Thursday, November 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Thursday, November 9, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Foretopman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am Have they ever done a category like "Where & When" before? I really liked it, at least partially because it felt new and different.
I think it's a good TOC level category. It requires either a lightning-fast mind or the confidence to ring in first and then formulate your response.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

I was sorry that Seth shot himself in the foot with a couple of pretty easy misses - Pearl Harbor on a Friday (really?) and 1788. But for those, he might have been looking good for a spot in the next round.

I was also sorry to see Sam go - was it just me or did he look like he maybe wasn't feeling well? He came up with some good responses to pull himself up into contention pending FJ, and then his guess was pretty solid given that he probably had no idea about the connection with apples and instead, came up with the next most likely (and easiest) crop to sell on a street corner.

But all of these folks are pretty likable and obviously, they can't all make it through. I hope they feel great about having made it to the TOC!
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:06 am
Foretopman wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am Have they ever done a category like "Where & When" before? I really liked it, at least partially because it felt new and different.
I think it's a good TOC level category. It requires either a lightning-fast mind or the confidence to ring in first and then formulate your response.
I did well on the category at home, but your comment points out exactly why I will probably never be a contestant: I have neither a lightning-fast mind nor the confidence to ring in first (or the reflexes, for that matter) and then formulate my response. Oh well.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Judges: "Parma" for "Prosciutto"? I recall the clue asked for the name of the ham, not the sliced product that can be made from the ham.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:27 pm I'm checking the box that says I knew it was apples but didn't guess Washington. I figured New York's a big apple-producing state and it's got a big city that has lots of street corners. Sure, Washington's bigger NOW. But in the '30s? I really thought I'd get this one.
Like you, I did get as far as apples. And the idea of apples being sold on corners tickled some memories. But since I'm in NY and it's known for apples, I went with that as my answer. Washington occurred to me, but I still got it wrong.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am Judges: "Parma" for "Prosciutto"? I recall the clue asked for the name of the ham, not the sliced product that can be made from the ham.
Prosciutto is Parma ham, so I'd think that they'd have to give it to you.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,800
40 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: prosciutto; Orange River; term insurance; bond; Oahu, Sunday; Delaware, 1787 (DD); Asia, First Millennium B.C.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm "Selling apples to get through the Great Depression" isn't as obvious a cliche as I thought. Ok. Hats off to Lisa for knowing it.
Same reaction here. I expected this to bet an easy triple get.
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:45 pm I'm just wondering why they had Kid's Week FJs on Monday and Tuesday, a regular show FJ on Wednesday, and finally a TOC-level FJ today.
Tuesday's clue was definitely not Kids' Week-level. (After all, two of the three contestants missed it.) You're much stronger on geography than the average contestant.
heppm01 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:34 am Judges: "Parma" for "Prosciutto"? I recall the clue asked for the name of the ham, not the sliced product that can be made from the ham.
The clue specified that the ham in question was mentioned in the the classic 1622 Italian poem "The Rape of the Bucket," so, unfortunately, that's a neg.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Despite living in Washington the only state I could think of with a strong association to a particular crop was Idaho and potatoes. Although I couldn't quite rationalize people selling potatoes on the street during the depression I couldn't come up with anything better. Can't say I've ever heard of selling apples being associated with the Great Depression before.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm Despite living in Washington the only state I could think of with a strong association to a particular crop was Idaho and potatoes. Although I couldn't quite rationalize people selling potatoes on the street during the depression I couldn't come up with anything better. Can't say I've ever heard of selling apples being associated with the Great Depression before.
Wait, what? You're in the state with Aplets and Cotlets and apples didn't come to you? ;)
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:22 pm
The clue specified that the ham in question was mentioned in the the classic 1622 Italian poem "The Rape of the Bucket," so, unfortunately, that's a neg.
I believe the phrase "Parma ham" is a translation of prosciutto di Parma, so if that's what's in the poem then it's got to be accepted.
The Italian text is available online but I can't find the reference there
https://www.liberliber.it/mediateca/lib ... cchi12.htm
nor in old available English translations, though the city Parma is mentioned several times.

Perhaps J! got the clue from here-
http://www.parmacrown.com/wp-content/up ... uction.pdf
tying it specifically to prosciutto di Parma.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've just searched texts of "La Secchia Rapita" (Italian title) for the word "prosciutto" and have turned up nothing. They might have to accept Parma ham, or just "Parma" (since "ham" is already in the clue).

That unhelpful pin reminds me of when they tried to do that for an FJ response of "burqa," saying "hijab... can include" it and that it was "mentioned by Kipling." Tom Kunzen negged and dropped to zero with his response of sari. Too bad for J! that plenty of Muslims do include a sari in their hijab dress, and Kipling did mention a "saree" in his writings. J! had to send Tom a $1,000 check to bump him up to the second place money he should have gotten.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:38 pm Despite living in Washington the only state I could think of with a strong association to a particular crop was Idaho and potatoes. Although I couldn't quite rationalize people selling potatoes on the street during the depression I couldn't come up with anything better. Can't say I've ever heard of selling apples being associated with the Great Depression before.
Wait, what? You're in the state with Aplets and Cotlets and apples didn't come to you? ;)
I know what those are, but can't say I recall ever actually trying one. Are they good?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Having now done the tiniest bit of research possible (i.e. checking wikipedia), and for those who, like me, had never heard the word "Manga" before today but are too embarrassed to admit it, here goes.

Manga is basically Japanese comic books. They have a long history, possibly dating back as far as the 11th or 12th centuries CE. They became pretty popular in the mid-1800s and have been growing since. They are closely related to Anime, which is basically the [stop] motion version of Manga, using a similar style of drawing.

There you go. Enough info to get you into trouble, not enough to get you out.
--Peter
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:51 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:59 pm
I know what those are, but can't say I recall ever actually trying one. Are they good?
I like them. As you know, they're Washington's version of Turkish Delight so they're an old-fashioned kind of sweet - which is to say that they're not super-sweet and the texture is chewy - a bit like a gumdrop but maybe more firm? And they've apparently been around for 99 years so someone out there likes them - if only to bring along as gifts to friends/family out of state.
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:24 pm
I believe the phrase "Parma ham" is a translation of prosciutto di Parma, so if that's what's in the poem then it's got to be accepted.
The Italian text is available online but I can't find the reference there
https://www.liberliber.it/mediateca/lib ... cchi12.htm
nor in old available English translations, though the city Parma is mentioned several times.

Perhaps J! got the clue from here-
http://www.parmacrown.com/wp-content/up ... uction.pdf
tying it specifically to prosciutto di Parma.
I found the references! The original uses a variant spelling, presciutto

The principal mention is in Canto 7 Verse 21.
This is about someone selling princely titles cheap - "for a ham"
Voluce fe' quel dí prove mirande
e uccise di sua man trenta marchesi,
però che i marchesati in quelle bande
si vendevano allor pochi tornesi;
anzi vi fu chi per mostrarsi grande
si fe' investir d'incogniti paesi
da un tal signor, che per cavarne frutto
i titoli vendea per un presciutto.

Another use is in Canto 2 Verse 32. A chef is introduced as "mastro Presciutto," Don Bacon in the English translation I consulted...
So no connection to Parma, but also, since prosciutto can just mean ham, no certainty (despite what that promotional website says) that the author's referring to prosciutto crudo, the dried ham that we associate with Parma ham today. I think we have to allow it!
This was a nice distraction from some of the more pressing matters I had to deal with today...
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

at first I tried to think of a big cotton state--cotton for shoeshine rags :roll: Realized I was way overthinking this and remembered apples--Washington halfway thru.
jgrishow1
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jgrishow1 »

Didn't Alexander the Great die in the 4th Millennium BC (323 BC) and not the 1st?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

jgrishow1 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:36 pm Didn't Alexander the Great die in the 4th Millennium BC (323 BC) and not the 1st?
323 BC would be the 4th century BC. (I had a similar thought when watching, then I realized my error.)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Didn't Alexander the Great die in the last millennium BC?
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

Haha.

Shoutouts to this image from my old history book: [image]i.pinimg.com/originals/f5/b4/34/f5b434812ebe3b1a358f9e47cc5a62fd.jpg[/image]