Thursday, December 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6269, 2011-12-15

Alex's wife Jean, 91-year-old mother Lucille, and cousin Dolores from Florida featured in the audience.

CONTESTANTS
Beth Watkins, a graduate student of medieval studies from Savannah, Georgia
Silas Crawford, an attorney from Jacksonville, Florida
Boomie Aglietti, a writer for TV and stage from Los Angeles, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $58,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our show. I start off today by warning you--I'm going to be on my very best behavior, because there are three very important members of my family, who are seated in the audience--my beautiful wife Jean, my 91-year-old mom Lucille, and my only American cousin Dolores, who is visiting with us from Florida. Good to have all three of them here today. Boomie is our champion. He has had two runaway games in a row. Can he make it three against silas and Beth? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go--the Jeopardy! Round, and these are going to be your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PASTIMES (5/5)
THE ENTERTAINER'S TWITTER BIO (4/5)
DIALECTS (5/5)
COMPANY LOGOS (4/5)
BURNS, BABY, BURNS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"S" AS IN SIMILE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Beth: 10 R, 0 W
Boomie: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Silas: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Boomie found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Boomie had $4,200, Silas had $400, and Beth was at $2,600. Boomie wagered $1,200.

BURNS, BABY, BURNS $1000: Steinbeck took note when Burns wrote "the best laid schemes o" these two things "gang aft agley"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Boomie: $5,400
Beth: $2,600
Silas: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Beth Watkins is from Savannah, Georgia. She is a graduate student of medieval studies. Notice how I pronounced that correctly.

Beth: That's right.

Alex: Now you travel with a good-luck charm of some kind.

Beth: Yes. Yes.

Alex: Tell us about that.

Beth: Uh, it's a small stuffed orange fish, uh, that my sister got as a prize out of a cereal box. And so it's a way of traveling--I actually have it with me--traveling with it when I go around the country or when I visit.

Alex: Show the audience.

Beth: It's very nice.

Alex: There we go. A little goldfish is hoping to bring Beth good luck.

Beth: That's right.

Alex: Does it usually work?

Beth: It does work, um, and you know, he's--we've gone to many places together, so...

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Silas Crawford, attorney from Florida, broke his toe playing what?

Silas: Playing drums. I'm a novice drummer, and one day I was at home, and I was running a bath. So I thought I'd sit down in my flip-flops and hit the kit for a few minutes and got carried away. Remembered the water, jumped up, ran, hit my foot on the hi-hat stand, and broke my little toe.

Alex: Oh, gosh. Well, you didn't kick the hi-hat stand after hurting your toe, did you?

Silas: Oh, no.

Alex: 'Cause that happens so often when we stub our toe. We get angry, and just... [Mimes kicking drums]

Silas: No, one toe was enough.

Alex: One toe is enough. All right.

Alex: Boomie Aglietti is our champion. Met an attractive Swiss girl in New York City. Didn't get her name, but intelligent young fellow that he is, did what to try and track her down?

Boomie: So I went back to the lobby of the dorm where she lived and I kind of snuck my way in through the--through the guards, and I posted a sign that said, "Missing--beautiful French, uh, beautiful Swiss girl", uh, in French. And, uh, I left kind of a dummy e-mail address just in case she happened to see it, and she did respond. And then some--for some reason, I moved out of New York. So... I don't know why.

Alex: You're a writer.

Boomie: Yeah.

Alex: Yeah. Great beginning, lousy ending.

Boomie: Terrible, terrible.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE ENTERTAINER'S TWITTER BIO $400: For this NBC "Late Night" guy, you'll find "astrophysicist"

COMPANY LOGOS $1000: A fast-food chain: the name of the chain in red on a bun

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Boomie: $7,000
Beth: $4,800
Silas: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TIMES PAST (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THE BIRDS & THE "B"s (5/5)
CHURCHES & CATHEDRALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV SHOW SUPPORTING CHARACTERS (4/5)
FABRICS (5/5)
MIDDLE T (5/5) (Alex: The letter "T" will be exactly in the middle of each correct response.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Boomie: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Beth: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Silas: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Beth snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Boomie had $13,000, Silas had $7,800, and Beth was at $10,800. Beth wagered $3,000.

CHURCHES & CATHEDRALS $1200: Teddy Roosevelt spoke to a crowd of 10,000 at the laying of the foundation stone for this cathedral in 1907

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Beth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Boomie had $15,000, Silas had $7,800, and Beth was at $16,600. Beth wagered $2,000.

TIMES PAST $1600: In the congress system of 1815-25, nations tried to solve conflict diplomatically, starting with the Congress of here
(Beth: What is Paris?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SHOW SUPPORTING CHARACTERS $1200: Parker Scavo,
Ana Solis,
Danielle Van de Kamp

TIMES PAST $800: The 1987 Meech Lake Accord was a failed attempt to recognize this Canadian province as a "distinct society"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Beth: $18,600
Boomie: $18,600
Silas: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Prisoner's dilemma.
Beth: Do you trust Boomie? Then bet $0.
Boomie: Don't trust Beth? Then bet $18,600 and hope for an easy Final Jeopardy! clue.
Silas: If Beth and Boomie both wager all $18,600 and give incorrect responses, you'll wind up the winner so long as you don't bet more than $8,599. Since your score is less than half either of theirs (meaning you can't overtake them by wagering money) and your win is predicated on both of them getting Final wrong (meaning that, chances are, you won't get it right either), a wager of $0 seems wisest.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He was born in NYC on April 3, 1783, toward the end of the Revolutionary War, & named for one of the war's heroes

FINAL SCORES
Silas: $8,600 + $8,000 = $16,600 (Who is Washington Irving?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Boomie: $18,600 - $18,600 = $0 (Who is Hawthorne) (3rd place: $1,000)
Beth: $18,600 + $18,600 = $37,200 (Who is was Washington Irving?) (New champion: $37,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Beth: $18,800, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Boomie: $18,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Silas: $8,600, 13 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $45,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Boomie: 22/59 = .373
Beth: 21/60 = .350
Silas: 14/58 = .241
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BURNS, BABY, BURNS $800: Finish the burns line: "Give me a spark O' nature's fire! / that's a' the learning I..."
(Silas: What is "require"?)

PASTIMES $400: Take a page from this pastime seen here

COMPANY LOGOS $800: Gas stations: a red Pegasus
(Boomie: What is Texaco?)

MIDDLE T $1600: It's the 7th letter of the Greek alphabet
(Silas: What is theta?)

CHURCHES & CATHEDRALS $800: A statue of Leif Eriksson is out front of the Hallgrmskirkja Church--one of this country's tallest buildings

CHURCHES & CATHEDRALS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue from Jerusalem.) Sites corresponding to the tenth through final stations of the cross are within the Church of the Holy this--another word for a tomb; it's been called Christianity's most hallowed ground

CORRECT RESPONSES
"mice and men"
Jimmy Fallon
Burger King
the National Cathedral
Vienna
Desperate Housewives
Quebec
Washington Irving
"desire"
scrapbooking
Mobil
eta
Iceland
Sepulcher
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Thursday, December 15, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DWS »

I guess it helps to bring your lucky fish to the show.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

I really wanted to see co-champs. Booooooooo. *hiss*

Wagering calculator says: "Do you trust Player B?"
The contestants say: NO!
I love the prisoner's dilemma :mrgreen:
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Deja vu all over again!

When I saw tonight's FJ category, "American Authors" I automatically pre-called my winning response (see Oct. 3, 1996).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2196

Imagine how stunned I was when the clue was revealed: "He was born in NYC on April 3, 1783, toward the end of the Revolutionary War and named for one of the war's heroes."

I wondered if history would also repeat with the third place contestant winning with a sole get. Instead, history repeated with the one female contestant being the winner.

Finally advanced from Newbie to Contributor! All those years on the original Board down the drain :(
AcadamiaNut
Valued Contributor

Post by AcadamiaNut »

SavoyGirl wrote:Deja vu all over again!

When I saw tonight's FJ category, "American Authors" I automatically pre-called my winning response (see Oct. 3, 1996).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2196
Oh god--the worst part about that is that October 3 is my birthday.
Last edited by AcadamiaNut on Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

It was a great game; just an unfortunate ending. :( I didn't come up with FJ either.
Beth is a really strong player. She'd have to be, to beat AcadamiaNut. Look forward to seeing more of her tomorrow.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Beth on the win, and congrats to Boomie on three great games!

As much as I was rooting for Boomie I have to give mad props to Beth. I was surprised that she missed the Congress of Vienna DD but she impressed me in that cathedrals category where she knew the DD. Oddly enough, the only clue I knew in that category was the $2000 clue (Hagia Sophia). I also have to tip my hat to Beth for winning the buzzer races at the end of the DJ round on Wessex and Hebrides. They ended up not mattering, but they could have.

My first thought on the FJ clue was Washington Irving (because of New York and the time period) but I dismissed him at first because I thought the year was too late for his birth year. I spent about 10 seconds trying to come up with another name until the light bulb came on and I said "WASHINGTON Irving...duh." I want to say that I am surprised that Boomie missed the FJ clue but given how I almost muffed it I'll stay neutral on the difficulty level.

I am surprised at how herky-jerky Boomie was with the buzzer, most notably in this game. I have always heard that most contestants have success on the buzzer when they keep it firmly planted in their hands. I thought that that would be the method he'd go for.

I was glad that all thee players made good FJ wagers.

I also have to say...because I knew from the Hometon Howdies page that there were the usual 11 contestants on the show this week, I knew that as soon as Beth's wager was revealed that Boomie either under wagered or (more likely) missed the FJ clue.
JMonde

Post by JMonde »

Yikes, April 3rd is my birthday and I couldnt come up with Irving, I suck. I had Washington on my mind and clearly no books in there with it. Congrats Beth Watkins for the gutsy play and risking it all on FJ. I love that. I want more true DD!
Procrastination_Xtravaganza
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was looking forward to co-champs, but knew it wasn't to be when I saw Boomie reading through the clue a second and third and fourth time during the "Think!" theme. Congrats to Beth and Boomie both!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was surprised at the Meech Lake Accords TS. Canadian Province with a "distinct" heritage and culture, what else but Quebec? Ran "S"imiles and Middle "T", shut out on TV Supporting Characters.
AcadamiaNut
Valued Contributor

Post by AcadamiaNut »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Beth on the win, and congrats to Boomie on three great games!

I want to say that I am surprised that Boomie missed the FJ clue but given how I almost muffed it I'll stay neutral on the difficulty level.
Me too! Yeah, during the break, I was really focused on Hawthorne, because I remembered having missed an FJ on him a while back. But I went through almost everyone else, by century--I even thought to myself "18th-century: well, America was pretty young then, so there weren't that many 'American' writers from back then. 19th-century: Twain, Poe, Thoreau..." Ugh. I knew Hawthorne wasn't right, but I just overthought the question from the wrong angles and couldn't get to the right angle in time.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Wow- pretty much what Steven said. I even got myself backwards a second on Irving, thinking, "not only was he born earlier, but his real name was Dietrich Knickerbocker, and there's no hero... no, wait, that's his other name." So I kept Irving (eliminating Poe, Melville, and Cooper). I'm glad I didn't think of Hawthorne, because Nathanael Greene certainly qualifies.
With nothing better, despite thinking he was born before 1783, I stayed with Irving.

It is indeed to bad we couldn't have co-champions. It's always nice to see a prisoner's dilemma fully rewarded.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

This seemed like one of those Final Jeopardies where you wanted to know as little as possible while still having the required knowledge in your mind. I know I just immediately went for War Hero = Washington = Washington Irving without even detouring at Nathanael/Nathaniel. When Boomie answered, it made sense, but oh well.

Beth was really impressive though. Some top-flight gets, good buzzer reactions, decent wagering, no complaints about our new champ. And not that it mattered this game, but I wish Boomie was a little more aggressive on daily doubles. I also wish I was half as smart as him, so I can't criticize. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Trebek's mother really looks good for her age! (Is this the first time we've seen her?)

Biggest surprise of the night: Alex clearly doesn't know the difference between a clownfish and a goldfish (I'm assuming his kids weren't into Finding Nemo)

Heartbreaking loss, Boomie, glad you at least went out wagering properly! I'll be rooting hard for the stars to align for you to somehow make it to the TOC, you were really a TOC calibre player - if only Beth's appearance could have been delayed another 2 or 3 games ... :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The bit about being named for one of the heroes of the war led me to think of as many Revolutionary War people as I could. None really leaped out at me, until I thought of THE hero of the war and it became an instaget. I think the wording was a tad msileading.

I thought Irving was born later, but he was the man.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote:Heartbreaking loss, Boomie, glad you at least went out wagering properly! I'll be rooting hard for the stars to align for you to somehow make it to the TOC, you were really a TOC calibre player - if only Beth's appearance could have been delayed another 2 or 3 games ... :)
That's a lot to ask for the stars to align to get a 2-time champ in the TOC. Boomie may not be officially eliminated until next season, but I think Desperate Housewives would get a 9th season before Boomie plays again.

For the FJ clue I went to hero = Washington and author = Irving. Done. I would have guessed earlier for the author's birth year in a Guesstimania, but that was not enough to get me off track. I recalled something about the Revolutionary War in Rip Van Winkle and that work seemed like it was written in the early 1800s for my estimate. All of that was enough for me to feel like it was not a clue to overthink.

Since this was a Thursday game it has to be asked. What was for lunch?
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Silas had several quality gets as well, and of course got FJ without breaking a sweat. His bad luck to be faced with such stiff competition--could easily have been a champ on another day. Shame he was unable to pull out "eta."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Why would you bet anything in that situation? You both have Silas locked out and then right or wrong, you have a guaranteed $18600 payday. I was surprised that both of them went all in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Would you trust the other player to make the zero bet?