TOC 2017 Semifinals and Finals: Predictions and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: TOC 2017 Semifinals and Finals: Predictions and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

I'm not as confident as I originally was in my Austin Rogers prediction. The other two have been much more impressive thus far, but I'll stick with the eccentric bartender. I predict he takes the grand prize in a close match that goes down to clue number one hundred twenty-two. If he leads at that point, I believe he'll convert for the championship.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

My money is on Alan
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Newhausen wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:05 pm Third, probably a Pranjal .vs. Alan matchup. Tim is way out of his league because he's fighting two guys in their 20s that have a really good knowledge base ((I seriously can't tell how old Tim looks)).
Tim is 36 years old, for whatever that's worth.
That makes him younger than Austin (and me, for that matter). So how am I supposed to take his FJ! reponse from Wednesday? :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
pretzelgreg
Contributor

Post by pretzelgreg »

Austin, Buzzy or Alan? I like Austin, who is fast and reasonably witty and a New Yorker. Buzzy is very sharp and confident and while I root against his west coast record company sleaze vibe, he is consistent and formidable. Alan is a great combination of hardcore STEM knowledge in a person that lives for the liberal arts; he is young though and it sometimes exposes some cultural knowledge gaps. So? rooting for Austin, though I think Alan will get this.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

zerobandwidth wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:44 pm
Newhausen wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:02 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:05 pm Third, probably a Pranjal .vs. Alan matchup. Tim is way out of his league because he's fighting two guys in their 20s that have a really good knowledge base ((I seriously can't tell how old Tim looks)).
Tim is 36 years old, for whatever that's worth.
That makes him younger than Austin (and me, for that matter). So how am I supposed to take his FJ! reponse from Wednesday? :lol:
Slowly, cautiously, and with hard-earned wisdom.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I guess one of my big questions is, did Buzzy just run out of gas or was this board not to his liking or what? If we see the same Buzzy tomorrow that we saw today, he's coming in third. If we see the Buzzy who played Jason Sterlacci, he's got a good shot at roaring back.

But I have to agree, Alan has become the favorite. Assuming he can keep it together tomorrow for his third straight game (with only a lunch break).
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 pm I guess one of my big questions is, did Buzzy just run out of gas or was this board not to his liking or what? If we see the same Buzzy tomorrow that we saw today, he's coming in third. If we see the Buzzy who played Jason Sterlacci, he's got a good shot at roaring back.

But I have to agree, Alan has become the favorite. Assuming he can keep it together tomorrow for his third straight game (with only a lunch break).
The double scoring correction on Triple Rhyme Time completely deflated them. It was — pun absolutely intended — quite the buzzkill.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest