Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jwatcher16 »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:58 pm I feel so bad for Anupama. Clearly you have to be smart to at least make it that far but she seemed to be hit with the fatal combination of nervousness and a nightmare board. Now you have sites like TMZ writing articles making fun of her for her Colorado Rockies answer, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Yeah, she is a super nice person and it's sad that she'll have to endure some Internet attention of this flavor for a while. Also, keep in mind this was the very first game of the taping session, so that was likely only adding to her nerves. I spent a lot of time chatting with her during the morning warmups and (very quietly, of course) between her game and mine. I'm sure if she'd been picked for a different game or maybe even just had a longer stint in the warmup game, things could have gone differently for her. Maybe not a win (That Ivan/Dennis duel was epic), but certainly not the descent that she had.
Hi there zerobandwidth -

I really have enjoyed your stories of behind the scenes this episode. I did get the sense that Anapama was very nice (seemed to come through on screen!) and glad you said she got lots of supportive hugs there. Yes, it's sad she'll get some of that "neg" attention for a while; hope they move onto something else soon.

Now would you believe I didn't notice the prob with the FJ displays? Unbelievable.

Now before I forget, I also like that Oscar Wilde quote in your personal display. Sort of reminds me of something the Moody Blues (my faves) might write - Justin Hayward in particular is often writing about "truth."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 pm I spent a lot of time chatting with her during the morning warmups and (very quietly, of course) between her game and mine.
How were you able to do that? When I was on, once you lost, you were ushered out. They did let me back in to watch other matches, but I wasn't allowed to sit with contestants who hadn't been on yet. As far as I knew, that's always been the case.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

jwatcher16 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:17 am Hi there threearruda -
Glad you're aboard here! Hope you're enjoying "Lyrical Ballads"

I came here today to note I think there have been quite a few categories lately involving poets and/or poetry. Very cool for me as I write poetry and very much enjoy such categories even though I probably haven't read much of it at all after no longer being "in school."

BTW, do you follow the Wordsworthians? They (the Wordsworth Trust) tweet all kinds of things about all the Romantic poets - quotes, articles, blog posts, what happened on that date sometimes, and even PICTURES! One of the best pictures was of the actual engagement ring Keats gave to Fanny Brawne. You might enjoy their tweets.

And yes, I couldn't believe "backstop" was a ts and they couldn't come up with those NFL hall of famers - although to be honest, I had to really think on at least one to get it right...ya know, these "mature" brain cells sometimes take their time making connections.
JWatcher,

I am enjoying Lyrical Ballads, lot of interesting and thought-provoking pieces so far (though we have not gotten to Rime of the Ancient Mariner just yet). Wordsworthians are new news to me but I'll definitely have to check them out - thank you for informing me!

Still being a student myself, in the last two years or so poetry has become a category I feel much more comfortable with -- for J! watching purposes that's a very good thing. I owe a lot of that to my high school English teacher.

Now that I've had a little more time to think about it.. I suppose if the NFL players in question were Brett Favre, LaDainian Tomlinson or other recent stars of note, the success rate might have been a little higher. For the non-sports fan who studies sports based off current events and not an almanac or something, there isn't much of a chance to come across someone elected 25 years ago. Whereas with Favre and Tomlinson, they both played ten years ago and were elected within the last two years; thus are more likely to come up in current events research. Food for thought I suppose.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

jwatcher16 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:48 am Now before I forget, I also like that Oscar Wilde quote in your personal display. Sort of reminds me of something the Moody Blues (my faves) might write - Justin Hayward in particular is often writing about "truth."
:) Thanks; it's the only Wilde work I know at any depth, and one of the few stage plays I'll go out of my way to see live.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:41 pm I spent a lot of time chatting with her during the morning warmups and (very quietly, of course) between her game and mine.
How were you able to do that? When I was on, once you lost, you were ushered out. They did let me back in to watch other matches, but I wasn't allowed to sit with contestants who hadn't been on yet. As far as I knew, that's always been the case.
The audience was pretty crowded for that session, and while she was ushered out after her game, she returned for the rest of that day to chill in the audience section next to us. Our contestant group had quickly developed a strong, friendly chemistry as the morning progressed, and it seemed like the coordinators just kind of let that continue, particularly since that first game had been so very rough on her.

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 am :) Thanks; it's the only Wilde work I know at any depth
I acted in this play! So many quotable lines! 'The suspense is terrible. I hope it will last!'
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 amand one of the few stage plays I'll go out of my way to see live.
Um, could we talk about this?? :(
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

My this game has generated the most chatter in a while I think.

It's nice to see the kindness toward Annapurna from the boardies. I can name exactly two cricket players, so I felt her helplessness when she buzzed in with her "Colorado Rockies" answer. I wonder if her reflex to buzz in was deliberate or just a desperate attempt?

I agree with the newbie Threearuda that the NFL players were rather YEKIOYD coming out of the Baby Boomer era. Mean Joe Greene is more famous for the Coke (?) commercial than his NFL career. Michael Irvin is not Jerry Rice famous unless you know him from his broadcast career. Marcus Allen is not OJ Simpson or Barry Sanders famous, and I might have been negged for my "Oakland Raiders" (they've never been LA Raiders to a Chiefs fan) answer.

I went with preemption, channeling our famous Iraq war blunder. The only redemption for the writers is that it was a triple stinker, and it saved the show a few bucks.

I thought Ivan might have some legs, but he got an ideal board on Friday for his cosmopolitan background, and got in trouble Monday.

I couldn't make out the details of the statue, except the rope. It didn't matter, I know exactly one poem about the sea, and it is a fave from high school that we were forced to memorize long sections of - "Day after day, Day after day, .... as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean", blah blah..
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am It's nice to see the kindness toward Annapurna from the boardies.
Um, Anupama is not a mountain in the Himalayas.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am I agree with the newbie Threearuda that the NFL players were rather YEKIOYD coming out of the Baby Boomer era. Mean Joe Greene is more famous for the Coke (?) commercial than his NFL career. Michael Irvin is not Jerry Rice famous unless you know him from his broadcast career. Marcus Allen is not OJ Simpson or Barry Sanders famous, and I might have been negged for my "Oakland Raiders" (they've never been LA Raiders to a Chiefs fan) answer.
I think you're giving them too much credit. The three clues uncovered all dealt with players who in the pro football Hall of Fame. Football is far from a strong category for me, so if I knew the answers to these I know they were not difficult.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:56 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 amand one of the few stage plays I'll go out of my way to see live.
Um, could we talk about this?? :(
:oops: That came out harshly, didn't it? No disrespect to those who take the stage, certainly. I just have a very short list of favorites that will get me off my duff time and again to go to the theater, as I have very little free time as it is, and that's generally devoted to other things. …Earnest is one of those. Once the kids are civil enough to take to a theater around typical (night) showtimes, we'll have more opportunities to watch things.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can never remember if Taylor is the FJ's middle or last name. I took a guess on it being the middle and got lucky today.

I don't do any J! social media other than here and some of the Facebook page. So I don't know what was said about Anupama. I agree she seemed like a very nice lady and if she is chasing Federer around the globe, she does know a little about sports. I also think she got a case of the nerves. She also may naturally be a quiet or timid person in general, which isn't going to help on this show. But she has gotten further than I ever have, so congratulations to her if she happens to be lurking.

Overall, not the best game I've seen. Crane should have been a rebound after it wasn't the Headless Horseman. Usually I hate seeing a category unfinished, but I don't think I could have taken any more of the football category. I got precaution, but I don't see an issue with any of their responses.

I'll jump aboard with the Wagering Vikings and say those were bad bets. In Ivan's defense, if Dennis bets $5,000 (the most he can to insure staying above Ivan's MSBIW score of $6,999), then Ivan wins the game with what he bet. But if I'm in the lead, I'm making the MSB, category and strategy be damned. It is a fatal mistake to assume second place is going to bet logically. I wonder if Dennis saw Ivan's underbet from Friday (we know he was there) and went all in based on that. If so, bravo to him.

But I'm glad a handyman/housepainter won. Nice to see someone not from one of the "brainy" professions shine.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I have it on good authority(*) that the next three FJ categories are:
19th Century Sonnet Writers
"Couplets" in the News
Haiku Hijinks

(*) I made this up.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm Am I the only one who was thrown off by the look of the statue? The sailor looked too modern for the 19th century and I had a tough time determining that the thing he was holding was a big bird.
It looks like the statue is very recent (2002-2003) so that could account for it looking so modern. I'm assuming that they were counting on people getting it from reading "statue of a sailor" and not really needing the photo. Because yeah, it was almost impossible to tell that it was a bird at the other end of the rope. And I was a little surprised that Alex just referred to it as a bird instead of the apt expression.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am
mcsheffrey wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:22 pm Am I the only one who was thrown off by the look of the statue? The sailor looked too modern for the 19th century and I had a tough time determining that the thing he was holding was a big bird.
It looks like the statue is very recent (2002-2003) so that could account for it looking so modern. I'm assuming that they were counting on people getting it from reading "statue of a sailor" and not really needing the photo. Because yeah, it was almost impossible to tell that it was a bird at the other end of the rope. And I was a little surprised that Alex just referred to it as a bird instead of the apt expression.
The photo certainly helped me. Once I realized it was a man tethered to a long-winged bird "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" came to mind immediately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:43 am
seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 am This definition contains the exact quoted phrase. There's your pin. If you can find one for "preemptive" with the same phrase, I'll concede.
So you're saying it was a fair clue because we should all remember exact phrases from the dictionary? I mean, I don't think anyone's arguing that they didn't get their wording from some dictionary's definition of "precaution" somewhere. And I don't think anyone's arguing that some dictionary somewhere uses that exact wording for the several other words that would otherwise fit the clue.
I didn't say it was fair, I said it was pinned because the clue was quoting verbatim (with quotation marks, to boot) from a dictionary definition of the word being clued. It's what I think of as a CYA pin: one that is in place only so TPTB have a solid excuse not to give credit for any other response that otherwise fits the (category and) definition. (Which is still not to say that I think any response that is only an adjective fits the definition, but I think "the clue was pinned" is a sturdier hill to die on.) I do think this type of pin, however, makes for lazy cluing and is an unsatisfying reason not to accept good-seeming responses. For example, if the clue had been the same but the category had been "PR"ESCHOOL instead of "PRE" SCHOOL, I likely would have responded with "prophylactic" and been in the same boat as hbomb (except for having responded with a word that has a noun definition). But given the definition I found, I'd grudgingly accept that no, "prophylactic" is not defined exactly as the clue quoted.
I'm not going to argue with you if you just meet me halfway like that. Sheesh.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:38 pm
Golf wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 pm
Did I hear her right, did she say the Rockies? A classic case of desperate guessing digging the hole even deeper.
Yep. Wrong team AND wrong sport, but otherwise not a bad guess. Poor lady's brain must have been totally fried by that point in the game.

And yeah, Ivan had a shot fired across his bow on Friday when he failed to make the $1-lockout bet from 1st place and could have been caught from behind in FJ but wasn't, because 2nd place bet "small."

He apparently learned nothing from the experience and did the same thing in this game, and it bit him in the butt. Oh well, maybe now, sitting at home and getting advice too late at his watch party, he realizes what he should have done.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:13 pm And yeah, Ivan had a shot fired across his bow on Friday when he failed to make the $1-lockout bet from 1st place and could have been caught from behind in FJ but wasn't, because 2nd place bet "small."
I wonder if Dennis used that information to his advantage. Is he a guy that just naturally goes all in from second place? Or did he realize that was a good strategy against this particular opponent?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dinghammer wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:24 am I know it's inconsistent with the entire history of the show, but I'd have loved to hear a "be less specific" for Guernsey.
Instaget FJ! and my first Monday get of the new season.
Yup, another case of too precise when missing the exact bulls-eye misses the entire target. I would have had the same with Marcus Allen; I blurted out "Oakland Raiders" when according to another poster he never played in Oakland, only in Los Angeles. Wonder if that would have been negged as the wrong team.

Ditto with the first Monday FJ. Hope that starts a trend!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm
dinghammer wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:24 am I know it's inconsistent with the entire history of the show, but I'd have loved to hear a "be less specific" for Guernsey.
Instaget FJ! and my first Monday get of the new season.
Yup, another case of too precise when missing the exact bulls-eye misses the entire target. I would have had the same with Marcus Allen; I blurted out "Oakland Raiders" when according to another poster he never played in Oakland, only in Los Angeles. Wonder if that would have been negged as the wrong team.

Ditto with the first Monday FJ. Hope that starts a trend!
Yes, I would neg Oakland as he never played there. But the Chiefs would be fine, though I couldn't remember his other employer.

And while baseball players are inducted as a member of a particular team, I can't imagine them negging any team a player played for unless it specified "primary" team.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:45 amI can never remember if Taylor is the FJ's middle or last name. I took a guess on it being the middle and got lucky today.
I get that confused sometimes because I went to Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Elementary School in 4th and 5th grades, which was way before I ever heard of Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.