FJs for the 10/16/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 10/16/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:49 pm

In 2000 this company reported revenues of more than $100 billion; in 2001 it was bankrupt
91%
It's the only country that borders both the Caspian Sea & the Persian Gulf
74%
A 1796 medical experiment with an English farm girl ultimately led to this breakthrough announced in Geneva May 8, 1980
60%
He’s the only actor to win 3 Best Actor Oscars, the most recent for his portrayal of a U.S. President
81%
Her marriage to a European Crown Prince in the 16th century added Queen of Naples & Queen of Jerusalem to her titles
46%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
IN THE COOKIE JAR $1000: These Nabisco marshmallow cookies are made only from October to March so the chocolate won’t melt
26%
THE ELECTRIC COMPANY $1200: Rita Moreno, who played Carmela, was known for opening the show with this rousing 3-word cry
38%
ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: Radioactive element named for American chemist Glenn
50%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I guessed a country that does not touch the Caspian Sea
6%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I guessed a country that does not touch the Persian Gulf.
7%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I guessed a country that does not touch either of the Caspian Sea or the Persian Gulf.
6%
On Thursday I correctly named the bridge shown in THE BAKER $1600 clue as a cantilever bridge.
42%
I have seen at least one of the movies: "My Left Foot", "There Will Be Blood", or "Lincoln."
58%
Elizabeth I was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
18%

Total votes: 125

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 10/16/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

10/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2000 this company reported revenues of more than $100 billion; in 2001 it was bankrupt

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ASIAN GEOGRAPHY

10/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It's the only country that borders both the Caspian Sea & the Persian Gulf

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC CONNECTIONS

10/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1796 medical experiment with an English farm girl ultimately led to this breakthrough announced in Geneva May 8, 1980

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR WINNERS

10/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He’s the only actor to win 3 Best Actor Oscars, the most recent for his portrayal of a U.S. President

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH MONARCHS

10/20 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Her marriage to a European Crown Prince in the 16th century added Queen of Naples & Queen of Jerusalem to her titles

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Enron
Iran
eradication of smallpox
Daniel Day-Lewis
Mary I (Tudor - "Bloody Mary") (Wrong - Mary Stuart or Mary Queen of Scots)
The players were 7/15 (46.67%) with a 2-0-1-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have three requests with one correct followed by two triple stumpers.

IN THE COOKIE JAR $1000: These Nabisco marshmallow cookies are made only from October to March so the chocolate won’t melt

THE ELECTRIC COMPANY $1200: Rita Moreno, who played Carmela, was known for opening the show with this rousing 3-word cry

ON THE PERIODIC TABLE $2000: Radioactive element named for American chemist Glenn

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler

Mallomars
Hey you guys!
seaborgium
Image for the bridge clue:

The clue had two different images and a lot of words not displayed, so I'm taking the shortcut here and with the poll not making it a regular extra one.

In the posts it looked like A ZERO SUM GAME got sorted out and I did not need to poll the Stewart Copeland clue.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 10/16/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

not even close on the smallpox clue
Could not recall Mallomars in time although I remember Rosie O'Donnell raving about them on her show.
I've heard of The Electric Company and it's possible I may have (though not sure) seen an episode, but no chance on getting Moreno's opening. So sue me.
Clam on the bridge as I was thinking trestle and knew that was not right.
I have seen 2nd & 3rd of DDL winners.
Catherine of Aragon for Friday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm giving myself "Mary" not necessarily because I think the name alone would be accepted, but because I think I would have put "I" after it had I been writing it.

I thought of Mallomars, but I didn't pull the trigger.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :( :(

Pacemaker (desperation guess); Mary, Queen of Scots
The Electric Company was before my time, but I'm pretty sure that was my only miss in the category (and the only clue that required actual knowledge of the show).
No guess on cantilever.
I think the only DDL movie I've seen is Gangs of New York.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Mallomar would've been a DD get...I think...

:mrgreen: Cantilever
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: My Left Foot, There Will Be Blood, Lincoln
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Very familiar with Mallomars
Know of The Electric Company, but never saw an episode.
Have seen the first two of the DDL movies, did not see Lincoln. Favorite DDL movie is Last of the Mohicans.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Missed Smallpox. I knew the early event was about smallpox or cowpox, but I guess I was looking for something more "active" for a breakthrough and said cloning a sheep, because a sheep is almost like a cow. Also, are we not still keeping that sample down at the CDC?

Haven't seen any of DD-L's Oscar turns, but that is a pretty basic piece of trivia.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :( :(
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Like Tom, I forgot the damned category on Friday's FJ. I think I would have pulled Mary I if I had remembered that it had to be a British monarch, but I didn't. :oops:
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Saudi Arabia and cloning... :oops:
I can live with not being able to identify a cantilever bridge...and never having looked up seaborgium...Mallomars, on the other hand... ;)
Seen all the movies.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Of course Seaborgium was an instaget. They were up to 104 when I graduated College and even then I thought the whole exercise of creating phony elements was a bogus Nobel prize scam. Today it's just fake news. No scientific value, no use to mankind.

Got the bridge, simply because I couldn't quite pull "cable stay" from my brain, and hopefully would have known it wasn't. I just named it for what I saw and didn't know that was a bridge type.

Got DDL absolutely only because of previous J! mentions (I don't know when/what). This may be my first verifiable correct answer from knowledge gained on the show. At least it is for FJ. I put the name with Lincoln and had no other wrong answers to reject.

I took credit for smallpox assuming it would have been my Hail Mary over my weaker choices of IVF or cloning. I couldn't take them to a farm girl but likewise got befuddled by the modern link to smallpox.

I went with Turkey and still do not know if it borders either body of water. Elizabeth I simply because I know she was ca. 1600's from an old Beverly Hills episode where Granny transposes her with the young E2.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( ( :mrgreen: )

19 in a row.

Got seaborgium just after the buzzer. Got cantilever. I think I've seen My Left Foot. I know I've seen TWBB. Haven't seen Lincoln.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Breaking radio silence to note idly that my FJ! streak is currently at 21. Excluding College Championships, Teen Tournaments and Kids and Celebrity weeks, I have never before had a run longer than 8 or 9.

Judging by the past few polls, the current season has so far had easier-than-average FJ!s, so it isn't surprising that there are others with impressive streaks going. And the board clues Mark has chosen the past few weeks haven't been nearly as kind to me.

Still, it feels pretty cool.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Another coulda woulda shoulda week. I agree with the criticism of the word "breakthrough" in the smallpox clue. But as proved by 61% of responders, the clue was eminently gettable anyway.

I got the cantilever bridge clue because I've seen Vertigo. There's a scene where Jimmy Stewart and Barbara Bel Geddes are examining a new bra design. She explains that it was designed by an aircraft engineer and works on the principle of a cantilever bridge.

Of the Oscar-winning performance movies, I've only seen There Will Be Blood. I've also seen DDL in A Room with a View, The Last of the Mohicans, The Age of Innocence, and In the Name of the Father. He's only done 19 films, so three Academy Awards and two nominations is extra impressive. I mean, he's no John Cazale, but still. :D
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Also a :( for the cantilever bridge clue.
Not a good week for me. :oops:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

I managed to memorize a mnemonic for Henry VIII's wives, but not his successors, so I never can remember the difference between "Bloody Mary" and "Mary, Queen of Scots" (and the clue wording seemed to be teasing the latter). Oh well.

Instaget on seaborgium. I've read both of Rhodes' bomb books (utterly fascinating and well written) and Glenn Seaborg is mentioned frequently.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I did get Seaborgium. I don't think Mallomars are available where I live.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (for the cantilever)
Turkey on Tuesday, missing both bodies of water. Whiff!
I have seen My Left Foot and Lincoln.
No good guess on Friday. I was pretty sure Elizabeth I never married. I guessed Lady Jane Grey; then it occurred to me that she wouldn't be a monarch (I learned that from econgator) but I didn't have time to make another guess. Apparently I'm in the right century, which is basically luck.

A little too excited to get seaborgium and "Hey You Guys!" (complete with the descending minor third in "guys").

323352, 18-12