Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Wednesday, December 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Woof wrote:
trainman wrote:
Vanya wrote:Tampa Bay also had the gayest logo when they started out.
Them's fightin' words -- it's a dashing pirate, not a gay pirate.

But, yes, I realize the fact that the logo character's name is "Bucco Bruce" doesn't help.
I think that it was more about the color choice initially. FJ wasn't an instaget, but I only had to mentally go through the few teams that entered the league in that era to arrive at the right answer. I surprised myself by doing well on the Classic Films cat (my performance in TD 144 attests to my level of knowledge in that area) and got a bit of Lach Trash in what was a well-played game.
It was all of the above -- plus the ineptness of the team (and given the rules for expansion teams of the era and the lack of a true free agent market then didn't help either.) Was this the squad that Coach John McKay, when asked about his team's execution, said "I'm in favor of it"?

It also didn't help the "home" team morale when most of the folks in the stands were transplants from other parts of the country, and were there to root for "their" team (e.g., Giants, Cowboys, Bills).

They did improve immensely after the Creamsicle Corsairs became the Pirates of Pewter!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:That comment seemed quite out of line to me, essentially telling the other players that Jason may be strong in this category. Sure, they were watching from the audience on Monday, but that doesn't mean that they would have specifically remembered Jason running that category. After all, he was just a 1-day champion at that point and they were seeing him for the first time, so it wouldn't have been like they were generating a full scouting report in anticipation of meeting him.
Or it may have been him explaining to us why the audience was "ooo"ing upon category reveal (which *I* thought was very strange for the _audience_ to do!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

I also thought the first round was easier than usual, as I ran the first 4 categories and was feeling pretty smug. I hit a minor wall in the last 2 (which I don't recall being terrible categories for me) and ended up 25-0, 5 clams.

Yeah, Jason dodged another bullet but won this fair and square when he correctly answered FHJ and the leader didn't. I should also like the NFL category since I've been a fan all my adult life. But I know the writers are famous (at least in my mind) for finding things I don't know in my supposedly strong areas. I managed to pull Seattle out at about the 20-second mark.

Many congrats to Jason. Wonder how good a Christmas week this will be for him.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It won't be a good Christmas week for him until at least 120 days from now (OK, it might be less, but the clock might not be starting quite yet).
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

jeff6286 wrote:I feel Alex may have overestimated Jason's football knowledge based on the Bowl Games category, if he really took a long time to write down that response. That comment seemed quite out of line to me, essentially telling the other players that Jason may be strong in this category. Sure, they were watching from the audience on Monday, but that doesn't mean that they would have specifically remembered Jason running that category. After all, he was just a 1-day champion at that point and they were seeing him for the first time, so it wouldn't have been like they were generating a full scouting report in anticipation of meeting him.
I dunno, jeff6286, I paid awfully close attention to everyone who went before me, both in actual game play and in the practice rounds. Also, running a category is so rare that I feel like Jason would already be on their radar. Maybe I'm being overly protective of Alex, but I don't think he said anything out-of-line.

Kudos to Janemarie for a nice comeback and not completely wimping-out on her Daily Double wagering.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:I think "Juris Doctorate" is unacceptable for "Juris Doctor," right? :roll:
I said "Juris Doctoris," not sure if that's legit or not either. I suspect not.
I'm staring at my law school diploma, which says "Juris Doctoris" on it (actually, it says "Iuris Doctoris"). Should I put in for a refund?

Also, on the FJ, I started in the west and headed east. Figured any team added in the 1970s was more likely to be in the west. I was apparently wrong on my assumption, but it got me where I needed to be.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Creed Bratton wrote:Also, on the FJ, I started in the west and headed east. Figured any team added in the 1970s was more likely to be in the west. I was apparently wrong on my assumption, but it got me where I needed to be.
Ummm ... where is Seattle again?
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Creed Bratton wrote:Also, on the FJ, I started in the west and headed east. Figured any team added in the 1970s was more likely to be in the west. I was apparently wrong on my assumption, but it got me where I needed to be.
Ha...I meant I was wrong in my assumption that any team added in the 1970s was more likely to be in the west. Apparently it was only Seattle and Tampa Bay.

What a way to blow my first post on here. :D
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Creed Bratton wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Ha...I meant I was wrong in my assumption that any team added in the 1970s was more likely to be in the west. Apparently it was only Seattle and Tampa Bay.

What a way to blow my first post on here. :D
Nah, you're fine. Re-reading the original text with your explanation in mind, I see it makes perfect sense. Welcome to the board.
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote: I assume my answer of "the 18th amendment" for "21st $400" would be correct ("prohibition" did come to mind as well, but I thought it sounded better with the clue worded the way it was), but is "Girl Guides" acceptable for "Girl Scouts" in "Separation $200"? (The "Brownies" part made me jump on that, as my daughter, who is in Girl Guides, was in Brownies last year.)
I had to double-check this to be sure, but no, "GIrl Guides" would be incorrect, as they use different names to delineate the levels of membership.
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

I said Girl Guides, too, but figured it was a Canuck thing when the answer came up Girl Scouts. Do y'all have "Girl Scout Cookies" or "Girl Guide Cookies"??
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

My experience of this FJ (paraphrasing to equal what my brain perceived): "These 2 mid-70s expansion teams..." (ok, Seattle Seahawks and Tampa Bay Buccaneers) "...blah blah first 3 letters blah blah..." (Ok, it's Seattle!) - all before Alex was through reading. And for those who are keeping track, I am female, and I was a young teen in the mid-70s so I do actually remember this happening. I was still stunned (at first - yelling at the TV) it wasn't a triple get, since to me it just couldn't be any easier than that. But, I would've had to go through my carefully studied mental list of teams if it had been any other sport.
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

My heart really sunk for Janemarie upon the reveal of the FJ category. I thought she was a likeable contestant, very steely behind the eyes and she carried herself very well (in addition to nailing some clues that completely blanked me). I especially liked her wager on the first DD, gasped when she negged two clues in a row to almost put the game out of reach for Jason, and then went crazy when she bet big and took the lead as the round ended. There wasn't a Zergcam, but I imagine Alex had to have seen an expression on Janemarie's face that would have prompted his "uh oh" comment. I honestly doubt she was going for anything in particular with that two-letter response. Somewhere in the back of her mind she has surely heard "Seattle Seahawks" before, but there just wasn't enough there to steer her in the right direction. Very disappointed for her.

As for FJ itself, I immediately struck everyone from the NFC North (I'm a Packer fan/owner :)) and then worked my way from east to west (wrong way!). Pulled out the correct response with about five seconds to go. Don't know if I would've had time to write it down, but I wasn't keeping score, so I'll count it as a yes. (On a side note, would just "Seahawks" have been acceptable? I don't recall anything in the clue asking for the franchise's entire name; sounded like they were just going for the team nickname.)

I don't remember much from the board given the drama, and I'll have to wait for the archive to come up, but there was a fourth-row clue ($800 or $1600) that was worded almost exactly like a FJ from a few years ago and had the same correct response. First time in a while (that I can recall, anyway) that a previous FJ directly helped me answer a clue that showed up on a later show.
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
messyjesse
Contributor

Post by messyjesse »

vellore wrote:I said Girl Guides, too, but figured it was a Canuck thing when the answer came up Girl Scouts. Do y'all have "Girl Scout Cookies" or "Girl Guide Cookies"??
Girl Scout Cookies down here in the States. Quite popular.

I've never heard of Girl Guides outside of that long-winded spiel Pete Townshend gives to the audience on the Live at Leeds album before the band breaks into "A Quick One While He's Away." 8-)
"No man is an island, so they say, although the small crustaceans and the bird which sat impassively on Dirk Manhope's chest as he floated lazily in the pool would probably disagree."
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Well, it's true, the last DD wager gave her a chance to not get locked out on a miss, but I can't say I'm a fan. She was obviously not hopeless in the category. It looked good when she hit the nice parlay of 1) her getting one of the last two questions and 2) champ not getting any of them.

I'm not surprised Jason's still playing. He's dodged a few bullets and I wouldn't be shocked to see some smooth sailing up ahead for him. I absolutely think he's a TOC-caliber player and if someone were to give me great odds right now I wouldn't mind putting a bet on him to win the whole thing.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

omgwheelhouse wrote:if someone were to give me great odds right now I wouldn't mind putting a bet on him to win the whole thing.
Considering there's an extremely good chance you haven't seen any of the other 14 players yet, that's being quite presumptuous (after all, we haven't heard anything from Schliemann lately, take that as you will ;) )

Myself, I'd put Jason possibly at silver level, but absolutely no higher. Had I only seen his first two or so games, I'd have put him at bronze.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Myself, I'd put Jason possibly at silver level, but absolutely no higher. Had I only seen his first two or so games, I'd have put him at bronze.
Silver's a good place for him right now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'm probably in the minority, but I always liked the old Tampa Bay logo. A dude with a sword in his teeth, that always looked tough to me.

i also miss the old Patriots helmet logo.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i think plaxico was doing it wrong.