Friday, December 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7660, 2017-12-22

CONTESTANTS
Zach Heinen, an analyst from Burnsville, Minnesota
Donna Brown, a customer service representative from Seattle, Washington
Johnny Leon, a political media analyst from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Johnny made a--Johnny, our new champion, made a big, come-from behind move on yesterday's program. Will he still be champion on Christmas Day? This half-hour will determine that, won't it. Donna and Zach, welcome. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IDIOMS AROUND THE WORLD (4/5)
AIRPORT CODES (4/5)
A DECADE IN THE 20th CENTURY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: You tell us which one.)
IT'S A LIVING (5/5) (Alex: Hey!...)
WEIGHTS & MEASURES (5/5)
TV SHOWS THAT WENT FROM B&W TO COLOR (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Johnny: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Donna: 8 R, 1 W
Zach: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Johnny found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Johnny had $3,600, Donna had $1,800, and Zach was at $800. Johnny wagered $2,000.

A DECADE IN THE 20th CENTURY $800: For bathing beauties, bikinis are introduced

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Johnny: $5,600
Donna: $1,800
Zach: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Zach Heinen is from Minnesota. Zach, my son operates a small Mexican restaurant in New York, and he serves a lot of tacos. You are known as the Chief Taco Officer. Why?

Zach: That is correct, Alex. So my company's very small, and every Thursday, we go to a Mexican restaurant for lunch. And I started organizing it off the record for a while, and then all of a sudden they just appointed me CTO, or Chief Taco Officer.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Donna Brown from Seattle, Washington.

Donna: Hello.

Alex: Met her husband while she was a DJ at her college radio station?

Donna: That's entirely true. 90.5 FM, WEOG Athens, University of Georgia. I did the '80s show, and he did the noise show beforehand. We fought and fought, until we got married.

[Laughter]

Alex: What's the noise show?

Donna: He, uh--noise is like, it's a kind of music that's experimental. So there are themes and motifs and everything, with less structure.

Alex: But you didn't let that influence you?

Donna: Oh no, nope. Our marriage has structure.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Johnny Leon, political media analyst. What kind of analysis do you do?

Johnny: So I track all the advertising spending that different candidates and groups spend and try and keep it all straight.

Alex: Keep it all straight? There is so much being spent. And with the elections coming up next year, it's gonna be even more, right?

Johnny: Mm-hm.

Alex: You're gonna be a busy young man.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AIRPORT CODES $400: When Bill the Cat says, "ACK!" , he may mean the airport on this Massachusetts island
(Donna: What is Cape Cod?)
(Johnny: What is Martha's Vineyard?)

IDIOMS AROUND THE WORLD $600: In the U.S. someone frantic has his hair in this state; in China the same thing happens to the eyebrows
(Alex: Your hair or your eyebrows [*]).
(Donna: Oh! Good thing I didn't say anything.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Johnny: $8,200
Donna: $5,000
Zach: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE (5/5) (Alex: Hey!...)
A MIGHTY LONG-NAMED RIVER (3/4)
MIDDLE "P" (5/5) (Alex: The letter P will be exactly in the center of each correct response.)
SCULPTURE (2/5)
FEARLESS GIRL (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHARGING BULL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Johnny: 10 R, 1 W
Donna: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 2 W
Zach: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Donna snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Johnny had $17,000, Donna had $9,800, and Zach was at $3,800. Donna made it a True Daily Double, wagering $9,800.

CHARGING BULL $1600: This city has a sharp right turn from Mercaderes Street onto Estafeta; easy for a running man, less for a bull
(Donna: Wow. Okay, well, um, let's make it a True Daily Double.)
(Alex: Oh, hello. Alright. For $19,600 and the lead--)
(Donna: Oh, snaps.)
(Alex: Here is your clue.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Donna who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Johnny had $17,400, Donna had $22,800, and Zach was at $3,800. Donna wagered $11,400.

FEARLESS GIRL $1600: A young woman from Chile moves to Calif. during the gold rush in . "Daughter of Fortune" by this author
(Donna: Oh my gosh. Okay.)
(Alex: Now you have the lead at $22,800, are we looking at another True Daily Double?)
(Donna: Uh, no. I'll do $11,400.)
(Donna: Who is [*]?)
(Alex: Yes!)
(Donna: Oh, wow! Cool! Nice!)
(Alex: Donna, are you having a good time?)
(Donna: I would like to think so.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCULPTURE $800: Doctors' offices can have nice art & this organization put a 10-ton Louise Nevelson sculpture outside its D.C. building
(Donna: What is the ADA?)
(Alex: What is the AMA, the [*].)

A MIGHTY LONG-NAMED RIVER $1200: This one of Pittsburgh's three rivers rises in West Virginia and has a National Forest named for it
(Johnny: What is Allegheny?)

FEARLESS GIRL $1200: Mark Twain said his favorite book of all those he had written was his fictional biography of this French lass

FEARLESS GIRL $2000: Marlee & Liz are 12-year-old girls whose 1950s friendship helps fight segregation in "The Lions of" this state capital

SCULPTURE $1600: In 1622 Cardinal Borghese commissioned Bernini to sculpt "Apollo and" this river nymph for his gallery

SCULPTURE $2000: Paul Cezanne's art such as "Large Bathers" featuring reclining nudes was a major influence on this British sculptor

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Donna: $32,600
Johnny: $17,400
Zach: $5,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECORD LABELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Donna: Wager $2,201 to cover Johnny, but no more than $21,799 so as not to fall behind Zach's doubled score.
Johnny: You have the hope of surpassing Donna if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $15,201 to force Donna to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Zach.
Zach: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This label, home to U2 & Bob Marley, was created, fittingly, in Jamaica with an investment of 1,000 pounds sterling

FINAL SCORES
Zach: $5,400 - $0 = $5,400 (What is Columbia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Johnny: $17,400 - $17,300 = $100 (What is Kingston) (3rd place: $1,000)
Donna: $32,600 + $13,000 = $45,600 (What is Island Records?) (New champion: $45,600)
(Alex: Did you risk a lot?)
(Donna: Maybe.)
(Alex: $45,600, Donna, you are going to enjoy the weekend, I know. Come back and play with us again on Christmas, won't you? Wow. That's the record for this season, so far, for 1 day. We'll see you on Monday.)
[ERRATUM: Alex's statement was incorrect. Austin Rogers won $69,000 and $65,600 on 2017-10-03 and 2017-10-02 respectively.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Johnny: $16,200, 23 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Donna: $14,600, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Zach: $5,400, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Johnny: 23/59 = .390
Donna: 19/60 = .317
Zach: 10/58 = .172
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AIRPORT CODES $800: Oh my God! The OMG belongs to Omega Airport in the Kavango region of this African nation

TV SHOWS THAT WENT FROM B&W TO COLOR $800: People must have gotten a shock when this town and its folks like Barney went from black & white to color

WEIGHTS & MEASURES $800: Pharmacists know that a grain equals about 65 of these, a more typical unit for pill doses
(Johnny: What are grams?)

IT'S A LIVING $600: A specialized job in a police force, CSI stands for this, just like on TV
(Johnny: What is crime scene investigation?)
(Alex: Yeah, we'll accept that.)
(Johnny: Crime scene investigators?)
(Alex: Yep, we'll accept that.)

I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE $400: David Morse played a doctor on "St. Elsewhere", George Washington in "John Adams", and a prison guard in this Tom Hanks film

I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE $800: Jennifer Coolidge, a regular in Christopher Guest films and on "2 Broke Girls", was also Stiffler's mom in this 1999 comedy

I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE $1200: A big 2015 for Judy Greer, who was Bryce Dallas Howard's sis in "Jurassic World" and Paul Rudd's ex in this Marvel-ous pic

I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE $1600: Before playing Kent on "Veep", Gary Cole put a live cougar in his son Ricky Bobby's car in this film

I KNOW THAT PERFORMER'S FACE $2000: Memorable roles of the late Powers Boothe included Vice President Noah Daniels on "24" and Curly Bill Brocius in this 1993 western

MIDDLE "P" $1600: Force out, such as air from the lungs
(Donna: What is respirate? [*]?)
(Alex: [*] is correct.)
(Donna: Oh! Okay, cool!)

CHARGING BULL $400: This first letter of the Hebrew alphabet is thought to have derived from a pictograph for bull

CHARGING BULL $2000: In Hinduism, a bull named Nandi is often the transport of choice of this god and his consort Parvati

SCULPTURE $1200: Though the metal came from Europe, some African sculpture has the alliterative term "Benin" this material

FEARLESS GIRL $800: This Louise Fitzhugh heroine isn't a secret agent, she just documents the actions of her schoolmates
(Zach: Who is Nancy Drew?)

A MIGHTY LONG-NAMED RIVER $1600: The Acquacheta river & its thunderous falls are described in Canto 16 of this medieval poem
(Donna: I'll try. Um, what is Paradise Lost?)
(Zach: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Dante's [*]. Yes.)

(The end-of-round signal sounds.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the 1940s
Nantucket
on fire
Pamplona
Isabel Allende
American Medical Association
Monongahela
Joan of Arc
Little Rock
Daphne
Henry Moore
Island Records
Namibia
Mayberry
milligrams
crime scene investigator ("crime scene investigation" accepted)
The Green Mile
American Pie
Ant-Man
Talladega Nights
Tombstone
respire
aleph
Shiva
bronze
Harriet the Spy
the Inferno
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
RECORD LABELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This label, home to U2 & Bob Marley, was created, fittingly, in Jamaica with an investment of 1,000 pounds sterling

Johnny Leon: 17400-17300=100
Donna Brown: 32600+13000=45600 (New Champ)
Zach Heinen: 5400-0=5400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Island Records (Johnny – Kingston) (Zach – Columbia)

Daily Doubles
Johnny: 3600+2000
Donna: 9800+9800
Donna: 22800+11400

Coryats
Johnny: 16200
Donna: 14600
Zach: 5400

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Johnny: 8200
Donna: 5000
Zach: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For TV SHOWS THAT WENT FROM B&W TO COLOR I had off the category:
Spoiler
The Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Lost In Space
F Troop
I Dream of Jeannie
Hogan’s heroes
Gilligan’s Island
The show used the first two of those and added:
Spoiler
The Adventures of Superman
Mayberry from The Andy Griffith Show
And Dragnet.
More are listed here:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/U ... tchToColor

Alex said Donna’s total was the record this season for one day. Wrong. See 10/2 and 10/3. It is the record for day one though.

When I saw RECORD LABELS for the FJ! category I was not optimistic. No such luck for the clue to have been the LA building for Capitol Records or Beatles to Granny Smith. I wrote “Kin” and switched to Reggae to have something on the paper. Somewhere I must have heard of the label for Marley & U2, but not my kind of clue.

Donna bet with gusto adding +$34,200 to her tally on the three big clues she played. During her chat with Alex, Donna mentioned having been a DJ at her college radio station. I wonder if that gig had her see the record label name come across her work station? Of course I may be picturing something old school with a DJ dropping a 45 on a turntable.

Donna & Zach have posted on Reddit, so perhaps they will add some comments here as well?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm When I saw RECORD LABELS for the FJ! category I was not optimistic. No such luck for the clue to have been the LA building for Capitol Records or Beatles to Granny Smith. I wrote “Kin” and switched to Reggae to have something on the paper. Somewhere I must have heard of the label for Marley & U2, but not my kind of clue.
Should have been paying closer attention to LearnedLeague ;) . I missed it then (much to my ex-disk jockey mortification), but I sure wasn't going to miss it now.

https://learnedleague.com/question.php?73&6&5
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:33 pm When I saw RECORD LABELS for the FJ! category I was not optimistic. No such luck for the clue to have been the LA building for Capitol Records or Beatles to Granny Smith. I wrote “Kin” and switched to Reggae to have something on the paper. Somewhere I must have heard of the label for Marley & U2, but not my kind of clue.
Should have been paying closer attention to LearnedLeague ;) . I missed it then (much to my ex-disk jockey mortification), but I sure wasn't going to miss it now.

Thanks, that explains why it rang a faint bell. Without a doubt I am guilty of not paying much attention to questions and answers on LL once I submit. Since it's only six a day, so does not take much time, it would of course benefit me to review them and today was a perfect example. Curious as to what my incorrect answer was in LL I found out I had Rasta back then.

I'm happy it was not a case of getting it on the LL match and then missing it today since it was only 7 months ago.
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

IT'S A LIVING for $200: Represent! :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I missed it on LL and missed it today. I don’t know what I said then but today I started with Rasta and ended with Kingston.

Donna was there to have fun and did so without relying on a schtick. Of course, winning $45,000 makes it easier to have fun. I don’t know if she encountered label names as a college DJ but that job means she is probably more into music than the average Joe. However she learned it, she made it pay off for a nice Christmas present.

Minor nitpick...Don Knotts left The Andy Griffith Show after the last B&W season and wasn’t in the color era, though he did make a few guest appearances.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 30, W: 4 costing 2600
Coryat: 17000
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: on fire, Nantucket

For the Judges: expel instead of respire (argument: respire connotes breathing in and out, not just out, which was the clue)
Another: spouse instead of wife

I'm embarrassed to have gotten 2 wrong in the 20th century decades. Ran weights and measures, got 4 each in TV and idioms (if the judges give me spouse). Didn't do as well in DJ, getting stumped on the performers and managing only one right answer in 3 other categories.

Had no clue on FJ. Wild guessed Apple Records as something that might have been started in Pounds Sterling.

I'll broach the subject. Has Austin died and been reincarnated as a black woman? The occasional surprise at right answers and DD wagering styles are certainly similar.
--Peter
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm Another: spouse instead of wife
I gave myself credit for this, on the assumption that it would be at worst BMS'd and I would have then said wife.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm Should have been paying closer attention to LearnedLeague ;) . I missed it then (much to my ex-disk jockey mortification), but I sure wasn't going to miss it now.

Huh. I got it wrong in May but right today. Awesome.

(Half-heartedly requesting some sort of LLama-related poll for today's FJ?)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:11 pm Should have been paying closer attention to LearnedLeague ;) . I missed it then (much to my ex-disk jockey mortification), but I sure wasn't going to miss it now.

Huh. I got it wrong in May but right today. Awesome.

(Half-heartedly requesting some sort of LLama-related poll for today's FJ?)
+0.75 for getting this from LearnedLeague, +0.25 from extra research after Complete the List about U2
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Donna was very entertaining. I have rarely seen anyone more surprised at their performance.

All but Dragnet in B&W to Color.

I said Expel on Middle P for $1,600. Judges?

Even after the ADA neg, I couldn't think of AMA. Derp.

Soldier = knight never occurred to me. I just thought of knights as knights.

Lach Trash: Monongahela. Thank you, Oak Ridge Boys.

I've heard of Island records, but the TOM just went nowhere for me. I didn't even have a guess.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm I'll broach the subject. Has Austin died and been reincarnated as a black woman? The occasional surprise at right answers and DD wagering styles are certainly similar.
That did not need to be broached.

That was an awesome game to watch. Good for her on the DD's and then FJ in a strong category.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:54 pm
For the Judges: expel instead of respire (argument: respire connotes breathing in and out, not just out, which was the clue)
Same here, on both of the those. Didn't the P clue also include the word "forceful"? I got the feeling expel was the expected response and they had to check if respire had the P in the middle.
hscer

Post by hscer »

Went with Johnny's Kingston WAG in FJ, so no perfect week for me; just another 4/5.

I liked Donna even before her first DD wager. Even ignoring the strategic element, huge DD wagers are really good for the game.

And given her interview plus fearless wagering, I wonder if she was tempted to clavin the "Record Labels" FJ (I know, the game wasn't locked).
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
FJ: :(
LT: Nantucket, Joan of Arc, Little Rock, Daphne, Henry Moore

Instaget on all three Daily Doubles!
For Final, aimed at pound sterling and went for Parlaphone.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I'll broach the subject. Has Austin died and been reincarnated as a black woman? The occasional surprise at right answers and DD wagering styles are certainly similar.
where have you been? she's only the third one in the past two weeks.

For FJ, tried precalling all the obscure record labels--Casablanca, Sire, IRS, Decca, Chrysalis, Kirshner, never got to Island but U2 in the clue made it a gimme. Another one who answered expel instead of respire.
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

hscer wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:07 pm Even ignoring the strategic element, huge DD wagers are really good for the game.
Agreed. Very ballsy bets in both cases, and not ignoring the strategic element, they were the right strategy in both cases.
And given her interview plus fearless wagering, I wonder if she was tempted to clavin the "Record Labels" FJ (I know, the game wasn't locked).
Didn't she Clavin it, though? She only needed to bet $2201 to top a double-up by Johnny. But more importantly, the better wagering strategy is NOT to do a double-up precisely because first is guarding against that bet.

Let's say that Donna makes the $2201 bet to double up Johnny plus one. If she gets it wrong, Donna's at $30,399. If Johnny does the double up, gets it right, he wins, she loses. That's one way to go. But many betting strategies say that the double-up from second is not the best way to go. because first place is expecting it and guarding against it, so that the double up will do you no good either way.

One of the other correct bets from second place is NOT to do the double up, precisely because first place should be guarding against it. And again, the leader should know this as well. From Johnny's position, he could have bet, say $5000 for some additional scratch. This would have gotten him to $22,400 if he were right, and kept him ahead of a double-up by Zach if he had been wrong.

If Johnny did that, and Donna bets her $13,000 and misses, she's down to $19,600 and loses; while with the $2201 bet, she wins either way. I say she Clavined it. Can someone explain to me how she didn't?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,800
48 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Monongahela River, American Medical Association

I loves me some Donna! Those were great, gutty DD wagers. I enjoy getting a TS FJ! right as much as the next guy, but I was happy to see her pick up the sole solve tonight.

Monongahela was yet another clue that argues for getting the contestants a larger/closer monitor for video clues. I doubt the contestants could see that the other two of the "three rivers" were labeled.
heppm01 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 pm
Same here, on both of the those. Didn't the P clue also include the word "forceful"? I got the feeling expel was the expected response and they had to check if respire had the P in the middle.
I had both of these as well, and counted them both correct.
Sprinkles are for winners.