" to the short list of 'categories I'll Clavin if the DD's in it.' I could handle that category with just letters. (It comes in real handy calling Microsoft when your Windows key, the one stickered to the bloody case, complains it's not valid. Reading a 25 character long alpha-numeric string over the phone. Not fun.)

Got final thanks to the internet constantly mocking it. No first-hand experience with the source.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Thought there were a lot of 50/50 questions in Round 1 that I bungled — Du Bois for Booker T., NYC for Boston, Hinduism for Buddhism, gnu for gazelle. Also had santeria for voodoo — is that one in the same? Judges?
mrbungle

Post by mrbungle »

heisman65 wrote:Thought there were a lot of 50/50 questions in Round 1 that I bungled
congratulations for doing so well on them!
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Thanks! I think …
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

Austin Powers wrote:It's... sad.... weird?!? That a series of novels about vampires and werewolves is probably one of the more realistic displays of how teenage girls actually behave currently out there.

http://thehairpin.com/2011/11/our-bella-ourselves
I can't even begin to explain the level of hate I have for that article. It caused an uproar on Twitter and Tumblr when it first came out. It's pretty anti-feminist and just plain wrong-headed about a lot of things.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

There's actually some really interesting Twilight interpretations out there (I can't speak to precisely how valid they are, I stopped after the first book, which I found to be a decent read but not particularly high quality). One of my favorites is from Reddit portraying Twilight as a cautionary tale

http://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ ... ht/c354zbz
AcadamiaNut
Valued Contributor

Post by AcadamiaNut »

mrbungle wrote:
heisman65 wrote:Thought there were a lot of 50/50 questions in Round 1 that I bungled
congratulations for doing so well on them!
HA!

First off, I hadn't remembered being so far down going into the first break and into DJ, but having watched it now, I do recall the terrifying feeling that "wow, this game is 25%/50% over and things could easily go completely off the rails and then no more Jeopardy." I also remember thinking that Matt looked good on the buzzer in practice and was really there to compete, but I also got the feeling in the Green Room that nerves might take more away from him than from some of the other contestants.

Can't really explain my slow start... I didn't love the categories (was really looking for the old classics: literature, history, geography, opera, playwrights, art & artists, etc. ... wow, I am way too Euro-centric), and, clearly, I was off my game a touch. I *do* know the Arabian Sea (thanks, Alex!)--I just rang in before I head my mental map up and then couldn't produce it (I thought of this clue when Roger said "Dalmatian" for "Pomerania" in his TOC semifinal). And I *have* seen "The Wild Bunch"--I just locked in on the first part of the clue, unfortunately.

DJ: much more to my liking: Shakespeare, Country's National Holiday, "C" in Science, and, of course, NATO Alphabet (after which, I was like "Damn, Matt studied the NATO alphabet too!"). But I remember seeing my opening when, after getting "Lima," Matt went for a $400 clue; once I got "faction," the DD hunt was on. My first DD bet was calculated to put me in the lead (I was confident I would maintain the lead if I could get it) / keep me within half the lead. After Matt's "Denmark" neg, my second DD bet was about not doing myself harm (and, again, feeling confident about the remaining material and my buzzing ability). As for Rainier, I have to believe I would have gotten it from the home couch; "St." threw me, despite the valuation--I think maybe Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens got me stuck in the Pacific Northwest. But it was probably retroactive karma, as I was screaming at the TV when Joon didn't get Prince Albert in his game 5 FJ :P .

Watching it now, I feel bad for Matt--he was really nice, and I can see how frustrated he got on the buzzer. I think I posted to this effect about Tuesday's game, but the buzzer was the big thing I was worried about, and I was really relieved to find that I seemed to have the right timing on a good deal of clues.

FJ: One of those golden FJs, where you know it instantly and each hint fits into the puzzle perfectly. I've never read/seen, but "book & movie series," "top name," "Isabella," and "biblical"--it felt like a cornucopia of clues, and I assumed it would be a TG. And I couldn't resist a silver-platter opportunity to introduce a little levity into the proceedings... :D

PS. You are all invited to my movie party, where we will be watching "MORRIS'S PENGUINS" and that 1969 Sam Peckinpah classic "THE HOLE IN THE WALL GANG."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AcadamiaNut wrote:...and that 1969 Sam Peckinpah classic "THE HOLE IN THE WALL GANG."
Don't feel bad, I did the same thing. What's frustrating about that clue, IMO...

1. Butch Cassidy is not really associated with a gang named 'The Wild Bunch.' (Yes, technically he is, but it's more a footnote.)
2. The 1969 film 'The Wild Bunch' has zero association with Butch Cassidy
3. The classic Newman/Redford 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' ALSO came out in 1969. (I did not explicitly know this, but knew it was in the general period.)

Too much misdirection in that clue for my tastes...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

heisman65 wrote:Thought there were a lot of 50/50 questions in Round 1 that I bungled — Du Bois for Booker T., NYC for Boston, Hinduism for Buddhism, gnu for gazelle. Also had santeria for voodoo — is that one in the same? Judges?
well, the marathon clue gave the date, which was april 19. that's patriots day here in massachusetts (battle of lexington/concord: april 19, 1775), i.e. marathon day. (well, nowadays the marathon is the third monday in april, but it used to always be on the 19th.) the new york marathon happened pretty recently—it's always in november. so that wasn't a 50/50 at all if you know your stuff. similarly, hinduism is much older than buddhism; there's no real origin date, but in some sense it's the oldest of the major world religions. it was certainly around loooong before buddhism. so even if you don't know ashoka (and he's an interesting figure), that wasn't really a 50/50. and yes, gnus are also antelopes, but they look nothing like gazelles, really. the gazelle is the epitome of quickness and spryness, but gnus are much more heavy-set. i did join you with du bois for washington, but i'm pretty iffy on american history.
AcadamiaNut wrote:As for Rainier, I have to believe I would have gotten it from the home couch; "St." threw me, despite the valuation--I think maybe Mt. Rainier and Mt. Saint Helens got me stuck in the Pacific Northwest. But it was probably retroactive karma, as I was screaming at the TV when Joon didn't get Prince Albert in his game 5 FJ :P .
yeah, word got around to me about that, so i arranged to have you punished through the appropriate channels. ;) hope you don't miss the $400 too badly. nice get on panama for the DD, though.

awesome job again, boomie. and i loved your cheeky FJ response! keep up the great work, because man, is it fun to watch players who really know what they're doing.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

All good points, Joon. Glad I wasn't alone on W.E.B. Still did pretty well in the is game, though. Still wondering about santeria and voodoo. From what I've read santeria is more Cuba, voodoo more DR. Still, they seem pretty similar …

Thanks for all the good feedback, too! IDing animals from simple pictures is obviously not a strong suit …