Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19
Posts: 1900
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I don't know how many of you get the Jeopardy calendar each year, but for those of you that do... has this year's been insanely easy, or what? Especially in the last few months. I'm at $115,000 right now... that's easily my best ever. Prior to this year, I've never reached the $100K mark. Hopefully they'll step it up for 2012.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7329
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Volante »

Well, there's also the option that you're getting smarter :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Secret of Kells (10), Warcraft (7), What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10)

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by John Boy »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I don't know how many of you get the Jeopardy calendar each year, but for those of you that do... has this year's been insanely easy, or what? Especially in the last few months. I'm at $115,000 right now... that's easily my best ever. Prior to this year, I've never reached the $100K mark. Hopefully they'll step it up for 2012.
I've gotten one every year for the last dozen or so. Never got much interested in keeping dollar scores, although I keep track of my percentage of correct answers (J! fits in so well with my OCD tendencies). I ordinarily score around 90%, and this year seems about the same.

I don't mind the "smart feeling" I get from getting a whole bunch right.

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Suze »

It's never occurred to me to bother with a Coryat score for a calendar and I'm pretty happy about that.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by dhkendall »

It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7329
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
Well, as far as video games go, until speech recognition becomes flawless, they have to be slightly dumbed down. The NES Jeopardy game I had required you to spell in the answer. Think about that for a second. Need help?

Image

Exactly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Secret of Kells (10), Warcraft (7), What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10)

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by bpmod »

I stopped playing Jeopardy! on the PC about 15 years ago after having the following experience while playing against my very competitive neighbour:
He typed in "mic" in response to a clue where the expected response was "Michael Jackson", and was ruled correct. I typed "rumplestiltski" before time ran out on a clue very similar to the one above, and was ruled incorrect.

So I don't think it's a case of 'dumbing down'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8780
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:I stopped playing Jeopardy! on the PC about 15 years ago after having the following experience while playing against my very competitive neighbour:
He typed in "mic" in response to a clue where the expected response was "Michael Jackson", and was ruled correct. I typed "rumplestiltski" before time ran out on a clue very similar to the one above, and was ruled incorrect.

So I don't think it's a case of 'dumbing down'.

Brian
This is probably why the Wii*, FB, and iPhone games are all multiple choice.

* The Wii has the option of non multiple choice, except for FJ, which is the level I always play it at, but since you can type in the first few characters and it will come up with a list of words that are pre-programmed in to help you, you still know if you're way off (because your option isn't coming up, thus isn't a correct answer) and probably have time to guess again.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

User avatar
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Wimple »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:It seems that J! "dumbs down" their mass distribution materials that contain clues (the Wii game, the FB game, the iPhone game, the calendar, etc.) I suppose to make people feel smarter (hey, look at this, Mabel, these are Jeopardy! clues and I'm getting them right!) The only officially sanctioned J! thing they don't "dumb down" it seems is the online tests, and thank God for that!
Well, as far as video games go, until speech recognition becomes flawless, they have to be slightly dumbed down. The NES Jeopardy game I had required you to spell in the answer. Think about that for a second. Need help?

Image

Exactly.
Ha! I remember that clue coming up! Don't think I played much after that (besides, I'm a terrible speller).

Vanya
The support is non-zero
Posts: 2727
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:10 pm
Contact:

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Vanya »

So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(

bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5424
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
*sigh*
I guess not.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by AlphaDummy »

Vanya wrote:So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
You could always package them with cigars... :P

User avatar
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19
Posts: 1900
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:19 pm
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Volante wrote:Well, there's also the option that you're getting smarter :D
Highly doubtful. :P
Vanya wrote:So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
I heart your avatar. A great, great deal. :D

Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Tehshigelisok »

AlphaDummy wrote:
Vanya wrote:So, no hot women of Jeopardy! calendar? :(
You could always package them with cigars... :P
Well played. I lol'd myself out of my chair.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.

User avatar
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 1336
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:08 am

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by Rex Kramer »

In lieu of a calendar, this might be an appropriate gift for certain J! fans:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81682701/do ... ndly-cameo

It's a reference to the exceptional episode, "The Doctor Dances".

Rex

spell4yr
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:03 am
Location: Merrillville, Ind.

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by spell4yr »

When I was a little kid I had Sports Jeopardy! for the NES and I remember getting marked off on a clue whose correct answer was "Kent Hrbek", because according to the game he spelled his name "Herbeck". So sometimes the game programmers were the issue.

User avatar
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by billy pilgrim »

What would they have done with volleyball's bob ctvrtlik? Seriously, buy a vowel, dude.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

User avatar
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi
Posts: 1241
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Old Hickory, TN

Re: Jeopardy calendar this year: YAWN.

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Rex Kramer wrote:In lieu of a calendar, this might be an appropriate gift for certain J! fans:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/81682701/do ... ndly-cameo

It's a reference to the exceptional episode, "The Doctor Dances".

Rex
My 16-year-old daughter would have loved this for Christmas!

Post Reply