Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 25, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by acthomas »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm And while baseball players are inducted as a member of a particular team, I can't imagine them negging any team a player played for unless it specified "primary" team.
If this ever happens, I will buy 107 beers for the person who proudly responds with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Wade Boggs.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:05 pm And while baseball players are inducted as a member of a particular team, I can't imagine them negging any team a player played for unless it specified "primary" team.
If this ever happens, I will buy 107 beers for the person who proudly responds with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Wade Boggs.
Wouldn't a bucket of chicken be more appropriate?
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:46 pm
Only *slightly* more appropriate. http://www.esquire.com/sports/news/a359 ... er-legend/
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow. Ivan's lack of wagering savvy really came back to bite him. When I saw Dennis's FJ wager, I said to myself "This is one time that an all-in bet from second makes some sense." When I saw Ivan's wager, I almost fell off the sofa. To compound matters, Ivan had all three DDs to make it a runaway, but his timidity cost him dearly. I also felt bad for Anupama, who seemed to be quite nervous up there. I got to Rime of the Ancient Mariner instantly (maybe even before the photo) but then had an awkward moment with the Poet's name until settling on Coleridge.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm
Only *slightly* more appropriate. http://www.esquire.com/sports/news/a359 ... er-legend/
Yowza. Had never seen that one. Chicken and beer ... breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack of champions.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:08 pm
acthomas wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:59 pm
Yowza. Had never seen that one. Chicken and beer ... breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snack of champions.
You work up a heck of a thirst and hunger balancing multiple wives, I guess...
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 am This definition contains the exact quoted phrase. There's your pin. If you can find one for "preemptive" with the same phrase, I'll concede.
That's not a pin because you can't retroactively rewrite the clue to cite to "The Free Dictionary." No citation was given; if the clue had said "The Free Dictionary defines . . ." or "Dictionary.com defines . . ." or something like that, then at least it would have been airtight. (It still would have been an awful clue because the contestants still would have had to guess which of several equally apt synonyms beginning with "pre" was being defined by that particular dictionary -- and on a $400 clue, no less.) But the quotation marks don't pin the clue in the absence of specificity about where the quote comes from. I mean, during the think music I could say to myself "A preventive is [the exact quoted phrase in the clue]" or "A pre-emptive action is [the exact quoted phrase in the clue]." Boom, my response has now "been defined" in those words.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

As depicted, The Ancient Mariner looked like Iggy Pop ready to drop into the halfpipe. Has the show ever devoted a category to bizarre contemporary statues? Ronaldo, Lucille Ball, etc. As for Anupama, I hope she knows she's a hero no matter what. Anyone can have a game go off the rails, regardless of breadth of knowledge and countless other factors. If certain websites are indeed piling on, that's despicable, and it's up to the true J! fans to counteract the snark. I too am happy to read the well wishes for her here.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:56 pm If certain websites are indeed piling on, that's despicable, and it's up to the true J! fans to counteract the snark.
In a way it's a back-handed compliment. Everyone wants to say "Look at me! I knew something that Jeopardy player didn't!"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:43 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 am This definition contains the exact quoted phrase. There's your pin. If you can find one for "preemptive" with the same phrase, I'll concede.
That's not a pin because you can't retroactively rewrite the clue to cite to "The Free Dictionary." No citation was given; if the clue had said "The Free Dictionary defines . . ." or "Dictionary.com defines . . ." or something like that, then at least it would have been airtight. (It still would have been an awful clue because the contestants still would have had to guess which of several equally apt synonyms beginning with "pre" was being defined by that particular dictionary -- and on a $400 clue, no less.) But the quotation marks don't pin the clue in the absence of specificity about where the quote comes from. I mean, during the think music I could say to myself "A preventive is [the exact quoted phrase in the clue]" or "A pre-emptive action is [the exact quoted phrase in the clue]." Boom, my response has now "been defined" in those words.
J! quotes without citations all the time, particularly when a clue wants contestants to name the speaker or writer of a particular quotation. By your logic you could ring in on such a clue (barring a category name like 19TH CENTURY DEMOCRATS or QUOTATIONS FROM BARTLETT'S), speak the quotation in the clue, and say, "Who is me?"
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:25 pm
J! quotes without citations all the time, particularly when a clue wants contestants to name the speaker or writer of a particular quotation. By your logic you could ring in on such a clue (barring a category name like 19TH CENTURY DEMOCRATS or QUOTATIONS FROM BARTLETT'S), speak the quotation in the clue, and say, "Who is me?"
Apples and oranges. And yes, there will typically be something in the clue about the speaker or time period, etc. to pin the clue and/or make sure they're asking for the first person credited with the quotation.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm
Apples and oranges. And yes, there will typically be something in the clue about the speaker or time period, etc. to pin the clue and/or make sure they're asking for the first person credited with the quotation.
Okay, yes. I've looked up a bunch of categories of quotations, and they don't let any of them stand alone.

Still, the clue said "it's defined," and the presumption that the clue is accurate at the time it is read doesn't allow players to define other words (however accurately) with identical verbiage in between the time it is read and the time they respond to it; after all, the clue didn't say the word "it will be defined."

edit: I didn't mention it, but The Free Dictionary includes a citation for the definition J! quoted; it's from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. For what it's worth.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 pm
Okay, yes. I've looked up a bunch of categories of quotations, and they don't let any of them stand alone.

Still, the clue said "it's defined," and the presumption that the clue is accurate at the time it is read doesn't allow players to define other words (however accurately) with identical verbiage in between the time it is read and the time they respond to it; after all, the clue didn't say the word "it will be defined."

edit: I didn't mention it, but The Free Dictionary includes a citation for the definition J! quoted; it's from the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. For what it's worth.
And if J! had bothered to say "is defined by American Heritage as" in the clue, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The discussion would solely have been about what a horrible, neg-baity clue it was.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 pm

And if J! had bothered to say "is defined by American Heritage as" in the clue, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. The discussion would solely have been about what a horrible, neg-baity clue it was.
No, I still would have worked in how some people seem to have trouble recognizing a noun's definition as such.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:23 pm

No, I still would have worked in how some people seem to have trouble recognizing a noun's definition as such.
If they had specifically tied it to the American Heritage definition, then "precaution" would have been the only acceptable answer (although they might have taken "precautionary," given the show's history of leniency on such matters).
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Coleridge, Coleridge, Coleridge. I'm committing that to memory because I knew instantly what poem they wanted, but couldn't come up with a name.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pmNo, I still would have worked in how some people seem to have trouble recognizing a noun's definition as such.
Preventative and preventive may be used as adjectives more often, but they can both be nouns, too.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am I agree with the newbie Threearuda that the NFL players were rather YEKIOYD coming out of the Baby Boomer era. Mean Joe Greene is more famous for the Coke (?) commercial than his NFL career.
True, but the iconic moment from that commercial is him throwing his Steelers jersey to the kid, which is probably why they thought it would be an easy get.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:53 pm
Yup, another case of too precise when missing the exact bulls-eye misses the entire target. I would have had the same with Marcus Allen; I blurted out "Oakland Raiders" when according to another poster he never played in Oakland, only in Los Angeles. Wonder if that would have been negged as the wrong team.

Ditto with the first Monday FJ. Hope that starts a trend!
In general, being as unspecific as possible is a good strategy. There's a tendency to want to show off. I feel it sometimes. And that's one more opportunity to get negged. It's up to J! to write questions that don't allow ambiguous answers to be called correct (there was an example recently with the author C.S. Lewis where it might have been reasonable to think the answer was Sinclair Lewis).

I think they'd have to call Oakland Raiders incorrect.

I think I remember a case where the answer was J.K. Rowling, and someone was showing off and answered, "Joanna K. Rowling." Well, her first name is Joanne, not Joanna. This might have been bar trivia, though. Memory is funny.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm No, I still would have worked in how some people seem to have trouble recognizing a noun's definition as such.
Good thing you didn't. That would have been embarrassing. The Free Dictionary offers definitions for "preventive" as both an adjective and a noun. "Preventative" is offered as "another form of preventive" so it can ride those coattails. "Preemptive" is on shakier ground free dictionarywise. But really just about any adjective can be used substantivally.