HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 pm I just removed it from my wife's Iphone. Does anybody want to get credit for an extra death? :lol: I won't be putting it on my Droid.

I gather there's a daytime episode with a female DJ? I really can't take the loudmouth bearded guy anymore. I hope he doesn't replace Robert Siegel on NPR :lol: . ( I wonder if Alex knows about him - he's about as big an institution as Bob Ross.)

Best part was seeing the victims fall and it was fun as a group event. Worst part is the continuing bandwidth issues and the time for the sake of 4-5 quality questions. Anxious to follow the boardie's success stories as long as this thread stays up. Who will win the race to $20.01?
There was a Robert Siegel category not too long ago.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

Unless I misunderstood the question on tonight's game, seems like they screwed up pretty badly on one of the questions. They claimed Abu Dhabi was a COUNTRY. I specifically avoided that choice for that very reason. Can anyone confirm or did I just misread the question?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

ChexMix wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm Unless I misunderstood the question on tonight's game, seems like they screwed up pretty badly on one of the questions. They claimed Abu Dhabi was a COUNTRY. I specifically avoided that choice for that very reason. Can anyone confirm or did I just misread the question?
From what I've seen elsewhere, you are correct.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ChexMix wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm Unless I misunderstood the question on tonight's game, seems like they screwed up pretty badly on one of the questions. They claimed Abu Dhabi was a COUNTRY. I specifically avoided that choice for that very reason. Can anyone confirm or did I just misread the question?
You weren’t the only one and you read it right.

The last question was poorly written.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

No, you read it as such. There's a big hullabaloo in the Twittersphere now because of that question. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are both emirates (part of the United Arab Emirates), but they are not independent nations. As someone did mention online, they are similar to how Scotland and Wales are treated in terms of being called "countries."
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

badgerfellow wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 pm
No, you read it as such. There's a big hullabaloo in the Twittersphere now because of that question. Abu Dhabi and Dubai are both emirates (part of the United Arab Emirates), but they are not independent nations. As someone did mention online, they are similar to how Scotland and Wales are treated in terms of being called "countries."
Well good to know I'm not crazy at least. I'm sure that Scotland/Wales comparison will be how they will spin it. Still, a poorly worded question to say the least.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I figured since Dubai was being mentioned on its own, all bets were off, and I said Abu Dhabi.

I lasted to the twelfth question, which I got wrong, and that used up my extra life for some reason (no, I wasn't counted as a winner).

Edit: my extra life came back.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Apparently they gave an extra life to those that got the Abu Dhabi question wrong.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 pm Apparently they gave an extra life to those that got the Abu Dhabi question wrong right.
FTFY.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Got to Q12 last night before succumbing to my achilles heel of trivia -- the movies. Would've been my first win, but alas. It's nice to feel validated in some way. :D

I got a kick out of seeing the Gengis/Kublai Khan question that was pretty much the same as the $2000 defining our relationship clue from Austin Rogers' first game.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Jimmy Kimmel was the guest host tonight. I went to a rock concert last fall where Run for Something had a booth set up, and were holding a “which celebrity should run for office” poll. I wrote in Jimmy’s name; I’m crediting this to good karma.
FE9B723B-4DDD-4745-9E99-2660120799D7.png
FE9B723B-4DDD-4745-9E99-2660120799D7.png (83.29 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 23/24 on today's questions, winning this afternoon and getting out on Q11 with Jimmy.
Spoiler
After this afternoon's Q10, there were still over 3,000 people left, and I decided there was either going to be an answer that knocked a lot of people out, or a lot of winners getting a dollar or two, and that I would prefer going out taking a risk than playing it safe and winning an even smaller pittance than I'd been winning. I was lucky enough to make that decision right when the exact sort of question I was expecting came up, and after that and a lucky guess,
I got $12.35 and now have $22.97 and can cash out.

1/11 afternoon questions
Which of these is usually worn on a finger?
Ring | Cowboy hat | Bow tie
For years, Howard Stern has proclaimed himself "The King of All" what?
Malaysia | Meteors | Media
Featuring 20 scoops of ice cream, the Vermonster is found on what chain's menu?
Baskin-Robbins | Dairy Queen | Ben & Jerry's
Queen Victoria is credited with starting what fashion trend?
Mini dress | Little black dress | White wedding dress
What SportsCenter anchor shares their last name with Linus & Lucy from "Peanuts"?
Jemele Hill | Scott Van Pelt | Kenny Mayne
Which of these celebrities is known for having aviophobia?
Angelina Jolie | John Madden | John Travolta
What is Telluride, Colorado named after?
An element | A governor | A European city
To help first create Maps, Google acquired what company?
MapQuest | Where 2 Technologies | Waze
Catching a catfish with your bare hands is called what?
Strumming | Whiskering | Noodling
Who wrote a #1 hit song for the Monkees?
James Taylor | Neil Diamond | Jackson Browne
The man famously known as the Science Guy holds a patent for which of these items?
Pulse rate monitor | Mechanical Pencil | Ballet shoe
The U.S. has never had a Miss America from what state?
New Mexico | North Dakota | Nebraska
Spoiler
Ring
Media
Ben & Jerry's
White wedding dress
Scott Van Pelt
John Madden
An element
Where 2 Technologies
Noodling
Neil Diamond
Ballet shoe
New Mexico
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

It didn't take long for a parody to surface. Nice work:

syrinx32123
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by syrinx32123 »

the questions go from easy to impossible. I used to play HQ everyday now barely at all
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I had my first win last night and am now the proud owner of $22.13. 446 people split the $10k pot.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

kerryoakie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 pm I had my first win last night and am now the proud owner of $22.13. 446 people split the $10k pot.
I had my first win last night, too. I am quite indebted to whoever it was that gave me an extra life this weekend as it got me past Q11.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Woof wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:40 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 pm I had my first win last night and am now the proud owner of $22.13. 446 people split the $10k pot.
I had my first win last night, too. I am quite indebted to whoever it was that gave me an extra life this weekend as it got me past Q11.
I had a mystery extra life too! I think it got me past question 8 or 9; it was such a blur of adrenaline and excitement that I don't really remember much...
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

Fat fingers cost me my first win just now - apparently you can't switch answers, even during the 10 seconds. Of course, I would have won a kinda annoying $19 and change, but still...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I had the first game where an extra life would have helped yesterday... Missed Q11 and knew Q12.

Considering the format, I think the questions are very well written. For now I'm happy to give them 15 minutes a day. I'm surprised they haven't tried to monetize yet though.