Wheel Audition Hints?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wheel Audition Hints?

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:02 am
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:24 am I did not get picked. But I only stayed for one session. Anand, the champion from this week, did get picked in my session.
Odd he got picked so close to his J! appearance.
It's literally pulling slips of paper out of a hopper.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I went to over a dozen Wheelmobile events before I got on the show. I've had all of the following happen:

* Got onstage, got invited back to second audition, didn't pass second autidion (I got all the way to the end and passed the written test...)

* Didn't get onstage, but my mom did (she didn't get invited back)

* Got onstage, didn't get invited back to second audition

* Didn't get onstage, got invited back to second audtion anyway, passed second audition, and will be on the show!
Prizes
Just Started Her First Lap in the Jeopardy! Pool!

Post by Prizes »

Wheatley wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:06 am Is there a Wheelmobile or other audition schedule available? The official site just says to follow Twitter and my local TV station.
Secondary auditions with quizzes are like Jeopardy ones, typically only announced by email, not said to the public, although typically I hear of when they happen. As for the Wheelmobile events themselves, this thread fairly consistently has updates about where they've gone, where they will be, etc.

To contrast with TPH, my story as follows with Wheel an the like:

-Did a Wheelmobile event at a local mall when I was around 10-12. Obviously, couldn't partake beyond just watching.

-Went to Wheelmobile event in late 2013 to meet up with a fellow admin of my page, Robert. Went both days with a massive sign, was not called, nor was Robert.

-Got audition regardless, but possibly because I applied online -or- random draw. As Marty likes to say, just because you aren't picked at the event doesn't mean you won't get an audition, as a few names are randomly picked to get an audition anyway.

-January, 2014, audition at a local hotel. 11-13 of 16 puzzles right. Hyper-enthusiastic and made it past the test easily. Never called a dud, only got to play two puzzles when everyone else played three who made it post test. Was not asked to do another (further eval) puzzle after my initial puzzle but prior to the quiz. No letter, but a friend got one. Was told in the lobby by fellow auditioners how they'd 'see me in LA', which wound up true for those two, were flown out within 10 days. Was asked to look a bit more smile-y when smiling, which I did immediately and they liked it. Was so focused on solving the puzzle!

-May 2016, submit video for auditioning. Within a week or two, get a letter for auditioning in Brooklyn the following month.

-June 2016, audition, with the support of my friend Robert, who since went viral for his solves that March, was set to re-air that Saturday. Felt a good omen. Got 12-14 puzzles right on audition quiz, never called an incorrect letter. No lettered my mock puzzle, which, sadly, I didn't get to start, so just bought lots of vowels to show I knew strategy. Was not asked to stay, but not necessarily a bad thing--it just means a determination was made one way or the other, which is a confusing concept. If they want more of you these days, just means they want to see a little more of you, are unsure.

They wanted another smile out of me when calling a letter initially, which, again, complied. Was still SUPER excited to be auditioning, wound up solving with a mock $20K+. I kept spinning to show them more energy after a $5,000 hit for multiple consonants -and- the fact I'm a gambler, a player of risk. I was LOUD. Nearly half of my fellow auditioners in the lobby go up to me to tell me what a solid job I did again, wondering why I wasn't called back for the second part, I'm a lock, know how to play really well, etc. No letter. Two friends get letters from auditions in this same block.

...yeah, I'm kinda frustrated but doesn't mean I don't keep trying. Heck, in the Jeopardy pool right now as it were, which is keeping my hopes up to some extent for the next 10 months, though truthfully have my doubts there. Good quiz, not the best mock game by results, though good buzzer speed.
Last edited by Prizes on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:51 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:31 pm
You have no idea how many people have joked that I should wear a fursuit on Wheel. I don't think they'd allow that.
Is Bob Barker hosting now?
If he is, considering his tagline, I'd be doubly cautious about wearing a fursuit.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:16 pm I went to over a dozen Wheelmobile events before I got on the show. I've had all of the following happen:

* Got onstage, got invited back to second audition, didn't pass second autidion (I got all the way to the end and passed the written test...)

* Didn't get onstage, but my mom did (she didn't get invited back)

* Got onstage, didn't get invited back to second audition

* Didn't get onstage, got invited back to second audtion anyway, passed second audition, and will be on the show!
It seems like, like J!, perseverance is key in Wheel as well.

Thanks, TPH, posts like these inspire failed pool swimmers like me, even if it's for a different show.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

Regarding the mock game, would they rather you take lots of spins, or solve it as quickly as you can?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wheatley wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:53 pm Regarding the mock game, would they rather you take lots of spins, or solve it as quickly as you can?
They seem to prefer lots of spins. I solved my first puzzle pretty early at the mock game, and the host asked why I didn't keep spinning. I said it was because I wanted to protect my lead and also, it was a Prize Puzzle.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I'll take this opportunity to promote this post from my blog, which reposts a 1994 article about Wheel of Fortune auditions from Sassy magazine.

http://theycallittrivia.blogspot.com/20 ... sassy.html

The photo on page 2 is especially interesting.