Tuesday, October 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badgerfellow
One and Done

Re: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow »

disillusioned wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm I call foul on accepting "What is 'snipe'?" on that last clue, as the clue went out of its way to lead to the past-tense form of the verb ("What is 'sniped'?"). Upon further review of the scores, Austin would have had a lock either way (though counting against, it would have been much closer), but it's still surprising that the judges would be so willing to simply hand Austin more free money, given that they've been so brutally persnickety with rulings against other players during this run.

Austin was clearly more warmed up in this game than Monday's, but I thought Chris's momentum was going to carry him further after that big DD wager. For all his on-screen antics, you can tell when Austin puts his Game Face on and gets serious about pulling away.
Alex really didn't like this either. He called it out pretty aggressively in the break because they were obviously looking for past-tense, but when I asked Maggie she said there was precedent for accepting this sort of situation, so.

Opera is my kryptonite and knights aren't much better so DJ was stacked against me. :-/

Here are my dogs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLxhiywXqw
Hello again and congrats on a great showing! You definitely made it a very entertaining game throughout.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

disillusioned wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:14 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:02 pm I call foul on accepting "What is 'snipe'?" on that last clue, as the clue went out of its way to lead to the past-tense form of the verb ("What is 'sniped'?"). Upon further review of the scores, Austin would have had a lock either way (though counting against, it would have been much closer), but it's still surprising that the judges would be so willing to simply hand Austin more free money, given that they've been so brutally persnickety with rulings against other players during this run.

Austin was clearly more warmed up in this game than Monday's, but I thought Chris's momentum was going to carry him further after that big DD wager. For all his on-screen antics, you can tell when Austin puts his Game Face on and gets serious about pulling away.
Alex really didn't like this either. He called it out pretty aggressively in the break because they were obviously looking for past-tense, but when I asked Maggie she said there was precedent for accepting this sort of situation, so.

Opera is my kryptonite and knights aren't much better so DJ was stacked against me. :-/

Here are my dogs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niLxhiywXqw
They're adorable! :D
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

The Thames River in Connecticut is not pronounced the same way as the British river.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Chris - I was pulling for you buddy! Great bet on your DD. I get that you cratered on the FJ, I hope it doesn't haunt you.

I still don't think Austin is the next Ken Jensen :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Agree completely. I was flabbergasted when AT allowed it. The answer did not match the clue as given.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

disillusioned wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm 6) My brain refused to process some very basic clues. Pontoons? I just kept saying "float plane. float plane. doesn't fit the category. float plane." Don't know how NONE of us came up with "powerboat". And zoology was not stuff that was fresh in my brain either.
I came up with 'boat'... -600 to my Coryat. :(
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:27 pm
Agree completely. I was flabbergasted when AT allowed it. The answer did not match the clue as given.
Minor correction: AT didn't allow it. TPTB allowed it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Welcome, Disillusioned! you played a good game and went down swinging. On another day, in another game.... ugh. I enjoyed your play and your dogs are adorable.
brick

Post by brick »

My partner kept talking about the surname snafu during the show. We might need to have a discussion about how little I care about things like that while the game is rolling.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Saw no way to narrow down Yucatan/Baja when spotted only Mexico and peninsula.

Trans"po"tation and In Dispensible tripped me up. Seriously, why am I stinking up word categories lately?

Churchill/FDR/Stalin stumped me entirely. I found the category entirely YEKIOYD. I always thought "caucasian" was just another word for "white", so I was lost on picking Churchill vs. FDR.

However, I ran Zoology with ease.

Not even a guess on FJ!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 pm The Thames River in Connecticut is not pronounced the same way as the British river.
Absolutely right!

But I'm curious. Does anyone know the pronounciation of the Thames River in Ontario? Wiki doesn't have it.
OCSam
disillusioned

Post by disillusioned »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:06 pm Chris - I was pulling for you buddy! Great bet on your DD. I get that you cratered on the FJ, I hope it doesn't haunt you.

I still don't think Austin is the next Ken Jensen :lol:
More haunted by missing a few that mattered earlier. Would've been haunted if I got it right and Austin got it wrong and it came down to "snipe" vs. "sniped," though!
disillusioned

Post by disillusioned »

brick wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:04 am Welcome, Disillusioned! you played a good game and went down swinging. On another day, in another game.... ugh. I enjoyed your play and your dogs are adorable.
Thanks! Yeah, I was really grumbly when they called my name. Was hoping to go later in the day, maybe with a newer champion. Really curious how long he lasts. (I left immediately after my taping obviously.) I have high hopes for Manny on Friday. I was sitting next to him in the audience for the first episode and he was muttering some high quality answers to things I had no clue about.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That 'snipe' decision is why I'm always skeptical whenever the noun vs adjective debate crops up. It should be obvious, but these judges are too inconsistent.

1945 + 39 (plus a quote I vaguely recognize)? Thanks J! writers. I'll gladly pad my FJ %.

Good job, Chris. You acquitted yourself well. Don't worry about FJ, it happens (especially to me. A lot. And I'm not even under the lights).
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

World (4), Dictionary (2), Movie (1), Churchill/FDR/Stalin (4), "Po" (2), Writing (1)
Zoo (2), Sports (5), Newspaper (3), Dispensable (2), Knight (2), Opera (1)

Lach Trash: Norway, Benjamin Harrison

Instaget FJ.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

disillusioned wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:15 pm That all said, the experience was one of the most fun things I've ever done. It's so freaking cool to play the game and to just throw down. I'm barely on the cusp of people who should've qualified to be there, so it's not a surprise that I got beat, and I've definitely beat myself up for not going a bit more aggressive on a few things I knew, especially against an aggressive opponent, but whatever, I'll come back when Alex isn't hosting anymore!
I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of. Indeed you did very well and had Austin on the ropes quite a bit. You're right; DJ! does fly by all at once, and those high dollar amounts can produce some wild score swings. I'm not in the "hate Austin" camp but I sure do get excited when it looks like someone's about to become the giant-slayer, and you were playing that role convincingly until the very end. Don't sell yourself short. You did great up there. And as one of the coordinators told my run group, there are about 36,000 people who didn't get as far as you did this year. Sorry you had the same luck in the opponent draw that I did, but it's good to hear you were still able to enjoy the awesomeness that is Jeopardy!.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Welcome, Chris. I feel your pain on everything you enumerated. It's that way for a lot of us here. You get over it after a while. Plus you did have fun.

I'm not much of a dog person, but that video is really cute. But you knew that already.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

OrangeSAM wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 am
Woppy T wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:42 pm The Thames River in Connecticut is not pronounced the same way as the British river.
Absolutely right!

But I'm curious. Does anyone know the pronounciation of the Thames River in Ontario? Wiki doesn't have it.
Pronounced like the British river. Or as least as close as a Canadian accent can get.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Also, Britain doesn't have a Thames River.
Spoiler
It's got the River Thames.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One thing I can't figure out for the life of me (and maybe you know the answer, Chris). Why did they leave in Alex's two 'Rivers' comments and not just overdub them like they usually do with one of Alex's slips of the tongue?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Instaget FJ. Obviously it is one you could screw up if you get off track, but they gave you his age and year of his birth for a reason.