Learned League 75 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 75 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Vermonter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am When I saw yesterday’s answers, I realized I had done a bad job of assigning points. I said to myself, man, I kinda hope PrussC just got them all right, so I can keep my high DE.

Lucky(?) for me, she obliged. Congrats!
Thank you, I was pleasantly surprised to see that three guesses were actually right (and you were spot on with your points assignment, too). I don't think I will be sitting atop A Magnolia for very long. :-)
LL is a harsh mistress. I am 2 behind you in TCA, 2 behind you in TMP, my DE is 16 points higher, and I lead the rundle in 3-pointers. Yet you're in first, and I'm flirting with relegation.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:25 am This time in B Pac looks almost the same as my last time in B. I'm on track to have my second best TCA (95 vs 97, my last time in B), by FAR my best DE (.837 vs .770, my last time in B), and sadly, my record CAA of 108. So far, only in 3 matches have I had 3 or fewer correct against me and one of those was a forfeit.
I'll add 1 to that list. Which is more than the number of points I got yesterday.

I knew zydeco and tin/stannic but couldn't come up with them. No way was I going to come up with Misty Copeland, the Jeffersons Theme, or Screwtape.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am
cmp146 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 pm
Vermonter wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am When I saw yesterday’s answers, I realized I had done a bad job of assigning points. I said to myself, man, I kinda hope PrussC just got them all right, so I can keep my high DE.

Lucky(?) for me, she obliged. Congrats!
Thank you, I was pleasantly surprised to see that three guesses were actually right (and you were spot on with your points assignment, too). I don't think I will be sitting atop A Magnolia for very long. :-)
LL is a harsh mistress. I am 2 behind you in TCA, 2 behind you in TMP, my DE is 16 points higher, and I lead the rundle in 3-pointers. Yet you're in first, and I'm flirting with relegation.
You have 76 correct answers against, cmp146 has 63. That is indeed harsh.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am LL is a harsh mistress. I am 2 behind you in TCA, 2 behind you in TMP, my DE is 16 points higher, and I lead the rundle in 3-pointers. Yet you're in first, and I'm flirting with relegation.
Yes, she is, and a strange one. Good luck in staying above the bar.

I have finished dead middle (13th place) 4 of the last 5 LLs, so being in first place is very very strange. I am having an above average season for me, with a higher projected TCA of 116 (last season was 99), and my opponents are obliging me with a forfeit win yesterday, and others not having a good day against me. My second day at the top of the leader board has me shaking my head in disbelief. My imposter syndrome is growing.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I managed to drink my first beer of the season. Neither Q1 nor Q4 were classified as Theatre, but that's the way I got both of them: knew Copeland because of her stint in An American in Paris*, knew Screwtape by getting emails advertising a production of The Screwtape Letters. Got Lesotho because of that recent FJ! I didn't think "beans" made any sense, but that's what it sounded like in my head and I didn't have a better guess, so I went with it.

In other news, my referral OSXpert is leading his division!

In other other news, the Midseason Classic is this weekend. Go Pacific Prairie!

Edited: *I apparently was thinking of Copeland in On the Town. Fortunately a harmless "duh".
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I managed to come up with 5 possibilities for Capricorn: the correct four and Mauritius (it's...slightly farther north than I imagined.) Good ol logic came to the rescue. "Swaziland is north of Lesotho, so if Lesotho is on or north of the Tropic, Swazi must be too, which leaves -3- countries. Ergo, Lesotho must be fully south of the Tropic."

Successful get of zero points! :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

After last season's humiliations for me, this season has seemed comparatively easy and, after several seasons of indifferent defense, all of a sudden I'm unconscious with my defensive choices, having giving up 6 UfPA so far for a DE of .850. I wish I could say that this reflects some epiphany and change in approach, but no, it's just dumb luck I think.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Got just 3 right and lost my match. Got pretty close to "beans" with "beef", but didn't matter - still woulda lost, so I'm not feeling too bad about it

Felt good about Lesotho (remembered FJ and switched from Sri Lanka) and tin (kept looking at stannic, scribbled organic, ferric, and other nonsense on my paper, then wrote St, Sn... and got to tin. The valence of four clue (was it a clue?) didn't help me at all - almost went with Beryllium b/c of that

NHO Screwtape, wasn't getting Zydecko in a gazillion years

Is this season more TV heavy than usual?

Still in first, but this could be the beginning of a slide back to the middle
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got beans because I got it wrong in LL57. I think that of the questions that have been repeated thus far in my career, that one had the shortest echo.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:09 pm Felt good about Lesotho
I ended up going with Lesotho after initially putting down NZ. I was worried some of New Zealand's dependencies such as the Cook Islands would disqualify it.
1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

The only one I got right yesterday was Misty Copeland, and I only knew her from an episode of Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me (IIRC). My scores in theater and classical music were abysmal, so my opponent rightly assigned me 3 for that one, which led me to a win!
Now swimming in the J! pool.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I can't believe the Jeffersons q played so hard. Don't prior listen to Nelly any more??
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:22 pm Don't prior listen to Nelly any more??
Autocorrect?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'm torn. On one hand, "scullery" refers to something completely different from sculling and I think the former should be considered a "close but no cigar" answer. On the other hand, acceptance of "scullery" is my margin of victory, and I'm at #4 in an A rundle at more than two thirds of the way through the season.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am I'm torn. On one hand, "scullery" refers to something completely different from sculling and I think the former should be considered a "close but no cigar" answer. On the other hand, acceptance of "scullery" is my margin of victory, and I'm at #4 in an A rundle at more than two thirds of the way through the season.
I wrote "scull" and I don't know if it was accepted or not. I don't like to look at Friday's result when I sense it's bad until it's Monday and I have bigger problems.

I considered Beverly Hillbillies but switched to the Flintstones, which really did feel like an inspiration. Also hadn't realized what a young pup Queen Latifah is.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:37 am I'm torn. On one hand, "scullery" refers to something completely different from sculling and I think the former should be considered a "close but no cigar" answer. On the other hand, acceptance of "scullery" is my margin of victory, and I'm at #4 in an A rundle at more than two thirds of the way through the season.
I wrote "scull" and I don't know if it was accepted or not. I don't like to look at Friday's result when I sense it's bad until it's Monday and I have bigger problems.

I considered Beverly Hillbillies but switched to the Flintstones, which really did feel like an inspiration. Also hadn't realized what a young pup Queen Latifah is.
Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am I wrote "scull" and I don't know if it was accepted or not. I don't like to look at Friday's result when I sense it's bad until it's Monday and I have bigger problems.

Not recalling your nom de Llam', I can't check if "scull" was accepted or not, but I'm guessing that it was, and that the commissioner didn't want to penalize people who figured out "scull," thought the question compelled a suffix, and chose the wrong one.
I got credit for both scull and my mangled Wensislas. :-)
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

A bad miss in the TV category cost me in a 3(3)-4(4) loss. This is one that will haunt me for a while, especially if I am unable to pull out of the relegation zone and end up back in E rundle next season. I watch The Beverly Hillbillies every morning on MeTV...and have seen every episode many times over the years...but that show never entered my mind when I was trying to come up with the correct answer. I felt really stupid once I saw the answer.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 am
Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 am

I went with "sculls," which is the name that is used in the Olympics. That was deemed corrected.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

(MD17) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: 6(4)-1(1) W 9-7-1 (10th/22)

Should've had a beer on this one. The image of the Clampett's precarious jalopy appeared instantly in my brain as soon as I clicked Submit. Q5 in my head was a 50/50/90 on organ vs. accordion and sure enough I went the wrong way. Like some others here, I entered "sculls" for Q3 and was given credit, grabbing only my second 3PT of the season.

In my years of map and atlas geekery I've seen several that gave distances between points of interest using nautical miles so Q2 was an unusual insta-get. Similarly I don't know why I immediately jumped to Chaka Khan for Q6 given that I don't think I've even heard any of her music, but my only hesitation was "Is it Chaka or Shaka? Meh, Thorsten won't care." (Indeed, I entered "Shaka" to be safe with a sound-alike, and it was accepted.)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest