Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:21 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

Woppy T wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm
zerobandwidth wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm
#Sherbetgate2017
I usually pronounce it "sherbert" but would have said "sherbet" had I been on the show, since they wanted something ending with the same first three letters as sorbet.
Agreed, that seemed to be a degree of "narrowing" in the clue that suggested they were going to be more particular about it.

As someone whose college job was in an ice cream shop, I come down on the "sher-bet" side of #Sherbetgate2017.

On the other hand, it makes me wonder how the judges would have ruled in the "Three Straight Vowels" category if Austin had pronounced "lieutenant" as "LEF-TEN-ANT" (as the British).
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

User avatar
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KaladinStormblessed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm

boson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm
Integration and Derivatives missed. That is weak.

There are plenty of math-philes on Jeopardy, and they reap in the money. My favourite was giving Joon Pahk a daily double where he had to multiply and add... http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3725 . Kaching on the easiest true daily double. They also wager better and win where someone who doesn't know math would lose.

I really struggle with people who watch jeopardy and seem to value knowledge and education and yet are happy to call people who know math "math geeks". Math is beautiful, challenging and fun. For some reason it is a point of pride to profess ignorance of math (yes, I know you didn't KaladinStormblessed). Let's move beyond the tired stereotypes please.
Sorry to offend -- I don't use "geek" pejoratively at all. I happily call myself a "word nerd." Geeks come in all flavours and it takes all kinds :)

User avatar
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KaladinStormblessed » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:27 pm

zerobandwidth wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm
On the other hand, it makes me wonder how the judges would have ruled in the "Three Straight Vowels" category if Austin had pronounced "lieutenant" as "LEF-TEN-ANT" (as the British).
My guess is that it would be fine because "sherbert" is a variant spelling but "lieutenant" is always spelled the same way.

Kenny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:37 am

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Kenny » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:29 pm

SJ pre-emptied here in Houston by a press conference from Las Vegas, but got to watch DJ thank goodness. Lost pretty much all of Tuesday's episode for the same reason.

Will be looking forward to the j-board archives on these two episodes.

User avatar
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KellyLasiter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm
A bit of advice given to people when they get the call is to research what days their show will air to see if anything important is connected to that date in case it comes up on the show. By the look of his FJ response, Austin must have done that.
For what it's worth, I don't think I knew an exact date until I was in the studio and we were about to tape; I remember my packet of paperwork just saying "probably in early July" or something. (As it turned out, my air date was Thoreau's birthday, and we did get a category about it.) BUT--Austin probably did have dates. He had already been in the studio at least one day and would have seen the air dates of his earlier episodes, and he'd have had the chance to go home or to his hotel and read up on what was coming up the next week. I definitely think "taco" on national taco day was intentional.

User avatar
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm

That was quite a shock that Austin exposed a bit of weakness with an FJ! category like American Plays. I'm not sure whether that "taco" answer was just for laughs or did he write that to send a message that he was hungry?

Two food-related humor answers in FJ! that didn't follow the answer to the category, Ryan for Hot Pastrami Sandwiches and Austin for taco. XD

Jay met the worst fate to be the fortunate one to get it on a solo get, unfortunately didn't favor well for him because, alas, Austin pivoted another runaway game.

I tell you this, if you let the pressure off the gas pedal at any given moment when you're the Jeopardy! champ, that would pretty much give way for you to be exposed and someone will dethrone you off. Same can be said in college sports. If you let the enemy team come back from a big deficit and win, surely you'll feel terrible in the end. It happened on the UCLA and Texas A&M football game. Texas A&M had a 34-point lead over UCLA late in the 3rd quarter (44-10), and UCLA won by a point (44-45) thanks to some pivotal plays. You would have no idea how Texas A&M would have felt from seeing that defeat.

Austin, he's good by virtue of effort in his games, but if he hits one bad note in a song, like say on a DD, then that would leave a lot to be desired. His average went from almost $43,000 to about $39,757 in a split second. It's as if the air got let out of the balloon.

Remember Roger Craig? After his two wins where he won $114,000? It dropped sporadically. From $57,000 to $38,367 at the end of his 6 days.

But wow...I mean...wow...surely we all thought he was gonna be "Mister Perfect" for FJs.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1711
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 pm

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm
because, alas, Austin pivoted another runaway game.
I don't think you know what "pivoted" means, because that sentence makes no sense.
Remember Roger Craig? After his two wins where he won $114,000? It dropped sporadically.
I don't think you know what "sporadically" means, because that sentence really makes no sense.
But wow...I mean...wow...surely we all thought he was gonna be "Mister Perfect" for FJs.
No, we didn't all think that.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 260
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm

teapot37 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:08 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm
because, alas, Austin pivoted another runaway game.
I don't think you know what "pivoted" means, because that sentence makes no sense.
Remember Roger Craig? After his two wins where he won $114,000? It dropped sporadically.
I don't think you know what "sporadically" means, because that sentence really makes no sense.
But wow...I mean...wow...surely we all thought he was gonna be "Mister Perfect" for FJs.
No, we didn't all think that.
Austin had 6 FJs correct, and I thought he was gonna get lucky 7.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 6998
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 pm

mxc_takeshi wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:02 pm
Lach Trash: Richard Adams, beauty
The first one disappointed me. I wanted to see if they'd accept "Who is Adams?" I think that would require a BMS but the judges don't always agree with me.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4791
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Hey Ernie, you want some ice cream?
Sure, Bert!

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 am

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:56 pm
But wow...I mean...wow...surely we all thought he was gonna be "Mister Perfect" for FJs.
I was getting my Ben Ingram comparisons ready, but that's it.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 7955
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 am

None of those Classic Pop titles rang any bells except "Mack the Knife".

Kerouac = On the Road refuses to stick in my head yet again.

I clammed on "Concurrent" because I couldn't figure out how it had a stream in it.

Also clammed on "wipeout" because it didn't feel like it had three straight vowels.

Lach trash: derivative. I'm God-awful at math and still went 3/5 in that category.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 am

boson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm
KaladinStormblessed wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm
OSXpert wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm
Was not impressed with the calculus knowledge from the contestants.
No kidding! :shock: I flunked high school calculus and still ran the category. It was really just vocabulary. I guess Jeopardy doesn't attract math geeks.
Integration and Derivatives missed. That is weak.

There are plenty of math-philes on Jeopardy, and they reap in the money. My favourite was giving Joon Pahk a daily double where he had to multiply and add... http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3725 . Kaching on the easiest true daily double. They also wager better and win where someone who doesn't know math would lose.

I really struggle with people who watch jeopardy and seem to value knowledge and education and yet are happy to call people who know math "math geeks". Math is beautiful, challenging and fun. For some reason it is a point of pride to profess ignorance of math (yes, I know you didn't KaladinStormblessed). Let's move beyond the tired stereotypes please.
Plus, knowing about art and literature is so outdated in today's society and yet there are still categories about it that should be about math, science, or engineering. Math is an integral part of Jeopardy! in other countries versions, but yet for some reason, TPTB thinks it's too derivative here.

User avatar
KaladinStormblessed
Contributor
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KaladinStormblessed » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 am

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 am
Plus, knowing about art and literature is so outdated in today's society
As I clarified above, I wasn't intending to trash math or math lovers with my comment (actually, I was suggesting that the contestants should have had more math knowledge), and I don't think there's any need to throw art and literature under the bus to defend math. All branches of knowledge are important and fascinating in their own right. Art and literature are timeless in their role of engaging the imagination, examining humanity and inspiring with visions of what could be. "What could be" couldn't be without math and science, and we wouldn't imagine it and its implications without art. They are complementary pieces of a whole (a consilience, in E.O. Wilson's term) -- not competitors. I agree that it would be great to see more math on Jeopardy, but that doesn't speak to an inferior role for arts and literature.

User avatar
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OSXpert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am

Clarification on the sherbert ruling here:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... vs-sherbet

NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub
Posts: 258
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Toronto, Ont.

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by NoWhammies10 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am

Coryat: $26,600
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran King James for some reason. 3/5 on Classic Pop, Food & Drink (both usually strong suits).

Unfortunately have to agree with the judges here. Changing the pronunciation on "sherbet" vs. "sherbert" adds a letter and invalidates the "same last 3 letters" part of the clue.

Went with the golden ratio on the pi clue. I don't normally think of pi as a ratio. Damn it.

Instaget FJ!

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2537
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:00 pm
I read the play many years ago but don't recall much about other than a stage manager being part of it. I do not recall the longitude/latitude being given or a state being given. But the wording in the clue did seem to point to a town so I went with all I had and was rewarded for knowing something Austin didn't.
I'm also familiar with Our Town but did not recall the coordinates. As you say, the wording "did seem to point to a town" so Our Town was my semi-educated guess.

This may be my claim to fame for the season: I have now gotten one FJ right that Austin Powers, uh, Rogers, missed. Other than that this was a miserable game for me, so props to the contestants for doing as well as they did, even if it was sub-par for the champ.

slam
Auditioning Since 1985
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by slam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 am

boson wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 pm
KaladinStormblessed wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:54 pm
OSXpert wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm
Was not impressed with the calculus knowledge from the contestants.
No kidding! :shock: I flunked high school calculus and still ran the category. It was really just vocabulary. I guess Jeopardy doesn't attract math geeks.
Integration and Derivatives missed. That is weak.

There are plenty of math-philes on Jeopardy, and they reap in the money. My favourite was giving Joon Pahk a daily double where he had to multiply and add... http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3725 . Kaching on the easiest true daily double. They also wager better and win where someone who doesn't know math would lose.

I really struggle with people who watch jeopardy and seem to value knowledge and education and yet are happy to call people who know math "math geeks". Math is beautiful, challenging and fun. For some reason it is a point of pride to profess ignorance of math (yes, I know you didn't KaladinStormblessed). Let's move beyond the tired stereotypes please.
As a math major in college, I agree with you about the benefit of applying math skills to Jeopardy! In the calculus category, I certainly wasn't expecting them to ask a contestant to take a derivative or integral (though it might have been reasonable to ask someone to take the derivative of a polynomial with only a few terms or maybe even integrate e^x as the bottom clue). However, I was disappointed with their abysmal showing in the category.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:58 am

OSXpert wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:30 am
Clarification on the sherbert ruling here:

https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/features ... vs-sherbet
They properly pinned the clue. Austin fell into the trap.
John Boy wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:25 am
This may be my claim to fame for the season: I have now gotten one FJ right that Austin Powers, uh, Rogers, missed. Other than that this was a miserable game for me, so props to the contestants for doing as well as they did, even if it was sub-par for the champ.
Just to be clear, Austin Rogers is not Austin Powers. Austin Powers would beat him like a drum.

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1322
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Wednesday, October 4, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OntarioQuizzer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 pm

alietr wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:58 am
Just to be clear, Austin Rogers is not Austin Powers. Austin Powers would beat him like a drum.
It amuses me to picture our Austin Powers acting as Austin Rogers has been.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

Post Reply