Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:21 pm No, not Auckland. No, not Christchurch. Shawn! Come on now, dude.

Matt’s math for the FJ! round added up tonight. Missy covered the potential of Shawn doubling. Which he did attempt. Shawn left with $1,000 while he could have had $5K+ and a second game. Not the best way to get a good night’s sleep on taping day or a flight back across the country.
Yeah, if only his New Zealand non-response had been his worst mistake of the game. But no, there goes another shoulda-been-a-winner, giving away another game for failure to study Wagering 101......deep sigh....

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the part of the clue emphasizing the negative aspects of the group (lunatic fringe). Best I could come up with was Cutting Edge. And I was pretty confident with that until, well, I wasn't.

Lash Trash on Deadwood, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, Temple, Hadrian, and (my proudest moment of the night) guanine. Never heard of the connection between guanine and some kind of waste product (or however it was stated) but the guano-guanine connection just came to me. Apparently to be successful on this show you really have to know your shit.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

Very late again on this game. Darn thing called "life" getting in the way of important stuff like Jeopardy! :lol:

R: 23, W: 3, costing 4000. Kind of an expensive day on the errors, all three of which were in the DJ round.
FJ: :(
Coryat: 16,000
LT: Wampum, (Lincoln), Hadrian

I managed to get to "fringe", but couldn't find the right word to pair with it. I went with fringe group. I'll agree with others that this would be an interesting FJ to poll some details on the wrong answers. Here's a bit of background on the history of "lunatic fringe" that I was able to find. And it's a UK site, so that's a plus.

I'm surprised at the TS on Hadrian. I thought "wall" and some combination of England, Scotland, or Great Britain was a pavlov for Hadrian's wall. Guess its not as universal as I thought.

I came close on one of the Motown Lyrics LT, mis-remembering as "you never shop around". Negged myself on that one, although with the proper amount of mumbling, I contend you might get it past the judges.

As to FJ wagering, well, ummm, let's try to figure that out. Matt's wager was the typical "stay ahead of 2nd place if you're both right" wager. Missy seems to have wagered to stay in front of Shawn, guaranteeing her 2nd place if they both got it right. Seeing as either all three right or all three wrong covers about 1/2 of FJ results, that doesn't seem like a wise wager. If both Missy and Shawn are right, Matt is probably going to be right as well. I would suggest that Missy wager to stay in front of Matt on a TS, which would limit her wager to 3000 (less a buck, perhaps). Given that Shawn is a real factor, she would be further limited to stay above Shawn's current score. That would mean a max bet for her of 1199. With those two wagering logically, Shawn should be locked out on a TS. His best hope for a win is to get the question right. And if you have to get it right to win, you may as well go all in and win as much as you can.
--Peter
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,800
47 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Deadwood, wampum, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, Papeete, you better shop around, Hadrian, guanine, Pantheon, Tagus (DD), a heat wave

After a stinky J! round, I had an unbelievable 29 R/0 W in DJ!

Like others, I vacillated between "fringe" and "lunatic fringe," figuring the latter to be an odd name for a hairstyle in 19th-Century Britain. Wish I had considered the fact that the category was Familiar Phrases.
Sprinkles are for winners.